PDA

View Full Version : Rachel, how's Abigail?

nohomama
12-23-2002, 02:53 PM
Rachel,

I was just wondering how your family is doing. Have you been able to get any rest? How are Abby's belly troubles?

Rachels
12-23-2002, 04:51 PM
Thanks, Sarah. She's hanging in there. There haven't been any more episodes even remotely resembling what happened last week, so I'm pretty sure there's not a crisis on the immediate horizon. But it's so tough to figure out what IS going on. I took her to a naturopath a week and a half ago, and he identified about a zillion food sensitivities. I immediately went on a major elimination diet (and am wasting away to nothing, at present), and the next three nights, she slept five and six hour stretches. Unbelievable. Since she hasn't done that in months, I assume it wasn't a coincidence. Then, though, she had that pain that led to the ER visit, and that was that for the good sleeping. I think she's teething, too, so that really muddies the water. She is taking decent naps (a small miracle), but still not sleeping well at night at all. Also, she has started making a sharp, inhaling, gasping noise, like kind of a throat croak with a wheezy sound thrown in. What is THAT?! At first I thought it was just that she has figured out that she can make a cool noise, and I think she does use it that way sometimes. But some of it is clearly involuntary, and it's the noise she makes as she's waking at night. I wonder if it's a reflux thing. We tried her on Prilosec this week, but it didn't go well. She got all red where the Prilosec touched the skin on her face, and within 20 minutes she was crying and miserable. So no more Prilosec for us. I put her back on her Zantac, but it's hard to tell if it's doing much. Does this gasping sound familiar to anybody?

To add insult to injury, we got to my mom's house, and my breastpump promptly died, so I haven't been able to pump. I ordered a new pump which should arrive today. If I can pump a little, Mom can take her while I get some good naps, or good middle-of-the-night sleep.

Even given all of this, she cries less than any baby I've ever heard of. She's so cheerful and good-natured. In a way, it makes it even harder that I know something is hurting her, because she just tries SO hard to be happy.

But I'm grateful, grateful, grateful that she didn't wind up with a surgical first Christmas. We are sort of taking it one step at a time around here.

Thanks for asking. I really appreciate it.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

nohomama
12-23-2002, 08:28 PM
As I read your post all I could think was "when it rains, it pours." It all sounds hard but aside from the prospect of surgery the thing that sounds the worst to me is the elimination diet. I can't even imagine what it's like to have those kinds of dietary restrictions...at this time of year no less. A sleepless night is one thing, but not being able to fight your way through the haze the next morning with a bagel and a cup of coffee is just cruel.

Having never met you in person and being separtated right now by a number of states means all I can offer you is moral support, but if you need a little of that just write. I'm certain there are a number of folks on this board who will respond with bells on.

I'm glad the immediate crisis is over. Have a Happy Christmas and a Merry New Year. Take care.

Rachels
12-24-2002, 12:18 AM
Thanks again, Sarah. You're right, the elimination diet is awful. If it were just for me, I'd never do it. For Abigail, though, I'd eat sand if it would help her. (Actually, have you tried soy nut butter? It's much like sand, in my estimation.) Anyway, the moral support is tremendously helpful and important.

Am I remembering correctly that you're in Northampton? I'm in Boston, so it's only a few hours. I'm actually out that way from time to time. Maybe sometime when I'm there, we could have lunch. I have wonderful thoughts about getting to meet all of you at some point. You've become my friends.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

KathyO
12-24-2002, 01:36 AM
Funny, I also have little daydreams of us taking over some hotel somewhere and spending half the time whooping it up, and the other half showing each other pictures of our kids! Can you imagine the party? Of course, if we BRING the kids, we can have toddler races down the halls, and bath parties, and all SORTS of fun...!

I hope your Christmas continues on a quieter keel!

Best,

KathyO

jojo2324
12-24-2002, 11:28 AM
Rachel, I'm glad to hear that things are going more smoothly for you and your little girl. Have you taken any steps against the hospital?

I would love a gathering for all of us! Umm, not to sound like a horrible mommy right now, but I think I'd have to go the whoop it up route. No offense Gannon, just you keep pestering me in the middle of the night and you're so dang heavy....And I have not wrapped a single gift, the house is in absolute ruins, still have four presents to go...I would love a drink ;) It's been a solid year! Well, I do have some frozen EBM...maybe I'll pull a bag out now and celebrate later with some Courvoisier...The delerium has set in, I'm giggling to myself.

Merry Christmas everyone!!

nohomama
12-24-2002, 01:23 PM
You are remembering correctly. We do live in Northampton and the next time you're headed this way you should definitely let me know. I'd love to get together for coffee/tea or a knosh of somekind.

Rachels
12-24-2002, 02:16 PM
I'll let you know! Hmmm. Glad to know I'm not the only one fantasizing about some kind of reunion. Kate, I too see us taking over a hotel somewhere. (Somewhere warm, maybe? It's about 38 and raining right now. Yuck.) Maybe this is a thing to keep in the back of our minds and actually DO someday.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

mama2be
12-24-2002, 02:35 PM
Count me in...that would be fun!!!

kathsmom
12-26-2002, 10:38 AM
Rachel,

I am sorry that I haven't been able to really post anything until now. It has been crazy around my house for Christmas!

I am so glad that Abigail is doing better. You all have been in my thoughts.

How was her first Christmas? I hope she (as well as you, your DH, and family) had a great time!

Please keep us posted as to what is going on.

I would like to cast my vote for a BIG Baby Bargains Book convention for those of us who use this board. I would love to meet all of you in person. I think I would leave DH home with the kids (at least that way, I know that I could get some sleep!). I agree that some place warm would be nice - how about Bermuda, Aruba, or the Bahamas? I would be willing to do Key West as well. Since I have never been to California, would L.A. or San Francisco appeal to anyone?

Toni - mom to Katherine (5/19/96) and Andrew (9/23/02)

Rachels
12-26-2002, 01:01 PM
ALL those places appeal to me! So does just about anywhere, though. (Alan and Denise, are you reading this? Want to come?) I think that if we do plan something, though, we have to leave open the option to bring kids. Some people still have little babies, and I know that I'm nursing full-time, so I'm not comfortable leaving Abigail. Maybe DHs could come so that we can also get some uninterrupted mom time.

I might start a new thread about this idea...

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02