PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Natal Back Pain in Bed?

gour0
11-22-2002, 05:01 PM
An online advice dr said that you can sleep any way you feel comfortable, but you may want to second opinion that. Maybe a wedge?

http://store.babycenter.com/product/for_mom/pregnancy/pillows/3115

JMarie
11-22-2002, 05:09 PM
Honestly, the only way it doesn't hurt me is when DH is supporting my back and I have a pillow between my legs. I picked up a body roll at SAM's club which works great, and DH will either spoon with me or sleep back-to-back. It works okay when he puts his side against my back, but it's better when I get support all the way up. I can't sleep too well on my left side like I'm supposed to, but sleeping on the right is just fine. I usually wake up on my back anyway - even still sometimes on my stomach, which is not comfortable at all! - but I just turn back to my side. I also find sleeping in a recliner feels great on my lower back - if you have one, I would try it. HTH!

JMarie
EDD 2/23/03
Aidan Christopher

Rachels
11-22-2002, 05:19 PM
I had a body pillow while pregnant that completely saved my back. They're about $10 at places like Bed, Bath, & Beyond. Also, it really helped to wear a belly belt during the day. I got the Loving Comfort one at BRU and just lived in it my whole third trimester. It really took a lot of pressure off my lower back, so I was more comfortable during the day and then less sore at night. Hang in there! I know how uncomfortable it can be.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

mama2be
11-22-2002, 07:03 PM
I just got into my 27th week...and can tell you these past 5 days or so I am almost crying every night when I go to bed with back pain. My pain is about where my bra strap in the back would be. ABout 8:00Pm or so it just hurts sooo bad...

I did start going to a chiropractor about one month ago (insurance pays for almost all of it) but haven't fit it into my schedue for the past two weeks. When I started going to the chiropractor my back pain was "lower back".

I have only gained 7 pounds so I don't know why I am in this much pain, everyone says it is becasue my weight is distributed differently now...

DH now says he has back pain...he is getting all of my symptoms which takes away from the attention I want for my pain :(:(:(

bnme
11-22-2002, 08:37 PM
I have a body pillow from OneStepAhead.com and I love it! I would not be able to sleep without it. By time the evening rolls around my lower back is killing me. Then, by bed time it has radiated halfway up my back (I just started my 36 week).

The pillow is like a long candy cane, with a cane on both sides, so it offers support under your head, to your back and between your legs. The second 'cane' then wraps around to tuck under your belly. This has been better for me than just using a body pillow because of the support in differnt areas. Its easier for me than using multiple pillows, though that could work, too.

This is easier than trying to explain....
http://www.onestepahead.com/jump.jsp?lGen=detail&itemID=538&itemType=PRODUCT&iProductID=538

Anyway, I totally reccomend it. I have been using it since about 5 months preg. Although I go to bed in pain, I wake up feeling great...that was not the case before I had the pillow.

That being said, if you try a regular body pillow, which is probably cheaper, and that helps then I'd go with that

mamahill
11-22-2002, 09:29 PM
I had nasty sciatic pain that was only (somewhat) alleviated during the day by wearing a maternity belt I purchased at Motherhood for about $12. Best money I spent all pregnancy. But I must say that when it came to sleeping, I couldn't STAND sleeping only on my sides. I slept however felt comfortable (including stomach) until about the 22nd week when the baby's squirming wouldn't let me sleep. Then I slept on my back a LOT. I know what you mean about it feeling better that way, so I asked my doctor why I couldn't sleep on my back. He said that the weight of the baby pushes on a huge vein, restricting blood flow. "So is that bad for the baby, or bad for me?" I asked. He said that it didn't hurt the baby, just that my legs might fall asleep after a while. That was all I needed to know - I alternated side-sleeping with back-sleeping for the rest of my pregnancy (I know, some of you are gasping right now!), up until delivery. Towards the end, I could only be on my back for 10-15 minutes before it began to bother me, but I just needed that release every now and then. Just thought I'd throw in my experience. HTH -- good luck, I never realized how crippling back pain could be until I got pregnant!

kfcboston
11-22-2002, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the advice and support, everyone! Good to know I'm not alone, although I wish for everyone else's sake I was! I'm tempted to start with the $10 body pillow and see how it goes. I may very well have to invest in a belly belt too, since I'm already catching myself occasionally holding up my belly when I walk!

egoldber
11-22-2002, 11:41 PM
I also had the $10 body pillow from BB&B and it was great. I had terrible sciatic back pain as well, espcially in the third trimester. Unfortunately, I found that when sleeping on my back in the third trimester, I did sometimes get dizzy and lightheaded from the pressure on the blood vessels, so I could only sleep (poorly) on my side.

It will all be over soon enough and well worth it. :)

Karenn
11-23-2002, 12:15 AM
I found that when I used a lumbar support pillow during the day when I was sitting, my back wouldn't hurt nearly as much at night in bed. The pillow I had you would place in the small of your back. Mine was a shower gift from a very wise friend, but I think you might be able to find one at a "Relax the Back" store or something like that. And actually, I was able to use a small rectangular couch pillow (maybe 12 inches square) if I was ever without my back pillow. I got so that I wouldn't go anywhere without that pillow. I even hauled it into the movie theater with me! It was the best shower gift I ever got!

Karen

kfcboston
08-25-2003, 11:16 PM
Hello everyone! Frequent lurker, occasional poster. I'm in my 26th week with baby #1, and have just begun to experience nagging, although not brutal, back pain when trying to fall asleep. As I'm under the impression I'm to try to avoid sleeping on my back (which I can still do, and it alleviates the pain), anyone have any suggestions/experiences? Maybe a body pillow? Seems if I had something to lean back on without rolling over onto my back, it might help. Thanks!

Katie

Due with #1, 3/7/02!!