PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone done or thinking of doing Hypnobirthing?

etwahl
11-22-2002, 11:23 PM
I was talking to my mid-wife today about natural childbirth. I know most people will think I'm crazy, but after reading all my books, I'd like to attempt natural childbirth. She told me to look into hypnobirthing. Has anyone done it or heard of someone who's done it? I'm curious if it's any good.

My plan is to attempt it with natural childbirth, learning as many techniques as possible, but knowing that if it's just too painful, I'll get the epidural.

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

mama2be
11-23-2002, 01:55 AM
Tammy,

I don't know much about hypnobirthing BUT am planning a water birth (naturally). If you go to the parents place boards there is an unmedicated board. I found a lot of it debating amoungst themselves and too opinionated about folks wanting medicated births that I don't really lurk it much. BUT for research purposes it might help you. I am one to feel that if a women wants to give birth on her head with all of the meds that her medical professional OKs it is not only none of my business but I support what they decide. (I know you saw my previous post about his when discussing the "asking twin's mom's question")...I like to see women support eachother in any "mom related" issue...we need to!!!

When I looked into the water birth I did a search and went to the birth stories of folks and read those...I am sure that you can find hyponotherapy ones too. Let me know if you can not and I will help you search.

I'm going to a birth center which I think will help me with my decision since you are surrounded by that environment there. ARe there birth centers where you live? If so you can have access to their library too...I know the one I am going to is open to whoever walks in to use it as a resource not just their patients.

Keep me posted :)

Rachels
11-23-2002, 09:23 AM
You're not crazy. Women have been birthing naturally for all of human history. Only in the last 60 years have we started routinely being medicated for birth. Your body has done a perfect job of stretching and accommodating to grow your baby, and it's certainly capable of stretchiing to let it out! If you'd like to give birth without medication, you can, and don't let anyone tell you you're doing a ridiculous thing!

Lots of people find hypnobirthing helpful. I agree with your thoughts about learning as many techniques as possible, though. What helps you at one moment may not be as effective the next. That said, natural birth is not really a cerebral process. You won't really be using your head much-- you'll just turn inward and let your body do its work.

There ARE things that make natural birthing harder, such as having to stay in bed with monitors hooked to you, not being allowed to eat or drink, etc. And lying on your back to push actuallly decreases the diameter of the birth canal by about 30%. You'll have a much easier time with less risk of episiotomy or tearing if you push semi-reclining, upright, or on your hands and knees. You might talk to your midwife about these options ahead of time. I can also point you toward some great natural birth books if you're interested.

My personal mantra has become, "Birth is very hard work, and you can absolutely do it!"

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

etwahl
11-23-2002, 11:18 AM
Rachel, please do point me in the direction of some natural birth books. I got an email back from the woman who runs the hypnobirthing local and I don't think it's going to fit in with my husband's schedule. So while we'll still be taking childbirth classes at the hospital, I think the more I read on it, and can do at home by myself, the better.

Thanks so much for the feedback and encouragement!

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

Rachels
11-23-2002, 05:51 PM
Hi, Tammy. These are my favorites, all touting stuff that's very research-based:

*The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth* - Henci Goer
*Gentle Birth Choices* - Barbara Harper
*Immaculate Deception* - Suzanne Arms
*Active Birth* - Janet Balaskas
*The Birth Book* - Dr. William Sears
-- I also like Gayle Peterson's books and Sheila Kitzinger's books.

Hope this helps!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

etwahl
11-23-2002, 06:52 PM
Thanks so much. I will definitely check them out! Btw, I don't want to be too intrusive, but do you have a story to tell that might give me greater insight into this?

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

Rachels
11-23-2002, 08:10 PM
Not too intrusive at all. I wrote my dissertation about birthing options and then had a natural birth myself. What would be helpful to know? You can post here, or email me at [email protected]. I'm glad to offer whatever support I can. The other difference between birthing in this country in this century and birth in most other places at most other times is that women now aren't as routinely supporting one another during pregnancy, birth, and early postpartum. We don't need it any less, though. I'm glad to do what I can.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

mama2be
11-24-2002, 05:15 AM
I just noticed Parents Place has a board dedicated to hypnobirth, this is in addition to the "non medicated" board...

http://boards.parentsplace.com/messages/get/pphypnobirth27.html

nohomama
11-24-2002, 09:38 AM
Tammy,

Rachel is right! You are NOT crazy! I had a natural birth AT HOME. Drugs weren't even an option in that setting. It was incredibly hard work (27 hours from beginning to end) and toward the end I was asking for drugs (a friend who had all four of her children without medication told me she asked for drugs during every labor) but even if I had been in a hospital setting, it would have been too late for an epidural.

