PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know anything about Pilates?

kathsmom
12-01-2002, 05:30 PM
I need to lose about 15 post-partum pounds and have seen this exercise method mentioned in magazines and on TV. I can't get to a studio to do these exercises, because they are too far from my home. Can I use a videotape and have success? I have seen the Pilates machine on QVC and Denise Austin has a Pilates video (on babycenter.com I think). I really need to lose this weight and get in shape, per my doctor's advice. Any information would be appreciated!

Toni - mom to Katherine (5/19/96) and Andrew (9/23/02)

nohomama
12-01-2002, 06:19 PM
I've been doing Pilates on and off for 15 years. I started when I was a dancer as a way of building strength and then got serious about it again 3 years ago when I moved to an area with several Pilates studios (one of which I now run my massage practice out of).

While you could incorporate Pilates into a weight loss "regime," I think you'd be disappointed with your results if Pilates was your sole form of exercise. To loose weight you need to burn calories, and to do that you need to increase your heart rate with aerobic exercise. While Pilates can get your heart beating, in much the same way yoga does, it's hardly a form of aerobic exercise.

I can't comment on either the QVC Reformer or the Denise Austin video, but I can recommend the book "The Pilates Body" by Brooke Siler. It's a VERY good book with step-by-step photographs and detailed instructions. Exercises range from beginner to advanced and require no special equipment (a yoga or exercise mat is helpful but not necessary). Siler also explains how to modify exercises and avoid injury for those with chronic back or joint problems, in addition to offering advice about proper technique/form.

HTH,

JMarie
12-01-2002, 06:31 PM
I've taken Pilates classes since I was in junior high (gymnastics) and absolutely LOVE it! I was taking classes through my fitness center until 12 weeks and will be doing yoga until Aidan arrives. I've heard that the Living Arts videos are terrific, and I just saw a Reformer machine (Reebok brand) at Target for $190. You can also get tapes and DVDs at Sam's Club at very reasonable prices, but I'm not sure who puts them out. However, before buying a machine, get an introductory videotape and see how you like the floor work. Then move up to the bands and circle, and if you're completely sold on this method of exercise, THEN get the reformer. It's a great way to build core strength and elongate your muscles and it's a huge stress reliever. If you do get into this, you will be just amazed at your core strength! I would also suggest getting some weights, since weight training helps boost your metabolism even more and will help with the weight loss. Okay, I'm starting to sound like my trainer... HTH!

JMarie
EDD 2/23/03
Aidan Christopher

kathsmom
12-01-2002, 11:58 PM
Sarah and JMarie,

Thank you so much for responding to my post. I have been interested in Pilates (and yoga) for a while now. I would like to incorporate some type of aerobic activity as well, as you suggested Sarah. JMarie, I do have some light hand weights that I could use.

Could you recommend any other books or videos for the aerobic exercises? I have Jane Fonda's Lower Body Solution that I really like, but would like any suggestions to vary the routine. I want to join a YMCA or a gym, but DH starts his new job tomorrow. We are moving to the Raleigh, NC area as soon as we can put our house on the market and sell it. At this point, I just have to do something around the house when DS takes a nap and DD is at kindergarten! I am just really concerned about my weight and health, especially since my mom's doctor wants to put her on Lipitor to lower her cholesterol - he said that even though she is following his recommendations in regards to eating and exercise, she still has elevated levels and that hers is more than likely hereditary. My cholesterol levels were quite elevated when my blood was taken during pregnancy (I also had high blood pressure due to the pregnancy and had to be induced 1 week early).

Thanks again!

mama2be
12-02-2002, 11:25 AM
Kathy,

I have heard do not take into account your cholesterol level when you are pregnant. So I hope that makes you feel better. It evidently is of no use to judge it. I don't know where I read it but I did read that, not just thru "word of mouth"...so don't get discouraged there...

I would have it taken now that your not pregnant and go from there...

HTH...:)

JMarie
12-02-2002, 11:45 AM
I have heard that Denise Austin's tapes are great - really easy to follow and not too high impact. I happen to love the Crunch fitness videos and the "...of Steel" videos, but I don't know that I would recommend those to someone just starting out. They are a little intense and I actually had to work up to them. Try to find some nice introductory videos - see if your local library has some you can check out or maybe rent from a video store. That way you're not shelling out a lot of money on something you end up hating. I ended up swapping with friends to find what I liked. I really liked Tae-Bo, but the music was terrible and the movements did not stay on the beat, so it drove me crazy. After a while I just watched it with the sound off and a dance CD playing on the stereo. HTH!

JMarie
EDD 2/23/03
Aidan Christopher

sntm
12-02-2002, 12:38 PM
I have a step tape by Keli Roberts that I love, one of the few I can do again and again and not get bored. She gives very good directions and the routines are complicated enough that they don't get too repetitive. Plus she has a very cool Australian accent.

Agree with the Tae-Bo tapes being pretty poor with regards to direction and music. One that I have has a section where they keep messing up the counting and it irritates me so much I lose my place. Denise Austin tapes are low-impact but kind of boring - you spend a lot of time walking back and forth.

If you don't join a gym, consider getting a friend to join you. I'm a lot more motivated when there is someone else there, otherwise I will pull the "I'm almost done, I might as well stop now and watch some TV." The best was when I went to the Y with my mom -- because it required a trip and we would both go, we would stay for a couple of hours and take a steam afterwards. Man, I miss being in shape!

HTH

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03

kathsmom
12-03-2002, 12:43 AM
Thank you all for responding to me! I appreciate all of your suggestions. I was interested in the Tae Bo tapes, but I have enough trouble following the instructors (until I get used to the routine). I will definitely check out the library and Blockbuster video and see which ones I might like to purchase (books and/or tapes).

You wouldn't know it looking at me now, but I did run in college (undergrad). Got to be lazy in graduate school (working 3 jobs and taking classes left little time for exercise!). After grad school, I joined the YMCA and a friend of mine and I would meet at 5:30 a.m. 2-3 days a week and walk/run the track or do the stairmaster.

Right now I am feeling like the biggest and ugliest slug. I told myself that after Andrew was born, I was going to to some self-improvement things. I did get my hair cut and a semi-permanent color put on to hide the gray hairs, but that is as far as I have gotten. It is so bad that I am still wearing maternity clothes my SIL loaned me, because I can't fit into my pre-pregnancy clothes. I just don't want to go out and buy new clothes in a larger size. I can't even fit into my "fat" jeans. To top it off, my feet grew again with DS, so now I have ratty old Nikes to wear and 1 pair of new pumps I had to buy to wear to a wedding 2 weeks ago.

Sorry for the "ranting" and "raving" - just going through a little pity party tonight.

mspacman
12-03-2002, 02:17 AM
If you want advice on videos, a really good site to check out is http://www.videofitness.com They have a pregnancy section and even a postpartum check-in to help with motivation. I like videos by the Firm and Kathy Smith myself.