PDA

View Full Version : Lisa, How is Tommy doing these days?

twinsarefun
01-03-2003, 11:22 PM
Just wondering how he's doing since you got the reflux and sleep apnea diagnosed.

Nicole

TomsMom
01-04-2003, 01:34 PM
Hi Nicole,

Thanks so much for asking. Thomas is now on Zantac and it I *think* it is helping. He has had two colds since starting it a month ago so it is hard to tell. He was also on Reglan for 5 days but started groaning the day after he started taking it and continued doing it 24/7 until the doctor told me to discontinue it. Weird! As for the night waking, that has not changed - probably because it has become a habit now. He has a horrible cold at the moment which he caught from me. For the past three days, he has had a really bad cough and he spits up his stomach contents whenever he coughs, whenever I try to give him medicine and sometimes a little while after he eats. The nights are miserable since I still don't feel good and have to constantly change him, change the sheets and change myself when he spits up! I took him to the ped and she said he is more prone to spitting up during this cold due to his reflux. Have your babies experienced this? It's been rough and I can't wait until it's over!

We have a follow-up appointment for the reflux/sleep apnea with the pulmonologist at Duke Chilren's on Jan. 21. (She was the one who diagnosed him.)

Take care.

Lisa (a.k.a. Nigele)
Mommy to Tommy
7/2/02

julienbaby
01-04-2003, 08:27 PM
My son was diagnosed with sleep apnea when he was 2 years old. It was funny in a way, he was so little and snoring like a trucker! But the most concerning part was his apnea itself, when he would just stop breathing for a few seconds while he was sleeping. He also still couldn't sleep through the night, even though he was two. His doctor referred him to an ENT doc that wound up taking out his tonsils and adnoids. Jacob has been so much better since then. He's 11 now, and you can't tell there was ever a problem...and hopefully it will not return! I can't imagine finding out your 6 month old has sleep apnea, how are YOU doing? Getting any sleep??

TomsMom
01-04-2003, 09:11 PM
Hi Julie,

I'm glad your son is okay these days. Thomas's sleep apnea is related to his reflux. He had an overnight test for reflux in the hospital last month and they didn't explain the sleep apnea/reflux connection in detail but we go back in a couple of weeks to find out more. We did go to an ENT a couple of months ago. The ENT was very surprised - based on DS's symptoms, he was sure he would find a problem with either his tonsils or adenoids. And to answer your question, no, I don't get much sleep! He wakes up at least 4 times a night and the only way he'll go back to sleep is if I nurse him. (We're working on breaking this habit but it is taking a long time!)

Take care,

twinsarefun
01-04-2003, 10:27 PM
Wow-bad timing on the colds! Hopefully once he's healthy, you'll see a difference. I was surprised how miserable babies get with a "simple cold." One of my boys is pretty prone to vomiting. He is the one whose reflux was worse and he does frequently throw up with colds. I always attributed it to mucous upsetting his stomach or mucous at the back of his throat gagging him, though. He was very "gaggy" when we started solids so I assume he's got a sensitive gag reflex. My other guy seems to have a stomach of steel-hardly ever spit up when he was younger, never throws up with a cold, and has missed both stomach viruses that ravaged the rest of our house and extended family a few months ago. Lucky him (and me, too)! I feel for you having to deal with sick baby, cleaning up throw up, having no sleep, and not feeling well yourself! Yikes-any of those factors alone is bad enough.

Nicole

Rachel 3
01-05-2003, 10:42 AM
Abigail did the same thing on Reglan! She also didn't do well at ALL with Prilosec. But Zantac does seem to take the edge off.

Rachel (used to be Rachels)
Mom to Abigail Rose
5-18-02

TomsMom
01-05-2003, 03:15 PM
Rachel,

That's interesting that Abigail had the same experience with Reglan. When I called my ped to ask about his fussiness and suspected the Reglan, she said it usually doesn't cause fussiness and not to worry. I then called Duke, where it was originally prescribed and they said to try to discontinue it and see what happens. I knew it wasn't just fussiness and suspected the Reglan was giving him a tummy ache, which in turn was causing the fussiness.