PDA

View Full Version : Hospital Freebies - What did you get?

JustMare
12-10-2002, 10:47 PM
I am a coupon queen and freebie hound :) I’m finding it interesting discovering what each hospital distributes to their new mothers. I’ve been looking on ebay (Similac and Enfamil diaper bag seach) and some diaper bags are loaded with freebies from Dreft, Pampers, Desitin, to loads of formula cans and coupons. Others are rather slim with just the diaper bag and a few cans of formula. I know some moms unload some of the stuff and just get rid of what they don’t want/need. But my friends never got more than the basic diaper bag and a can or two of formula.

So here it is, my very frivolous question – what freebies did you get from your hospital?? Also, does EVERYONE get a free diaper bag?

Thanks

egoldber
12-10-2002, 11:08 PM
In general, if you ask for a freebie, they are more than happy to give you whatever is available. We were about to check out and realized we didn't have our "goodie" bag yet :) . DH went and asked and the nurse brought out the Similac bag. A friend of mine (who delivered at the same hospital) tells the story of how she was in the wheelchair being wheeled out, spied a bag she didn't have and said "Hey! I want that bag too!!!" They happily brought her one.

In addition to the formula, we also asked for a "6 pack" of RTF formula to take home which they gave us. My bag also had a cooler bag in it (along with 2 ice packs) that I used for a year. I think it also had some coupons and stuff in too and probably samples of Desitin and Dreft.

So I would definitely ASK for the free bag from BOTH Enfamil and Similac even if you plan to breastfeed because there is other stuff in there you might want or need.

I have also read stories on-line of people "hording" formula from the hospital. The way it works is you ask for formula to feed yor baby, stash it in a bag. A couple hours later, ask for more, etc. At most hospitals, they really don't care.

Momof3Labs
12-10-2002, 11:11 PM
I got an Enfamil diaper bag with a few samples from my OB, and a Similac diaper bag with a few samples from the hospital. There were a few other samples in the hospital bag (one Pampers, two Huggies diapers) and a few coupons.

My pediatrician gave me another sample can of Enfamil (I had to ask, though).

In addition, I got several cans of Similac in the mail, and a few cans of Enfamil. All of the formula coupons came in the mail - you have to get on their mailing lists.

Lori & Colin 9/28/02

juliasdad
12-11-2002, 04:00 PM
Yep, everyone gets a free diaper bag. Or two. The formula companies are shameless in trying to win your favor as early as possible. The diaper bags themselves aren't much to talk about... they tend to be made out of pretty cheap vinyl. We did find some useful small items and coupons in them, though. Oh, and we got plenty of those Pampers, Desitin, etc. freebees and coupons at childbirth class as well (I think especially if you take a class at the hospital, they've got lots of stuff to give away).

We also got a full case of Enfamil Lipil for free... the deal is, if you deliver a baby on Labor Day, Enfamil gives you a free case of formula!

-dan

Annette_C
12-11-2002, 11:37 PM
Good for you, Dan!
Sabrina is on Enfamil Lipil also but I had to fight to get it!:)

Mare,
I think it depends on where you live and which hospital you'll be using.
I live in CT and I received a diaper bag at the hospital with only 4 little bottles (3 oz) of formula. Because Lipil was brand new, the supply was scarce. The hospital did supply us,though, with a big Rubbermaid container full of diapers, baby wash cloths, and even things for mom (personal hygiene products). They told us that the container can be used as a toy chest later.
Our ped's office gave us some more Lipil and we also received some formula through the mail.
As someone else mentioned here, you need to get on mailing lists....Babiesonline.com is one place to start.
Good luck!
Annette :)
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02

kathsmom
12-14-2002, 05:18 PM
Hi, Mare!

We received a diaper bag with insulated bag and ice packs from Similac. We also had lots of coupons and a few samples of Pampers, etc. The hospital gave us 2 packages of Huggies newborns diapers, 2 of the 6 packs of formula (2 oz size), nipples to go on the formula bottles, a digital thermometer, gauze and vaseline (for DS's circumcision) and one of those cheap plastic basins. In Georgia, every baby also receives a CD of classical music. Our previous governor was instrumental (pardon the pun!) in accomplishing that. Also, DS received the cutest hand-knit blue cap - courtesy of the senior voluteers at the hospital. They knit caps for all the newborns. In the diaper bag, was a can of powdered formula. I also received 2 cans of powdered formula in the mail from Similac. I had signed up at my OB's office to get on Similac's mailing list. They send me coupons too.

Good luck! I loved getting the freebies and goodies!

Toni - mom to Katherine (5/19/96) and Andrew (9/23/02)

Melanie
12-18-2002, 01:51 PM
From a Baby Care class sponsored by a local HMO I got an Enfamil Changing pad with those tubes of powdered formula & coupons. From a Ped. we interviewed I got the matching diaper bag with formula an coupons. From the hospital I got to choose either the Enfamil or Similac bag. I chose the Enfamil "Breastfeeding success kit" (isn't that a joke?!) b/c it had a music CD. It also had the RTF formula, a breastfeeding book, A playtex bottle with the worst nipple for BF babies and coupons. I also signed up to get the Video set from Healthy Families (A California program). I believe there was another bag of some other things from the hospital, too, but I can't recall. I got the sitz bath thing, the medela pump hook-ups (that was a good freebie! those are pricey and when I later rented a pump I didn't have to buy them), ahem-maternity pads, I took the open box of soft cloths, and more stuff that I can't remember (it seemed like we left with a truckload). My friend's mom is a childbirth educator so I got mass quantities of all the free stuff she gets for her classes.

Mommy to Jonah

jlazx2
12-18-2002, 06:21 PM
I got to choose also between the similac & enfamil bags- wouldn't let me have both. I took the similac breastfeeding bag- had a cooler bag with bottles for expressed milk, ice packs, full size tylenol, some diaper samples & other small samples & lots of info. I think the similac bag is cuter with the purple & teddy bear theme. Also got the pack of diapers that was opened, bulb for nose, magazines, etc. I also sent away for the free gerber engraved spoon, the certificate was in there somewhere- that is pretty nice.