PDA

View Full Version : rolling over?

jojo2324
11-25-2002, 03:55 PM
Just a question about rolling over. Do you think it is more difficult to roll over if the legs are not free? DS sleeps in a sack, and he's inches away from rolling over, but I am becoming overly paranoid about the SIDS risk. I have heard of several instances where SIDS occurred with babies who had just started to roll over (but hadn't quite mastered it), and past the 2-4 month peak time. I would think that since he doesn't have full use of his legs it would be more difficult. And the sleep sack would make it harder for him to get good "traction" on the mattress.

I should just stop worrying so much. He sleeps with us most of the time and I know that puts him at greater risk, but I feel more secure with him next to me. He doesn't move so much, but I find that he does scoot around the crib a little bit (those few mintes he's there!:)). Once babies start rolling over, is it normal for them to do so in their sleep? I guess all babies are different.

caroliner
11-25-2002, 04:25 PM
Caroline is about a week older than your son and she too sleeps in a sak. She has been rolling back to tummy for a while and I was a bit worried about her rolling in her crib since she cannot go the other way yet. When she has rolled in the crib, she has made it over and either calls to me if she is stuck or has even slept on her belly with her head turned. At first, I thought, oh she should not sleep on her belly, but then I read that once they can roll on their own and have the ability to lift their head, it is OK. I think you are probably fine. When she is in our bed, she does not roll.

mama2be
11-25-2002, 06:20 PM
This post makes me think of something I saw yesterday at Target. It has borders that keep a baby from being able to roll over and their head has a little place too. Hard to explain...but it is as if you rolled up towels and put them arond the head...left side of body and right side of body.

Do I need one of these...would it help you, maybe your baby is too old for one now??? I almost bought it...

Karenn
11-25-2002, 07:27 PM
Colin has been rolling over in his crib lately instead of sleeping. I had a sleep positioner from when he was a newborn and we used to sleep him on his side. It sounds like that might be what you're describing at Target... I tried putting him in that again to see if it would keep him from flipping over, and he just flipped right out of it! Recently he's started to roll the other way, and that's helping a little. I haven't found anything that helps. I guess I should just be glad his motor skills are developing! :)

Karen

nohomama
11-25-2002, 08:39 PM
Just wanted to mention that Mothering magazine recently had a issue devoted to sleep. There were a number of indept articles one of which includes the results of a study that showed SIDS rates are LOWER in kids that cosleep. If your interested you might look for it at your local library. I believe it was issue before last.

jojo2324
11-25-2002, 09:23 PM
I too have heard that co-sleeping lowers the risk, but mainly from the Sears library. He didn't offer any evidence to support it, and I took it with a grain of salt. But thanks for the tip about the magazine...Now if I get to the library before he's twelve...

Annette_C
11-25-2002, 10:58 PM
Joanne,
Sabrina sleeps in sack also and is not able to roll in it, although she can roll over (but not roll back yet) during the day, while she plays.
I think you're right about not having full control of the legs in a sack, at least not enough to roll.
I worry too about SIDS but I've watched her move around (and believe me, she moves around a lot!)in the crib while trying to fall asleep and she has never rolled.
HTH
Annette :)
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02

Shirale
11-26-2002, 10:13 AM
Once Amira started rolling over (especially both ways!) she also started rolling around constantly in her sleep! When she learned to sit she would sometimes end up sitting in her sleep! Now that she is learning to stand- well, you get the point! She jumps up as soon as she is somewhat awake- so, all this is very normal with babies learning new skills! In terms of SIDS, as long as there is nothing plush for them to bury their faces in in the crib, and they are able to lift their heads- they are usually ok! Sleeping in a sack is definitly a safe thing- and as long as he has a chance to roll around during the day- it should not be a problem!!!

nigele
11-26-2002, 11:03 AM
Joanne,

Here is an exerpt of an article I read on the SIDS Alliance web site along with a link to the article:

"Designed in accordance with CPSC warnings about the dangers of soft bedding in cribs, as well as blanket-free sleeping suggestions from the SIDS Alliance and it's Back-To-Sleep partners, the SleepSackā„¢ has a sleeveless, sack-like design that keeps fabric away from the face and head. Easy to slip on over regular sleepwear, it makes it harder for babies to roll on their tummies, which is also a risk factor for SIDS."

http://www.sidsalliance.org/Documents/halo.asp

Hope this helps!

Rachels
11-26-2002, 12:16 PM
Just wanted to echo that SIDS rates are lower for cosleeping babies. I've read some of the studies myself, and they're solid. Among other things, your breathing reminds your baby to breathe, and your awareness of him when he's in bed with you means you'd likely wake up if he were in trouble. Also, rolling takes effort at first. He's not going to roll by mistake, and once he can, he will be able to easily roll back. In the meantime, if he rolls and gets uncomfortable, he'll whimper and you'll wake up.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02