PDA

View Full Version : Pathetically hoping the prenatal is the cause...

akc
01-07-2003, 05:43 PM
Hi all -

OK, so I know I'm fishing, but I thought I'd ask. I stayed on prenatal vitamins after my DD was born b/c they seemed so healthy for me. My OB was happy to write the prescription and said lots of women do it (including, my grandmother informed me, Kelly Ripa who says that is her beauty secret - of course, she's pg all the time, but whatever!) My hair is still great and my nails etc. strong.

But, I have not been able to lose the 13 (yes, to be exact) extra pounds I have after the baby. The scale will NOT move and it's 6 months later. I weight almost exactly the same as I did 5 days after she was born!!! I've been in Weight Watchers, eating well, and moderately exercising. In 2001 (before I got PG), I lost 40 pounds this way and now I can't shake a pound.

I'm wondering if the prenatal vitamins could be convincing my body that I'm either still in the pg phase or trying to get pg again and won't let me lose weight?

What do you think? I know it's a stretch, but do you think that could be possible?

Alexa

Melanie
01-08-2003, 02:41 AM
If you're nursing, your body is keeping on the extra weight for reserves. =)

Mommy to Jonah

akc
01-08-2003, 12:28 PM
Sadly, not the case. I couldn't nurse due to a (non-weightgaining but birth-defect causing) medication. So, I've got no excuse for those reserves! :)

Shirale
01-08-2003, 01:50 PM
Did you have a difficult pregnancy?? Ie a lot of nausea, throwing up, etc for a couple of months?? I am also having a very hard time losing weight (a year later) I have been skinny my whole life and now cannot shake the 20 lbs....scary. Anyhow, I know that one of the main reasons this is the case is that I was seriously sick most of the pregnancy and my metabolism is gone (similar to an anorecic after they get better) and therefore my body is still refusing to lose weight no matter how little I eat, much I excersize...nursing also helped me keep it on and now I am just starting to lose the weight...it is SO frusterating!!

loewymartin
01-08-2003, 01:55 PM
I'm still on the vitamins as well. I know my metabolism has changed since I got pregnant. For example, I used to always be cold - I would go to bed with sweats, socks and a turtleneck. Now, I'm always warm...same conditions in the room though. I have about 5 pounds I'm trying to deal with (but, I was only able to gain 12 for the entire pregnancy). I really think my body is still trying to figure out what happened to it :-) My advice is to keep doing what you are doing. Eating good and exercising are good for you anyway!

Michelle - Mom to Alia Jailin born 5/16/02

mamahill
01-08-2003, 02:57 PM
I continued to take prenatals and at about 4 months post-partum began losing hair in mass quantities. I lost about half of what I had and have only now (9 months) stopped shedding. I know this doesn't have to do with weight, but I guess you never know what those prenatals are or aren't responsible for.

On the weight front, I wouldn't be too worried. Just make sure you're eating right, drinking LOTS of fluids, and getting some moderate exercise. Have you tried yoga? That has been a godsend for me. It doesn't really feel like you're exercising, and yet the weight has *magically* disappeared. Go easy on yourself!

akc
01-08-2003, 03:39 PM
Hi all -

I can't use the sick first-trimester excuse either - I was never - not one day, one minute - nauseaus or sick. I do think my metabolism slowed down. The one thing I did have - though not from preeclampsia, just my own strange pregnancy symptom - was massive water gain. I had ankles the size of my thighs though my blood pressure was just fine. My OB just said that it was my lucky oddity. That's probably another reason that I should be drinking more water. I drink iced tea a lot which isn't really helpful b/c it has caffiene which dehydrates you, right?

And, I need to move more. I just have a hard time finding the time. I'm a full-time PhD student and out of the house 4 days a week, full-time. Then, Friday is my "Maeve and Mommy" day and we haven't been able to walk much b/c it's been cold/snowing. I used to go the mall but then I buy too much at Baby Gap, Gymboree, The Children's Place, etc.!!! I have a treadmill but I'm just so exhausted that I sneak in every minute of sleeping I can or collapse on the couch at the end of my day.

I do love yoga - and, even more pathetic than my prenatal vitamin excuse - my sister is a YOGA INSTRUCTOR!!! I have an expert at my disposal and I still don't do it. I keep meaning to try to walk 2 days a week and do yoga the other 2 days, but...

