PDA

View Full Version : When will DS sleep through the night?

Magda
01-05-2003, 11:12 PM
I nearly cried today when I read that 3/4 of infant sleep throgh the night by 3 months. Connor is 6 months old and I need sleep. I've read several sleep books, but I don't have a problem putting his to sleep (usually). He just doesn't stay asleep. Instead want to eat at least once, usually 2-3 time in the night.

The occasional bottle from DH isn't really on option because he sleeps through DS's wakings. So I have to wake up DH and then I end up staying awake until the feelding is done anyway.

Any suggestions?

Elaine

BethG
01-05-2003, 11:23 PM
You poor thing! Just remember though that "sleeping through the night" is considered to be 6 hours at a stretch. So 8 pm - 2 am or midnight to 6 am are both considered "through the night". Also, much of that data is collected on formula fed babies, who do tend to sleep a bit longer on average than breastfed ones. Many breastfed babies continue to wake up once or twice a night for a long time.

As your son starts getting a more significant portion of calories from solids, then sleep should be better. I would just be sure to continue to work on all the things you have been doing in terms of having healthy habits.

Also, does your son have a lovie/comfort item? If not, then you may want to try and cultivate one. Sometimes babies wake and can't comfort themselves back to sleep. A transitional sleep item (or lovie :) ) can make it easier for them to go back to sleep.

In the mean time, maybe you guys could hire a "night sitter" or have a family member stay over and do ALL night feedings for a weekend so that you can catch up on your sleep.

And my DH also sleeps through any night waking that Sarah does. Someitmes I want to just smack him as he's laying there sleeping and I get up to tend to her AGAIN. But I also find that once she cries, I'm awake, so I might as well let him sleep. But when I am exhausted, I DO smack him (lovingly, of course) and make him do it for awhile.

HTH,

sparkeze1
01-06-2003, 12:28 AM
Are you nursing? If so, your sleep may be greatly improved if you bring you baby either in bed with you or very, very close. Sidecarring a crib is another option. My DS is 9mo and wakes even more frequently at night then he did when he was 3 mo! Although he wakes on average about 6-8 times in a 12 hour period I feel well rested in the morning because I nurse him sidelying in bed. When he wakes up I just pull up my shirt and after he latches on I fall right back to sleep. Apparently I do this without even knowing too! My DH sometimes says that DS woke up very frequently the night before, and everytime I nursed him back to sleep but I don't even remember a few of them!

Magda
01-06-2003, 04:30 PM
You know, when I'm really frustrated I find myself stomping back into the room or bouncing hard on the bed to disturb DH's sleep.

I wish a family member could stay but the closest live 700 miles away. We'll try a lovie, though. Thanks Beth!

Elaine