PDA

View Full Version : Toy Storage

loewymartin
12-28-2002, 06:49 PM
Happy Holidays everyone!

{Rachel - I'm glad Abigail is feeling better. I just got back online and read through what happened...if there's any way we can help, please let me know (we're in Albany, NY and there's a good children's hospital here).}

I wanted to ask what everyone uses/recommends for toy storage. We're creating a play room now that all the Christmas toys are here :-) ...and it looks like the toy bins that sit in a shelf-type storage thing are what most places sell. Alia is only 7.5 months right now, but I would like to buy something that will cover todays's toys and into the toddler years. I know the toys get bigger, but something that could cover a few years would be nice. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Michelle - Mom to Alia Jailin born 5/16/02

Rachels
12-28-2002, 08:58 PM
Michelle, thank you!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

JMarie
12-28-2002, 09:59 PM
My FIL made a replica of the PBK Catalina toy box for Aidan's room. It is 24"Dx36"Lx24"H and just gorgeous. DH is a huge kid, so we already have tons of toys filling it, and there is still plenty of room left for things like the Boppy pillow and stuffed animals. It looks like it will work wonderfully as Aidan grows up and is more like the toy boxes I remember from my childhood. The one downside is there are no 'compartments' to sort different types of toys, but I'm not that organized, so I don't presume my son will be either. HTH!

JMarie
EDD 2/23/03
Aidan Christopher

Edited to add: Be sure to check the hinges if you decide on a 'traditional' toy box. The one thing that took forever was finding the hinges that will not, no matter how low the top is, shut completely unless you push down the top of the box. My FIL also installed a standard hinge that goes across the entire back of the box, so there will be no place for Aidan to pinch his little fingers. DH and his dad originally wanted to make the crib, (DH's father has an AMAZING wood-working room and has built many other gorgeous items) but decided that if something should ever happen to one of our children in that crib, they'd never forgive themselves.

Melanie
12-29-2002, 03:04 AM
We use Sauder Q-bits for toy storage because they have open cubes where Ds can select his own toys and closed ones where I can hide things away. However, the edges are sharp so you'll have to cover them with something.

Mommy to Jonah