PDA

View Full Version : Bummed out!!!!

Rosalind
12-26-2002, 09:39 PM
Hello,

This is my first time posting to this board. I am past my due date (12/23) and I went to the doctor today so she could schedule me for an induction tomorrow. Well, she told me that the hospital was booked up and I can't be induced until next Tuesday. I am so depressed about it. My husband and I were so set on having this baby tomorrow or Saturday. We had to call our relatives and friends to tell them the induction date got pushed back.
Have this situation happened to any of you ladies? If it has, do you have any suggestions on how not to dwell on the dissapointment? I'm to the point where I can't think about anything else but having this baby. I've cleaned my house and talked to friends, now I have ran out of ideas on how to keep myself busy so I won't sulk around the house for another 5 days.
Before I was pregnant I never thought I would be upset about NOT going into labor.

Rosalind

Momof3Labs
12-26-2002, 10:42 PM
Who knows - it could happen on its own before Tuesday!! Really, you're only talking about a few days here - after waiting 40 weeks, what's another few days?? It will all work out fine and be over before you know it! My suggestion? Do your best to catch up on your sleep before then - take lots of naps!! And good luck (will you have a 2002 or a 2003 baby - hmmmm?)

Lori & Colin 9/28/02 (two weeks early, and I just wasn't quite ready!)

brubeck
12-26-2002, 10:44 PM
Hi Rosalind!

I totally sympathize. Did you see my thread (a couple of weeks old now) Get This Baby Out Of Me? I too was waiting weeks for labor to start, and was dilated 3 cm or more for almost 2 weeks before my son finally decided to make an appearance. He is now 6 days old and I am so glad he is here! The good news is that after waiting so long the labor was quick, maybe yours will be too!

Keep a positive outlook (trust me, I KNOW this is hard) and remember, your baby might just decide to come all on its own BEFORE Tuesday, especially if you're overdue now.

FYI, if you live in the San Francisco Bay Area, I had an induction scheduled for tomorrow morning (the 27th) at 7 am. Obviously I am not going to be there. Want the spot? :-)

And if you think you have troubles, check this out: my baby isn't even a week old yet and already the great-grandparents in Florida are complaining that they haven't received a photo. Ummm, we have barely had time to finish a roll, and the holiday makes getting out to the photo place difficult! Not to mention the logistics of getting to a photo place with a baby and a toddler! And the hospital first day photo isn't online yet because of the holiday. Sigh.

mama2be
12-26-2002, 10:58 PM
Rosalind...

Want the baby before Tuesday...take on a task that needs completeing before you go, un pack the bags till Monday night...be unprepared and bet the baby will come...Just joking but you know those Murphy's Laws...

I bet you'll go into labor before Tuesday...keep us all posted!!!!
Thoughts and labor vibes are being sent your way...hang in there...

bnme
12-27-2002, 09:05 AM
Rosalind,
My due date was the 24th and I too am still home waiting! I totally sympathize. It is very frustrating...whenever the phone rings you know it is someone who is going to ask "Any news yet?".

All along I have not really worried about labor, but now it is I my mind constantly. I an wishing and praying for it to come, but am also more "worried" about it. Any little tinge I feel I look at he clock, thinking maybe that was the first labor pain. Its so hard when you don't know what to expect.

I had thought for sure I was going to go early so I feel extra late already. And Christmas was strange becuase we assumed we'd either be in the hospital or just home with a brand new baby so we didn't make plans. Becuase I was still prego we had to end up running around visiting everyone, and everyone assumed we would eat Christmas dinner and their house (we live close to both families).

Try and keep busy as best you can! Staying home is thew worst! Do you have anyone home during the day to hang out with? My Mom is retired so I will be spending today with her. Maybe do some after Christmas shopping at the mall. I guess I am lucky that I have had a wonderful pregnancy and I feel good.

As for being induced, my docs won't even schedule it untill I am 2 weeks past the date, unless there seems to be a problem with the baby. I hope I don't go that long, but if I do now I am wondering if on 1/6/02 they are going to tell me the hospital is booked and I have to wait another 5 days. NO WAY!! I have an appt on the 30th and I am gona ask him about that for sure!

Hang in there! My thoughts are with you. If we are lucky, out bundles will come before the New Year and we will get our extra bonus (tax return)
:)
:)

Rachels
12-27-2002, 09:39 AM
Hang in there! I know it's miserable. You may well go into labor yourself before Tuesday, though, and labor would likely be easier for you if you didn't have to be induced. (Pitocin can make for some nasty contractions.) Also, anything up to 42 weeks is considered totally normal, so you're at no risk by waiting.

