PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Gifts for 4 mth old?

newbelly2002
12-06-2002, 02:08 PM
Okay, so I'm getting around to this a little on the late side.

I went to a few toy stores today and was overwhelmed with the amount of color, noise, and general STUFF that is out there. The store was arranged by brand (instead of age, as I had hoped) which didn't help. Now maybe I just needed a coffee (or a Gluhwine since it is the season!), but the idea of knowing my child's preferences for the next year--not to mention the sole responsibility (so it felt) for his development--I left completely empty-handed. I feel like a Santa-failure.

From the pros--and anyone else willing to help a lost soul--any ideas? He likes red, things that crackle (you know, like cats toys), and faces. What kinds of toys/stuff does he need now? In 3 mths?

TIA!
Paula

Rachels
12-06-2002, 04:25 PM
Abigail's favorites between four months and now (6.5) have been soft cloth blocks that crinkle or jingle, toys that play music, finger puppets that she can move and manipulate easily, anything small that rattles, a long, crinkly alligator, mirrors, and very soft stuffed animals that are small enough for her to grab and hold. I think the key around this age is that they're learning to use their hands to hold and manipulate objects, and they're very interested in textures and sounds. So aiming to stimulate those things works. Also, now she's teething, so I look for stuff that will feel good on her gums. HTH!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

gour0
12-06-2002, 06:26 PM
You can also go to different websites and search by age. Tiny Love, Geniusbabies, and Amazon are a few off the top of my head. Good Luck!

Rachels
12-06-2002, 08:30 PM
Another is www.iqkids.com.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

nohomama
12-06-2002, 10:19 PM
Paula,

I have total faith that you'll find excellent toys in Germany. When we were there in October we could have spent a boatload of cash on toys for Lola. All I can say is the toys over there are just better.

In terms of brands, Haba is a German company that makes toys for all age ranges including infants. If after everybody's suggestions you're still feeling overwhelmed, by a few age appropriate toys that appeal to you. If Dante likes them you can get others that are similar.

Have fun shopping.

megsmom
12-07-2002, 01:36 AM
Meg was 5 months at her first Christmas and I didn't really get her a whole lot. She got tons of presents anyway being the only grandkid on both sides. At this age, they don't get a whole lot out of new toys and gifts and would rather play with the wrapping paper and bows! :) Seriously, a few teething toys, a cloth or bath book, a set of stacking cups, will be toys that he will get a lot of mileage from and are relatively inexpensive. I wouldn't feel any undo pressure to anticipate what your ds will like in a few months. You can always get him stuff then and less stuff cluttering up the house now, eh? :) Before you know it, toys are everywhere so a little simplicity while you can have it is a good thing.

Things that may be enjoyed in the next several months (from 8-9 months or when they can sit and be mobile) are busy boxes, bath toys, balls, toy telephones, toy cars, board books with high contrast pictures, stacking rings, CDs/tapes for the car. My dd also adores the Baby Einstein series. I mention all this not because I want you to drive yourself nuts in any more stores, but in case relatives are bugging you for ideas. :) Babies also like to start a lot of container play towards the end of the first year (anything where they can take things in and out) but never underestimate the entertainment value of your own kitchen spoons, measuring cups and tupperware! :) In a sense, I'm trying to say that you don't have to be the perfect Santa and your son gets the most developmentally out of your presence vs. presents.

Jen
mom to Meghan
7/13/01

newbelly2002
12-07-2002, 02:09 AM
Thanks for the reassurance.

And Rachel, when I mentioned long and crinkly, I was actually referring to the alligator! My MIL just brought it over and it is currently the favorite.

Sarah, yes, the German toys are great. It just seems that many of them are for a slightly older baby. That said, finger puppets are a great idea and I know of the perfect toy store.

And developmentally, I can't think of a better gift (now that you mention it, Jen!), than a SATM AND a SAHF. Guess I shouldn't fall into the Christmas buying trap.

Paula

LisaS
12-08-2002, 07:12 PM
If you don't already have one, I highly reccommend an Ultrasaucer (Evenflow brand), stationary entertainment center. He's probably a little too young for it now, but in about a month or 2, it should be perfect. It will not only be a gift for your DS, but for you, too. My DD has had hers since 5 months and used to spend (before she was mobile) 30-40 minutes in it at a time if I'd let her (the gift for me was free time). She loved it and would jump around and if she got bored with one toy, she'd turn and there would be several others. Some make music, some are fun to grab or others just to look at. I've never known any baby not to love their exersaucer.

Rachels
12-08-2002, 08:08 PM
Oh, yeah! Great idea. Abigail loves hers and has been in it since 3 months.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02