PDA

View Full Version : Baby Bald Spots

blnony
12-03-2002, 09:14 AM
This may seem like a crazy question, but is it common for babies to get bald spots on the backs of their heads? DD has developed a huge bald spot on the back of her head and it is always red. It looks terrible because she doesn't have much hair to start with and what she does have is blonde. I'm afraid she is going to look bald for awhile. Also, she has a patch of dry chapped skin underneath it. I don't think its cradle cap, but then again I've never seen cradle cap?
I was just curious if this was normal? If not, then I can start freaking out!lol.
Also, when does real hair start to come in?
TIA-

Rachels
12-03-2002, 09:31 AM
Very normal. Abigail has one, too. I think the back-to-sleep thing is responsible, although I figure a little bald spot is a small price to pay for her safety. As far as when hair comes in, it varies tremendously. We are seeing major growth now at 6 months, but I know that I was bald for a year. As far as cradle cap, I doubt that's what you're seeing if it's only in that one area. You might put some vitamin e oil on it 20 minutes or so before her bath, then wash it off. The chapped skin will heal. This works for cradle cap, too.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Shirale
12-03-2002, 11:40 AM
Yup, totally normal! Most babies get one, and now that babies are put on their backs to sleep (at least most of them!) and spend much of their time in a swing, car seat, etc- it rubs off in one spot. Also, many babies who are born with hair lose it and then grow in different hair! I was born with red hair and it eventually fell out and then grew in blonde (acc to my Mom!). All babies get hair at different times. Amira was born with a little bit of hair and it stayed that way until about 2 months ago when she was 10 months, and now she has some hair- not a lot, but it's growing! Some babies don't get any real hair until 2!!!

Melanie
12-03-2002, 01:34 PM
Ds got the bald strip from being on his back/in car seat/or swing and turning his head from side to side. It started to become less noticeable when he could sit up unassisted.

Mommy to Jonah

blnony
12-03-2002, 03:44 PM
Thank you all for responding. Its comforting to know that DD isn't the only one with a bald spot! I sometimes think I get too upset over small stuff, but you just never know. Thanks again.

spu
12-03-2002, 06:22 PM
I have twin girls, 4 mos old, and Else has a big bald spot right on the back of her head and Charlotte has no bald spot. I think Else takes after her grandpa! :)

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
charlotte & else