I also agree with Rachel's book recommendations. I've read most of them at one time or another, some while preparing for labor myself and others when I took a course in becoming a labor assistant. I particularly liked "Gentle Birth Choices." My one caveat about these books is that they are all biased towards unmedicated birth, a bias I happen to share. However, I think its important to stay open minded and receptive to every option you have while laboring. I believe it's when we close ourselves off to something entirely that we're often faced with challenging situations when the thing we are most resistant to is the best course of action.

You sound like you're heading towards labor with a really health attitude and I wish you the best of luck.

newbelly2002
11-24-2002, 09:39 AM
Tammy,

A good friend of mine attended the Hypnobirthing courses and used it during her (albeit short--45 minutes total!) delivery. She said it worked wonders for her and her husband. Even if you can just get the tapes, she suggested, it helps.

I tried to go the natural route in a hospital. They were VERY accomodating which provided the best of both worlds. I had a rather drawn out labor (18 plus hours of 3 minute contractions) so after 5 hours, I had to get some help. I avoided the epidural but did have some narcotics to "take off the edge" (and boy was that SOME edge!). I would suggest having a birth plan but being open minded because nature has her own way of pushing things through--pardon the pun.

Good luck!
Paula

egoldber
11-24-2002, 11:09 AM
I have not looked into this personally, but I did see an episode of "Birth Day" on Discovery Health where a woman was using hypnobirthing techniques in an effort to VBAC. (I watch all the VBAC related episodes, since I had a C section with Sarah.) She had hired a doula to help her with the hypnobirth. It seemed to work for this woman. Also, I did not have a doula with Sarah, but after reading and talking with people who did, I will probably hire a doula for my next child. This is something that you may want to look into, although I'm not sure how this would work with a midwife as well.

Also, one of my DH's cousins (who I don't know particularly well, but I will be seeing next week over the holidays) used hypnobirthing for the birth of her second child. I could talk to her if you like.

HTH,

etwahl
11-25-2002, 01:20 AM
Beth, that would be great if you could talk to your DH's cousin about her hypnobirthing experience. I would be extremely interested. We are currently trying to figure out how to fit it into our schedule, as we really think it would be a good idea.

Btw, what is VBAC?

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

egoldber
11-25-2002, 01:25 AM
VBAC = vaginal birth after cesarean

Rachels
11-25-2002, 11:14 AM
Doulas are wonderful. I had a doula and two midwives, plus DH, my mom, and a nurse. I had a LONG labor with a posterior baby, and there was plenty for everybody to do. I wouldn't even consider giving birth again without a doula.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

nohomama
11-25-2002, 03:26 PM
I agree with Rachel again. I didn't actually have a doula at my birth but had good female friend who happened to be a L&D nurse. I think its extremely important to have ample support during labor and that doulas/labor assistants can fill that need. A.L.A.C.E. (Association of Labor Assistants and Childbirth Educators) is one of several organizations that can provide with more information on the topic if any are interested.

ceecee
12-03-2002, 05:04 PM
Hi Tammy,
I am due in January of 2003 and am using hypnobirthing. There are lots of resources out there. To read more info and to find a practitioner in your area go to http://www.hypnobirthing.com/. There is also a great site for another program which utilizes hypnosis for childbirth http://www.hypnobabies.com/pages/895069/index.htm. Both sites are great places to start. The woman who sponsors the hypnobabies.com site has a great resource group on yahoo at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HypnoBabies/. You can join the group and ask all sorts of questions. I think this has been the most valuable resource I've had so far. From the Hypnobirthing Institute I was referred to a hypnotherapist in my area. I went through two sessions with her and then the rest is reading the material, and listening to tapes and practice, practice practice. It IS a time committment but after reading dozens of birth stories, it seems that on some level or another all women who have used this approach have benefitted from it. Check it out.
Cheryl

etwahl
12-03-2002, 05:12 PM
Cheryl,

Thanks for the information. I would be VERY interested in hearing how your birth went afterwards. We actually just signed up for a 10 hour course through someone local. It seems really good. The cost is $250 including the book and tapes. We were lucky to have it fall on two Saturdays (5 hours each) which makes it easier to commit schedule-wise.

I'll definitely check those web sites.

If you are not too busy or too tired after the birth, I think it would be a great benefit for me (and anyone else considering hypnobirthing) if you could post your results on this site.

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

ceecee
12-03-2002, 07:34 PM
Tammy,
Hopefully I won't be too tired/busy. Will be happy to post. In the meantime, there are lots of hypnomoms' birth stories on the sites I mentioned, so check those out!
Good luck with your practicing.
Cheryl

egoldber
12-03-2002, 10:27 PM
FYI, I spoke with my DH's cousin over the holidays. I must have just imagined that she used hypnobirthing!!! LOL! But I KNOW we talked about it in the past, so maybe she was just suggesting it for me, and I thought she meant she had used it herself.

Sorry!