PDA

View Full Version : Get This Baby Out Of Me! UPDATE

brubeck
12-23-2002, 12:21 PM
I want to thank everyone who responded to my thread about waiting an excrutiatingly long time for delivery.

Just to update you, my son was born (quite late!) last Friday morning at 1:52 am. On Thursday the 19th I went to the doctor's for a checkup. At that point I had been walking around town 3 cm+ dilated for more than 8 days and the OB was frankly shocked I was still undelivered. I was 4.5+ cm that morning.

At about 10 pm I started having contractions, but thought they were Braxton Hicks (which I have been having regularly since Thanksgiving) since they didn't begin at the top of the uterus (all in the low cervical region). When they got more painful we called the hospital and they said to come in (they were 1 min long and 3 min apart), and by the time we got the babysitter and everything together we were at the hospital at 11:30. I was 6.5 cm. I asked immediately for my epidural and managed to get it at 7.5 cm (they refuse at 8 cm and above so this just squeaked in!) and delivered before 2 am. So the good news is that for my trouble waiting for weeks, I had a VERY quick labor (< 4 hours!) with no episiotomy and the head came out with one push. I have very little pain right now (although I am glad for those stool softeners!) and my son is a good breastfeeder and has brought my milk in already. Engorgement is likely to follow in the next day or two.

So despite my mental trauma, a couple of good things did come out of my Thanksgiving-turned-Christmas baby! Thanks everyone for all of your support!

bnme
12-23-2002, 12:36 PM
Congratulations!!! And welcome to the world new baby!!
:)
:)
Glad to hear you had a good deleivery and a good bf experience. This is an inspiration to me since I am awaiting the arrival of my Xmas baby (edd 12/24), although I hope he doesn't turn into a New Years baby!

I am hoping for some news of progres at my Dr appt this afternoon, nothing yet.

Have a wonderful holiday with the best Xmas present ever!

Melanie
12-23-2002, 02:22 PM
Congratulations! Welcome to your little boy.

Mommy to Jonah

mama2be
12-23-2002, 04:26 PM
Great news and congrats!!!!
Welcome little baby!!!!

Rachels
12-24-2002, 12:19 AM
Wonderful!!! Welcome baby! I'm glad you're feeling well. It sounds like a great birth.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

jojo2324
12-24-2002, 12:23 AM
Welcome and congrats to you both!!

twins r fun
12-25-2002, 12:50 AM
Congratulations! Glad you got to the hospital when you did. What's the little guy's name? You may have said it before, but I missed it! How's your older child doing with all the changes?

Nicole

kathsmom
12-26-2002, 10:28 AM
Congratulations on the birth of your son! Glad to hear that you are doing so well after the delivery! Please let us know what you named him if you don't mind.

Toni - mom to Katherine (5/19/96) and Andrew (9/23/02)

brubeck
12-26-2002, 10:50 PM
The baby's name is Andrew. His older sister Amy (25 months) is still not sure what to make of him. She alternates from ignoring him (as if he were a piece of furniture) to trying to point out his body parts ('baby nose', taps nose; 'baby eye', sticks finger in his eye; etc.).

I'm trying hard to spend some quality time each day with Amy, and to put her needs first at least once a day (even if it means letting the baby cry for a few minutes. I guess it doesn't hurt that she sees him crying while I am attending to her sometimes. The good news is that so far she doesn't seem freaked out by the breastfeeding, but time will tell.

Thanks so much for all the good wishes!

sntm
12-28-2002, 09:48 AM
congrats!! glad to hear everything went so well!

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03

mamahill
12-31-2002, 12:04 AM
Congratulations! Sorry I'm a little late, but wonderful all the same. Hope you are regaining your strength and getting the rest you deserve!