If you want to get things moving yourself, try good fast walks, Chinese food, etc. Black cohosh and castor oil work, but you should either talk to a midwife about how to use them or ask someone knowledgeable. (www.mothering.com/discussions may be a good site to get some more information about getting labor started naturally.)

Meanwhile, rest rest rest!!! Insist that DH pamper you, and lie in bed a LOT.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Karenn
12-27-2002, 12:06 PM
Same thing happened to me!! I think it's worse than the baby being late because you were SURE you were going to deliver! We knew babies could come late, but no one ever told us they could cancel inductions! It could be worse though. I had been having very painful contractions for a day and a half (back labor) when I was scheduled for my induction but was only 1 cm dialated so the hospital sent me home! Then they wouldn't "let" me come back because I didn't meet their list of criteria for being in "real" labor and they didn't have any room for inductions. They said, "Oh honey, just try a nice warm bath." Finally I called and said, "I'm coming whether you like it or not so you'd better get a room ready!" I was 7 cm when I got there...just in time for that epidural that I had been dying for the last 48 hours! I can tell you that next time I'm going to be a heck of a lot more assertive! And fortunatly, the labor and delivery nurses were a lot more empathetic than whoever I had talked to on the phone!

So, I have lots of empathy for you, but I don't have much advice on how to distract yourself. Just be glad that you don't have back-labor as a distraction!

Karen

mamahill
12-31-2002, 12:18 AM
Well, it's Monday night, so if you're still pregnant, you won't be for long! I've been offline for a while but wanted to lend my support -- good luck tomorrow!

Rosalind
01-04-2003, 08:54 PM
Hello,

Well, my inducement went as planned on 12/31. Our son Jason was born at 9:30 pm. We missed having the first New Year's baby at our hospital by a couple of hours but I didn't care- I was so tired and wanted to give birth asap.

I hope if I have another child that my labor will start on its own and I won't have to be induced. The nurses sure did crank up the pitocin! I tried to handle the pain with stadol but after the 4th pitocin crank up in dosage I had to get the epidural. At least I can say that the anestiologist was very good in the fact that I had complete pain relief but was still able to push effectively and I had no side effects.

My husband and I are enjoying being parents but it's definately a two person job with just doing the basics- feeding, diaper changes etc. Today, I didn't take my shower until 2:00 and that's with my husband at home! I'm sure it will get easier when we learn what we are doing and get more organized.
It is amazing that my husband is an engineer and I am a chemist but one little person can make us feel like we don't know a thing.

Thanks for the encouraging replies.

Rosalind

nohomama2
01-04-2003, 10:06 PM
Congratulations Rosalind! I can't think of a more excellent way to celebrate the new year than with a new babe. You and your husband will find your eqalibrium again and things like changing a diaper will become like second nature sooner than you think. The sleep deprivation can last awhile though, so my advice to you is to sleep when Jason does. I had a hard time taking that advice to heart and regret every moment of sleep I lost because of it.

Take care,

twinsarefun
01-04-2003, 10:13 PM
Congratulations Rosalind! I'm sure 2003 will prove to be an exciting year as you watch Jason grow. Good luck with everything.

Nicole

Melanie2
01-05-2003, 07:25 PM
Congratulations! Don't worry, it WILL get easier. Someone said that to me when Ds was a few days old. She said, "it gets easier around 6 weeks," all I could think was "SIX WEEKS!" Dh told me he was just glad that it would get easier. For us, it was 7 weeks. Enjoy your babymoon.

(aka Melanie)

jojo2324
01-05-2003, 10:37 PM
Congratulations! Welcome to little Jason! Get some sleep.

aka_mama2be
01-06-2003, 02:30 AM
Congrats!!!!

I agree what an excellent way to kick off the New Year!!!!!
Please post pics and keep us posted!!!

MamaHill_2003
01-06-2003, 01:10 PM
Congratulations! Take care of yourself - and that whole "sleep when the baby is sleeping" mantra is not stressed enough. And showering? I'd be upset if you were able to shower before 10 anytime in the next few weeks. You need to heal and regain that strength and the more time you devote to resting, the easier it will be and the better you'll feel about yourself. The basics will become second-nature in a manner of weeks. I also remember someone telling me their baby slept through the night at 8 weeks and I thought, "8 weeks of this?! I'm going to die." But I didn't. Hang in there!

I saw a new mother in the Nordstrom mother's lounge before Christmas trying to wrestle with her boob and her 10-day-old son and I just thought, "I remember that! Whew, I'm so glad it gets easier."

Take care, and post pics when you can (after you've slept as much as you can, of course!).

bnme
01-16-2003, 09:42 AM
Just got around to reading this. Congrats on your baby new year --welcome little Jason!! My DH born 1/3/03, finally, is Jason too!

It is amazing how things get easier everyday (then I am sure they get harder again, then again, etc!).