PDA

View Full Version : Los Angeles-area stores?

julie_scott
12-01-2002, 07:44 PM
Anybody out there have suggestions about LA-area baby stores? I'm specifically interested in shops in the Studio City/Sherman Oaks area. I'm not interested at all in the big shops -- Babys R Us and the like -- because I'd rather spend a few extra dollars than deal with the nightmare of parking, no service, long lines, etc.

Anyone have experience with The Juvenile Shop or The Baby Store, both on Ventura Blvd.?

I'm at twenty weeks so I have a while to go...but it seems from reading the Baby Bargains book that I need to get going on the big items that might take a while to arrive.

Looking forward to advice anyone can offer.

Thanks!

emilys
12-02-2002, 11:03 PM
hi, I live in Los Feliz. The Juvenile Shop has great service as does Right Start which is also nearby there (and in several LA area malls). I've never been to The Baby Store.

But I have to say, while at first I didn't think I would (for the same reasons you said) I ultimately was really glad I registered at Babies R Us -- they immediately put the registry on-line (via Amazon) and I could obsessively research and make changes/additions from home which I did a lot!

I did a lot of research via the Baby Bargains book and message board, and asking all my friends (I'm one of the last to have a baby, it took us years), so the fact that Babies R Us has not-the-greatest (sometimes REALLY POOR) service in terms of product knowledge was never a real problem for me. (I gave up on getting a crib question answered there one day...) But they always have plenty of parking, though I admit I think I usually went on weekdays, not weekends, and I've only been there (the one in Sherman Oaks) about 4 times. They have their registry thing down pat, all computerized, and I never had to wait for help with that. The check out lines can be fast or horribly slow but I don't actually BUY that much from them, just registered. And they often have coupons which makes their low prices even lower.

The best thing is that we have family and friends all over the country, so people could order stuff on-line or go to Toys R Us or Babies R Us where they live. We just had our shower two weeks ago and it's been a non-stop avalanche of packages coming from Amazon/BabiesRUs.com. The UPS guy is here every day. Of course people send lots of gifts and clothes that have nothing to do with the registry and that's great too. it's all good.

Anyway, just my two cents even though you are right, the service at a superstore is not nearly as good as at the smaller places -- the prices are lower at the superstores, so as they say, you get what you pay for. When I have to buy stuff myself or I want help, I often go to the Juvenile Shop on Ventura or Right Start in Glendale, but mostly I do it all on-line.

Good luck! And congrats!