PDA

View Full Version : grandparenting books??

SASM
11-20-2002, 07:39 PM
I thought that it would be nice to buy a book on grandparenting for my parents as a Christmas gift being that their first grandchild will be here shortly after the holidays. I am having the worst time trying to find something suitable. I don't want anything "foofy" and emotional because my Dad would just pass it over to my Mom and that's the end of that. I am hoping to find a book that is useful and fun. Any suggestions???

Thank you.

Sharyn
EDD #1 01.21.03

loewymartin
11-22-2002, 03:22 PM
We found out that we were having a girl right before New Years last year, and we hadn't seen my parents for Christmas (inlaws year!) So, I put together a basket with a pink blanket (so they knew it was going to be a girl) and in it I put "The Nanas and the Papas: A Boomers' Guide to Grandparenting". My mom said it was a great gift (I honestly didn't get much of a chance to flip through it.) If you go to Amazon.com and search for that book, it does bring up some others that sound good too.

I also went to www.bestbabyshower.com and purchased the "Proud Grandma" tshirt for my mom and the "Proud Grandpa" baseball cap for my dad. They came to the hospital when Alia was born bearing their "Proud" attire - it was too cute!

Michelle - Mom to Alia Jailin born 5/16/02

Karenn
11-23-2002, 12:30 AM
I second the "Boomers Guide to Grandparenting." That's the one I got for my own mom. It makes all these references to the pop culture of the 60's. I thought it was very entertaining for my former hippie of a mother. For my more conservative, older MIL, who wouldn't have gotten ANY of the boomer jokes, I got the "ABC's of Grandparenting." It was a basic guide which emphasized how things have changed in the last 20 years, how grandparents can be helpful, as well as what NOT to do as a grandparent. I think she liked it and it wasn't "foofy" or emotional. However, I'm pretty sure neither my dad or FIL read either book.

Karen

daisymommy
11-23-2002, 01:15 PM
To let my parents know I was pregnant we wrapped up a copy of "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff for Grandparents." I don't remember the author of this line of books, but I'm sure you've heard of them. It's a small, cute, stocking stuffer type book with little ideas and quotes (I found out I was pregnant the week before Christmas!)

mspacman
11-25-2002, 12:18 AM
My mom also appreciated the Grandparenting ABC book, which is pretty straightforward and packed with useful info like good kids' books and where to buy them. But don't be surprised if your father doesn't touch it. Most guys (other than the enlightened guys on this board!) just don't do baby books :)