PDA

View Full Version : A reprieve...

Rachels
12-19-2002, 03:06 PM
We went to the radiologist, who wanted to start with a plain x-ray of Abigail's belly. He did, and this time it was normal, so they didn't do the barium thing. He said that putting her through that made no sense since it wouldn't be able to tell us anything if the colon was currently in a normal position. He thinks it's likely that gas caused the distention that showed up on the old x-ray. So we don't have an answer, but we do know that, barring a crisis, there is no surgery this Christmas!!! I'm very relieved, of course, so this is not in the Bitching Post. I am a little anxious still, though, because we still don't know what's caused all this trouble. We'll be following up at Children's Hospital once we get home. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for your support, friends.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

mama2be
12-19-2002, 03:39 PM
AWESOME NEWS...!!!

thorsmom
12-19-2002, 04:46 PM
Alexander and I will keep our fingers crossed for you.

Sandy
mom to Alexander Thor 3/16/02

mamahill
12-19-2002, 05:53 PM
Wonderful! Enjoy Abigail's first big holiday season and try to relax (you SO deserve it!).

jojo2324
12-19-2002, 07:06 PM
I'm so glad that you won't have to endure surgery...Will be keeping you both in my thoughts.

nohomama
12-19-2002, 10:07 PM
What wonderful news! I hope that the rest of your holiday proves to be calm and restful and that you'll find the answers to Abby's belly troubles before much of the new year has passed.

Take care,

Annette_C
12-19-2002, 11:44 PM
Rachel,
I'm glad Abigail doesn't have to have surgery....especially during her first Christmas holiday. I hope all will be resolved in a positive manner when you follow up at Children's. Abigail will be in good hands there since I hear from my older daughter, Bridget, that Children's in Boston is the best in the country (as I'm sure you know).
Good luck and God bless. I'll be looking for your updates.
Annette :)
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02

megsmom
12-20-2002, 12:37 AM
YAAAAAYYYYYY!

That's such great news, Rachel. I'm so happy that this may all resolve (hopefully) with no surgery for Abagail and so much less worry for you. Enjoy the holiday with your family.

Jen
mom to Meghan 7/13/02

sntm
12-20-2002, 12:03 PM
Ooooh, excellent! Definitely see someone at Children's though, and be sure they consider doing the barium test anyway -- if she has a malrotation, the volvulus may have resolved but she may be at risk for it recurring. They would be able to tell from that test.

I posted some info in the Bitching Post too.
Email me if you have any questions.

One other thing: get a copy of the original x-ray, the one they were worried about, and bring it with you to Children's. Don't settle for the report -- they will want to see it and it may help them in their decision.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03

Rachels
12-20-2002, 06:25 PM
Shannon, thank you so much for all the info! I'll keep you updated and will definitely pick your brain a bit as we work through this.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

juliasdad
12-20-2002, 07:07 PM
Great news, Rachel!

-dan

Melanie
12-23-2002, 02:29 PM
Oh good!

Mommy to Jonah

TomsMom
01-03-2003, 06:21 PM
Rachel,

I am so sorry to post this so late but I wanted to tell you how sorry I was to hear of Abigail's troubles. I wish you both the best in the coming weeks.

Lisa (a.k.a. Nigele)
Mommy to Tommy
7/2/02