PDA

View Full Version : always when you are out of town...

sntm
01-05-2003, 10:50 AM
Am 2 hours away working at the VA hospital for the next 3 months, so of course once I get here develop bad cramps that wake me in the middle of the night and some mildly bloody discharge. My OB back home wants me to drive in (and I'm on call that day). Talked with someone here who said it was probably just from too much heavy lifting as I loaded and unloaded my car. That makes sense to me, but all weekend I've still got this nagging little worry. Still had some bloody discharge yesterday. Am trying to take it easy. I know even if something was wrong, I couldn't do much about it anyway. Will feel much better when that is resolved, or when I can start feeling him move -- feel like I never will!

thanks for listening!

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03

dogmom
01-05-2003, 11:14 AM
Oh, I symphathize with you. I went through a similar thing around 20 weeks. I had been feeling some movement, then nothing for days. I thought it was normal. Happen to mention it to someone, and next thing you know I'm trying to find someone to teach my class so I can run over to the hospital and get an ultrasound. I compromised with a doppler to get the heartbeat, which was just fine. I had a similar feeling. Either something not good had happened, or it hadn't happened, and whether I went to the OB that day or the next it wasn't going to change anything. I would have much preferred to keep my routine and deal with it the following day. It would have been much less stess for me and the baby.

Is there anyway to find someone closer to you to check you out? Maybe just get a fetal heart rate? That way you wouldn't have to make that long drive, during which you would have nothing to do but think about this.

J.M.
EDC- 1/13

Rachel 3
01-05-2003, 11:50 AM
I agree. Can someone do an u/s for you? You'll feel better seeing what's going on in there. Also, you want to rule out any chance of a partial abruption, because that would necessitate bedrest for a while to keep you and your baby safe. Keep us posted! You'll be in my thoughts.

Rachel (used to be Rachels)
Mom to Abigail Rose
5-18-02

newbelly2002
01-05-2003, 04:26 PM
Shannon,

Oh I do understand. I commuted C'ville to Fairfax for the duration of the pregnancy and lived up there M-W. Twice I called the OB in a panic. Cramps, discharge, and a really bad feeling. Never when I was in Cville, always Fairfax. I think it comes with the territory. But whether it is something or not, your peace of mind (and state of mind) is crucial. See if you can get an U/S or Doppler.

Thinking of you,
Paula

aka_mama2be
01-05-2003, 07:39 PM
Shannon...

Grab some bagels, do-nuts or something...you know those in the medical profession can be bribed with food (and suprisingly things as little as pens and post it notes :))...

March them down to the US dept, introduce yourself and get to know that crew...they'll give you an US on the spot I bet. I think you mentioned that you are at a VA hospital, if I misread that and IF you are at Fairfax let me know...I used to work in the ER and might beable to hook you up on that end. I also know the crew at Mount Vernon pretty well...

Keep us posted!!!

jojo2324
01-05-2003, 10:58 PM
Shannon, just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking of you and Chip. I agree, just for peace of mind, do what you can to get either an US or listen to the heartbeat. I *always* had bad feelings during my PG and hearing the heartbeat was something I clung to for assurance. But then I am the biggest worrywart in the world...As for movement, it'll come! I think I was about 5 months when I really started noticing it. (Wait...was that my intestine growling?) Keep us posted, please!

sntm
01-06-2003, 10:29 AM
Feel SO much better.

Was in a panic this morning after I finally grabbed a doppler and searched frantically for 15 minutes and could not find his heartbeat (although mine was so fast I don't know if I could have told the difference). Decided I would go to a local ER after my cases were done but couldn't concentrate on anything this morning so went down to radiology to try and borrow the ultrasound machine. The tech had to get permission from the chief radiologist who told me to go lie down and he would scan me. Yes heartbeat, yes movement, yes normal placenta nowhere near the cervix, yes mucus plug. Yay for understanding radiologists!

Whew. Now to try and take it a little easy. Thanks sooo much for all the positive thoughts!

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03

Rachel 3
01-06-2003, 12:22 PM
Whew! That's great, Shannon! Try to get some rest!

Rachel (used to be Rachels)
Mom to Abigail Rose
5-18-02

jojo2324
01-06-2003, 12:25 PM
Thank goodness! I'm so relieved!

MamaHill_2003
01-06-2003, 12:48 PM
Yay! How stressful - glad things are ok. I felt Ainsleigh for the first time at about 16 weeks and from about 18 on she didn't slow down. Even post-partum and my stomach would begin to growl I would think, "There she goes... wait a minute, she's out!" haha.

KathyO
01-06-2003, 05:10 PM
Great news! I didn't post anything when I read this, but DID come racing down to the Lounge to see if there was an update. Glad to hear that everything is on track.

Cheers,

KathyO

aka_mama2be
01-06-2003, 07:18 PM
Awesome news...Awesome radiologist!!!

megsmom
01-07-2003, 04:58 PM
Phew! I'm glad it's all okay. Take it easy on the heavy lifting, okay? No point it overdoing it (coming from a PT who constantly overdid it during pregnancy. But wait, didn't I end up with early contractions?! :)) Let those macho male surgeon-types show off (they love it to it anyway).

Jen
mom to Meghan 7/13/01

kathsmom
01-07-2003, 05:07 PM
Shannon,

So glad that everything is OK with you and the baby. Please do take it easy and try not to lift heavy loads!! When I was pregnant with DD, I practiced speech therapy at area nursing homes and did home health. Some of those patients could weigh a lot, not to mention the wheelchairs they were in! I started having back spasms during the last trimester. The OB thought it might be my gall bladder or a kidney infection. It was neither, but they recommended physical therapy for me and I ended up leaving my job a couple of weeks earlier, because I scared the patients every time I had a spasm (not to mention the pain I was in) - it was especially stressful to the patients who could not talk! I did have to reassure them that I was not in labor, but was just having back spasms.

Anyway, please do take care of yourself and your baby!

Toni - mom to Katherine (5/19/96) and Andrew (9/23/02)