PDA

View Full Version : Photography advice

SASM
12-30-2002, 03:47 PM
I have a Canon SLR camera with a 28-80 lens. I would like to get another zoom lens for more flexibilty with the photography when the baby arrives. Unfortunately, I lost all of my research, from when I bought the camera, during my last move :-( I know that it would be best to just go to an electronics store but, as always, I am afraid that I will be suckered into buying whatever they recommend and NOT what is best for me. My question: What lens do you find works best for photographing babies/children? I have been thinking of either a 28-105 or a 75 or 100-300. I am not sure if one would produce crisper photos over the other. Any advice on photographing babies and children would be great, too. :-)

Thank you (I hope.) in advance.

Sharyn

egoldber
12-30-2002, 04:05 PM
Well we're a Nikon "family" so I don't know if Canon has a comparable lens, but my absolute favorite lens for photographing people is my 105mm/2.8 macro lens. It takes absolutely beautiful pictures. You do need to be a bit far away to get a "full" shot, but I find this just makes my photography a bit more creative. Since it's a macro lens, you can take pictures from almost any distance and they are still in focus. Plus the clarity of the image is just astounding.

If Canon has a macro lens in the 60-120 range, I would say that would be a good lens to use. Personally, I find that I take almost all my photos with either a 50mm/1.8 lens or the 105/2.8. I think you get a much better image using a fixed focal length lens than a zoom lens.

Edited to add: You can go to a local store and see what they have and then buy on line. There are many reputable on-line camera places that will give you a better deal than your local store. Sometimes local camera shops have a used section where you can get good deals.

HTH,

mamahill
12-31-2002, 12:15 AM
DH (who is the photography expert in our house) said that Beth's lens is the best for photographing people (it's a 100/2.8 in the Canon), but if you're looking for flexibility (able to zoom), to go with a 70-200 lens with as wide an aperature as you can (F2.8 is the best one, though probably about $1000). Otherwise, you can get a slower lens for less money. When it comes to portraits, though, the faster the better. If you have no need for a super zoom, just a portrait lens, get the 100/2.8USM Macro (this one is $469 at b&h).

He buys a lot of photography equipment online at www.bhphoto.com. They have industry standard pricing, but these guys are reliable (and I think tax free if you live outside NY). There are other places that are cheaper though.

HTH - good luck.

BethG
01-02-2003, 08:52 PM
I would also heartily recommend buying from B&H. We have bought a (rather embarrassingly) large amount of camera stuff from them over the years and have never been disappointed. We have tried a couple of cheaper on-line places a couple times and have always regretted trying to save the few extra dollars.

One thing to think about, is that something like a 70-200/2.8 zoom is going to be a fairly heavy lens. A fixed focal length lens will be significantly lighter weight.

HTH,

SASM
01-03-2003, 12:15 AM
Thank you SO MUCH for the advice, girls (and DHs) :-) This is exactly what I am looking for.

Beth, you are totally throwing me off with your new "name" :-)

Happy 2003!

Sharyn
EDD #1 01.21.03
(YIKES...2.5 weeks away!!)