Thanks for all the advice - It makes me feel better just to vent/strategize. I suppose I could stay on the prenatals - I'm borderline anemic and really needed all the vitamins that the prenatal provides. And, I don't find that it makes me bloated or (ahem...) constipated as some others do. I just need to get going, I think. Anyone live in Baltimore who wants to buddy with me?! :)

Thx -
Alexa

Momof3Labs
01-08-2003, 11:31 PM
My understanding is that the hair loss is hormonally related, not due to prenatal vitamins. I stopped losing hair in about my sixth month of pregnancy, and started losing tons a few weeks ago. I was told that it was just my body catching up (and then some) and will balance back out eventually!

Lori & Colin 9/28/02

Karenn
01-09-2003, 12:55 AM
Colin is a little over six months (6/18/02)and I've just started to be able to SQUEEZE into some of my pre-pregnancy clothes. I was 3 sizes above where I started until just a couple of weeks ago! I'm wondering if it's a 6 month thing? Another of my friends lost all her weight significantly later too. My mom always says, "It took nine months to put it on, it'll take nine months to take it off!" I keep hoping she's right. (BTW, I'm not on prenatals.)

Karen

JMarie
01-09-2003, 01:13 AM
Well, I'm not in Baltimore, but my best friend in the entire world is in Ellicott City and is also a full-time PhD student (night classes). Of course, her 'baby' is a Jack Russell terrier, but as soon as she finishes her studies, she and her husband are going to start trying for a human baby. She used to run every day (AFROTC in college) and took aerobics classes at least twice a week, but has been feeling a little un-motivated lately. Maybe I could get you two together as workout buddies!

JMarie
EDD 2/23/03
Aidan Christopher

MartiesMom2B
01-09-2003, 11:26 AM
Can anyone guesstimate how big you still are about 2 months after the baby is born? I'm due April 14, 2003 and I'm a bridesmaid in a wedding July 5, 2003. The dress is a haltertop style up front and luckily its floor length to cover my tree trunk like legs. I've heard that you look around 5 months pregnant afterwards. I'm sure this is different for everyone but I'm going to guess that I'm going to be run of the mill in losing weight.

I'm also planning to breastfeed so I have a big fear that the baby is going to cry during the ceremony and I'm going to have a huge let down in front of the church for everyone to see. Maybe I can get a seamstress to sew in pockets to the front of the dress for breast pads.

Sonia
EDD 4/14/03

Momof3Labs
01-09-2003, 01:18 PM
Oh, Karen, you give me hope!! I cannot shake the last 10 pounds and it has been 3 months - although I am exclusively bf'ing.

BTW - what is your Colin's middle name? :-)

Lori & Colin Daniel 9/28/02

Momof3Labs
01-09-2003, 01:21 PM
Sonia,

I am still packing an extra 10 pounds and Colin is now 3 months old. Size-wise, I'm about two sizes bigger, mostly through the hips and butt but also in the boobs (a lot of my button down shirts do not fit). I am exclusively bf'ing, which sometimes helps you lose the weight quickly and sometimes causes you to keep it on for a while.

Everyone is different, though!

Lori & Colin 9/28/02

mamahill
01-09-2003, 05:00 PM
While I was back at pre-pregnancy weight 2 months post-partum, I was three sizes bigger. I would DEFINITELY look into breast pad pockets or SOMETHING because a let-down is definitely possible. Also, some women have had some problems with growing 2 and 3 cup sizes after having the baby.

At 8 months pp I was finally happy with my size (I'm even 10 lbs UNDER pre-preg weight). But I am so squishy it's embarassing! And I'm bigger/smaller in different areas than before. I guess it's true that after you have a baby, you have a different body. oh well!

edited to add: I bf Ainsleigh exclusively for 5 months, and then gave her 1 meal a day until 8 months and now 2 meals. agree that you have to keep some weight on to keep up those milk stores. I think I've only lost the rest, and more, of the weight now that we're not bfing as much.

hellollama
01-09-2003, 05:41 PM
Alexa,

Have you had your thyroid checked? After the birth of my first son it turn out that I had hypothyroidism, which is very common postpartum and can cause weight gain or make it very hard to lose weight. Just an idea.

Karenn
01-09-2003, 07:34 PM
It's Colin Anders.
I'm glad I gave you some hope. I just hope the rest comes off! I don't get on the scale so I don't know for sure, but it's seeming like my most recent jeans that are just one size up MIGHT be seeming a little baggy! I'm hopeful. :)

akc
01-09-2003, 08:28 PM
Hi there -

Hmmm...that is interesting. Hypothyroidism runs in my family - my mother and aunt had their thyroid removed, my grandmother had to take hormones to regulate it. I will call my dr (do I call OB or regular doctor?) and see if I can get it checked. Better safe than sorry. Thanks for bringing it up -

I do find that my hips are moving back in a bit so despite the same exact weight now as a month a half ago (now I'm at the dreaded 6 mo marker with extra weight) things fit a little better (and much better than they did at 2 months) in the hip region! And, of course, since I couldn't nurse, after the initial engorgement passed (yes, we formula feeders get horrible engorgement and just have to stick it out!) then they are quite sadly the same size (or smaller) than they were before! That said, I still know I have all this extra weight and I'm sick of the same 2 pairs of pants I've been wearing all winter. I refuse to buy new clothes. I'm hanging my favorite spring outfit up on a sconce in my bedroom to remind me to stay motivated to exercise and eat well!

