PDA

View Full Version : Any good reason to get a Costco membership?

_gour0
01-03-2003, 12:30 PM
I know Alan and Denise mention this in the book, but is there any real benefit? My secong cousin gave us the money for the mebership, but now I'm wondering if the money wouldn't be better spent elsewhere. Any thoughts?

etwahl1
01-03-2003, 01:35 PM
I could not live WITHOUT a costco membership. There are so many great things there, and usually for a better price. I don't know about baby stuff. I wouldn't buy it just to get diapers or anything, but what you might want to do is go with a friend or just take a quick tour of it if you've never been so you know what it's really about. They have everything. We've bought many gifts there, great for when you've having a party (appetizer foods, snacks, etc.) and just love it.

Tammy,
EDD March '03

dd_ani
01-03-2003, 03:10 PM
Having not been to a real Costco, I don't know how good their in-person deals are, but they do have pretty good internet deals. That said, you can order from the internet site with a 5% mark up or something like that if you are not a member.

Michelle

etwahl1
01-03-2003, 03:17 PM
The real store has MUCH more in person. The web site has just a taste of what they offer in store. Definitely worth a trip through before making the decision. I'm pretty sure any costco would allow you to do so if you are contemplating a membership.

Tammy,
EDD March '03

MamaHill_2003
01-03-2003, 04:35 PM
I second the tour idea. See for yourself what savings you can get, but make sure you take a pad of paper to write down the price/quantities so you can compare it to your local supermarket. As far as diapers go, I believe the bulk boxes are the same price as at BRU (and you can get coupons at BRU!), but Costco also carries clothes. I bought Carters fleece sleepers for $6/each. Of course, the selection is sometimes limited, but I don't know what I would do if I didn't have my memebership. The spinach alone is a steal, and they usually have really good quality meats and produce. But definitely check your Costco out. HTH

CherylT
01-03-2003, 06:20 PM
I have a Sam's Club membership which I do like a lot and I'm assuming that Cosco is quite similar. They do have many great deals (even on toys). I don't pay for my membership though, I split it with my mom. She had a membership but had never gotten a 'spouse' card. I wasn't sure if I'd really use a membership, so I was leery to pay the money myself. I asked her if she could see if I could be her 'spouse' and they said no problem, everyone is entitled to 2 cards with a membership and it didn't really matter who the 2nd card was for. I've offered to split the membership fee with her since, but she has been able to get it really cheap through work so hasn't taken me up on it yet. Don't know if this works at Cosco, but may be worth a try if you already know someone with a membership and only one card. Best of luck to you...

Cheryl (aka CT)
SAHM to Lilli 9/20/00 & Alec 10/21/02