PDA

View Full Version : 4D Ultrasounds -- anyone had one done? Recommendations?

etwahl
11-22-2002, 03:59 PM
We're thinking about getting one done, after seeing the incredible GE commercials on tv. Was just curious if anyone else had done one. We would have to pay about $200 cash (not covered by insurance) but you get a video, cd and a few other things. Plus it seems like a much better method of determining sex, especially since you typically have them between 26-32 weeks. Our first ultrasound through the hospital said they thought it was a girl, but not sure.

Just curious :)

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

m2tandk
11-22-2002, 04:04 PM
I haven't had one but a friend did and it was amazing! The pictures were so darn clear! I mean, you could actually tell what the baby looked like. I am definitely going to pay for one when we get PG again!

Kelly
TTC #3

egoldber
11-22-2002, 05:12 PM
Not a doctor, but our ultrasound tech told us that it is actually easier to determine gender and other things when the baby is gestationally younger. That is why the medical ones are done at an earlier age, after important structures have all formed, but before the baby gets too big. Once they are older, larger and the space is more cramped, it is harder to get clearer images.

Determining gender is a hit or miss thing depending on if your baby cooperates that day :) . The 4D things do seem fun. There was a place near where we lived in California that did these so-called "vanity" ultrasounds, but we couldn't bring ourselves to spend that kind if money. :) But it does sound fun.

mama2be
11-22-2002, 07:11 PM
Tammy,

I have had 5 ultrasounds (I was considered alittle risky due to being 35 and miscarriage last year) so my OB sent me to a "grand poo-bah" who evidently had a 4D but didn't use it (????don't know why)...

I just got the 3D but was very happy with it...he actually "predicted" the sex of my baby at 13 weeks. He said that the genitals look the same at this point BUT that the females are lateral with the body and the males are elevated. I then went back several weeks later and I could kind of tell it was a boy at that time. It was my 18 week or so ultrasound that looked the best becasue he was not so crammed. He called it with total confidence!!!

My last US was done at about 22 weeks...and I really didn't enjoy it like the earlier one becaseu he (baby) was all crammed in there...my pics of his head are close ups as opposed to the earlier body shots.
BUT on this one he was clearly a boy!!!! ONe of the only things I was able to notice on that one.

On one of the boards (don't know if it is true) but it is rumored that the 4D ad on TV is actually a perfect babydoll being scanned and not a real human. I've wondered if that was true. You and your Dr might beable to think of some creative way to get your insurance to cover this...ask his/her help in putting down certain diagnosis to cover you there...:)

Keep us posted!!!!

maddeesmom
11-22-2002, 10:33 PM
I had a 4D ultrasound done at 18 weeks, 22 weeks, and 26 weeks. These were done in my doctors office (he does all his ultrasounds in house). The video is amazing. We don't have a very clear picture of her face yet because she won't face the right way. On the video you can make out most features. I have seen hair on her head, the bottom of her foot, and the way the side of her face looks. As far as determining sex the doctor had a hard time with the 3D ultrasound but as soon as he look with the 4D he knew. Hope that helps some.

mama2be
11-22-2002, 10:58 PM
WOW, If you can see hair on the head it sounds like there is a huge difference between the 3 and 4D...now I'm mad at this Doctor's office who acted to me like there was not that big of a difference:(...I'm sure everyone would bug them to death if they said otherwise...we'd all want the 4D.

Also I was thinking about it...even if it is covered by insurance after you pay your percentage and co-pay it still is not free, so $200 would be worth it to me to do too...

We have several of our pics of ultrasounds in gold frames thru out the house :)

etwahl
11-22-2002, 11:14 PM
Our first two regular ultrasounds were totally covered because we have insurance through the military. The package for $185 includes a 35 minute video, 4 black and white photes, 4 4x5 color photos, and a cd with all the pictures. They said if they weren't able to do gender determination, then they would have us back another time for free.

We're starting to lean towards having it done.

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

mama2be
11-22-2002, 11:18 PM
I would too...the pictures will be with you (and baby) forever :)
I'd love to see them, I know on parents place some folks have "posted" their ultrasound pics. If you can please do!!!!

etwahl
11-22-2002, 11:20 PM
I'll definitely post them. I think it will be good for others to see what the technology is like IRL (vs commercials) and help them make their decisions also!

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

maddeesmom
11-22-2002, 11:46 PM
I go back to the doctor on 12/3. He wants to try to get us a picture, if we get one I will post it. Lucky for me my doctor has the lastest equipment. He bills the insurance for $250, which my insurance covers all of. We can then have as many ultrasounds as we would like or that the doctor orders (which in my case as been quite a few). I have a few pictures now, that I could post of the baby but its kind of hard to make out much (she was smaller than they thought).

cara1
11-25-2002, 09:20 AM
Just thought I'd let you all know what happened to me when I tried to preserve my (regular) Ultrasound pictures. Because I was worried about them fading over time, I took them to Staples to have them laminated. Apparently, this was a big mistake. The ultrasound paper is not compatible with the heat-producing laminating maching. My pictures were all wiped out into blackness.

If you want to preserve yours, I suggest making a color xerox first, and then laminating the copy.

Just wouldn't want $200 on that 4D fancy stuff, as well as precious memories, be destroyed for anyone else.

mama2be
11-25-2002, 10:20 AM
OH Cara...gee they should tell us that at the doctors office!!! Who would ever have guessed that. Now my docotr keeps some of the pics for his file. I am not certain if they are as adorable as the ones that he has allowed me to take, but I hope you have called them to get their copies.

egoldber
11-25-2002, 10:52 AM
An US tech warned us about this. She said to go to a scrapbooking store where apparently they can do a "cold" lamination process. I have not actually done this myself, so I can't say if it works, but just an FYI.

HTH,