Ugh. Well, thanks for letting me vent! :)

Alexa

megsmom
01-09-2003, 10:52 PM
I had only lost 9 pounds after gaining 38 in my pregnancy and was actually GAINING weight at 2 months postpartum. I did go to my doc and sure 'nough my thyroid levels were quite low. I was so relieved to find a cause for this weight gain and it also explained to me why I struggled to make enough breastmilk. I also think 2 months of bedrest turned most of my muscles of jelly and sunk my metabolism even further. Anyway, my thryroid ended up rebounding on its own after a few months and I lost most of the weight in a couple of months (down to the last 4-5 pounds).

I also forced myself to get real about how many little snacks I was eating and portion sizes at meals. I ended up joining ediets online to make myself accountable and give me an easy program to follow that didn't make me count points or go to meetings I didn't have time to. I also made the time to exercise and in my case it was during dd's morning nap or I woke up before her on the days I worked. We also used the jog stroller when she was old enough. My energy level improved significantly but it was hard each day to make it a priority.

Jen
mom to Meghan
born 7/13/01

Annette_C
01-10-2003, 12:03 AM
Hi Alexa,
I'm glad to see you back on the board. I was actually thinking about you the other day (about your thread "The Happiest Mom on the Block" )and wondering if Maeve was still sleeping so well for you (note the hint of jealousy...:)).
About the weight issue, I, too, am having trouble getting rid of 5-10 lbs left over from the pregnancy. I formula feed also so, there's no excuse for keeping the extra weight (and I'm not taking the pn-vitamins either).
The thing that upsets me the most is that I've been a health and fitness freak for the past 20 years. In fact, I stayed at the same weight (if not less) by working out at least one hour a day, 5 times a week and cooking low fat meals. I continued working out during my pregnancy, up to the last day, and gained 25 lbs in 42 weeks.
Sabrina was 9 lbs, 4 oz so, I lost 20 lbs right after she was born. I only had 5 more to go but my clothes didn't fit! I had to go up one to two sizes! Incredible!
Now, after 6 months, I have more like 10 lbs to lose instead of 5! I still try to work out every day (I'm into tae-bo, step aerobics, toning, anything advanced) but it's hard with the baby. I've also been feeling sorry for myself lately and,therefore, have been "compensating" by treating myself with sweets, etc. Of course, the holidays didn't help either.
I'm hoping one of these days my brain will click back into normal and, hopefully, I'll get my shape back. Meanwhile, I want you to know I understand your frustration.
Annette
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02

akc
01-10-2003, 02:22 PM
Hi Annette -

I pop on an off when I get the chance! Maeve is great - we actually just back from the pediatrician where we asked him if she could sleep too much! She's still a three-nap-a-day girl and then the 12 hours at night. At 6 mos, we were worried she was a slug! But, he told us to count our lucky stars - as long as she was growing (and she is 90th percentile on height and weight), she could sleep all she wants. We should be so lucky!

It's good just to vent with people about the weight thing. I think back so ruefully now on the day I stepped on the scale (about five days after Maeve was born) and I had lost 22 pounds! I thought - well, this is only five days out, so SURELY I'll lose more naturally and be right back where I should be in a month or so.

NO, NO, NO, NO! Who was that silly girl? I know next time to gain what I need to but not go overboard. It's easy for people to help get you ice cream and then pamper you when you've got a newborn with lots of foods (read: the lasagna or casseroles people give you!), but THEY don't have to lose the weight!

OK, I must stop being negative and turn towards all the positive ways to motivate myself to lose the weight. Hmmm...I'm stifling a "yeah, right."

We can do it, gals! I'll start tomorrow (hee, hee!) :)

Alexa

egoldber
01-10-2003, 04:54 PM
What I find really depressing is that depsite the fact that I am now 10 pounds BELOW my pre-pregancy weight, I am STILL two sizes bigger and just LOOK bigger to myself. Ick.

I know I need to exercise more and espcially do abdominal work (that daggone C-section, grumble, grumble)...