PDA

View Full Version : Sick! What to do?

Rachels
01-07-2003, 07:24 PM
Ugh. Mastitis is improving somewhat, but now the Sinus Infection From Hell has taken over my life. I can't breathe, can't lie down, can't eat. My head is splitting, my ears pop every time I swallow. I'm nursing so have to steer clear of pseudoephedrine. I have a humidifier running. Does anybody have any more ideas? Whhhhiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnne. :(

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

etwahl
01-07-2003, 07:30 PM
You poor thing.

Can you take any sort of nasal sprays? I used to have chronic sinus infections and it was brutal, but nasal sprays will help during those first few days when you feel like you want to die. I'm not sure if what's in them would affect breastfeeding. Lots of hot showers tend to break it up a bit so you can breath as well. Drink lots of really hot liquids.

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

JMarie
01-07-2003, 08:20 PM
How much more can you take?!?! I just got over a sinus infection, and the only thing that helped (the only thing I could really take) was Maximum Strength Tylenol Sinus. I also started sleeping sitting up - almost completely up. Anything less and my head was completely stuffed - no breathing through the nose. The only problem with the Tylenol was it dried my sinuses out so much, I started getting a bloody nose at least once a day. Since I won't be able to breastfeed due to other meds I have to start back on after I give birth, I haven't done any research on what OTC meds you can take while breastfeeding, so I'm not sure if you can take the Tylenol. The humidifier worked wonderfully. I also tried using B&BW Stress Relief Cream under my nose - it's spearmint and eucalyptus and really helps clear the sinuses. It only worked once the worst was over though. I certainly hope you start feeling better soon. It took me almost five weeks to shake it...

JMarie
EDD 2/23/03
Aidan Christopher

mamahill
01-07-2003, 08:28 PM
Oh Rachel! When it rains... I took Tylenol for a sinus infection and the only thing that helped relieve the pressure in my head was to use Afrin. I know I probably wasn't supposed to, but at that point I was ready to wean and do whatever because when you can't sleep, what CAN you do? I only used it for a couple days and then only at night so I could sleep. But other than that, like Tammy said, the shower was my friend. Just letting the hot water hit my face and sort of breathing it in was nice. I LOVE the spearmint/eucalyptus stuff at B&BW.

Other than that, make sure you're drinking your fluids. Your milk supply could be affected since you have so much fluid coming out your nose (lovely) and your body is focusing on fighting it. Also, have you heard of Airborne? It's a homeopathic tablet that disolves in water packed with all the good cold-fighting stuff. And just baby yourself. And whine all you want -- I'll "pat your hand" and feel sorry for you!

nigele
01-07-2003, 08:34 PM
Rachel,

If you can't take Sudafed, try Afrin - it isn't absorbed systemically like Sudafed so it won't affect your milk supply. Also, Try taking a hot shower and draping a washcloth over your face. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

jojo2324
01-07-2003, 09:19 PM
I have no solutions, just well wishes to send your way!

COElizabeth
01-07-2003, 09:30 PM
Have you tried flushing your sinuses out with salt water squirted up into your nostrils from a bulb syringe? I do that now when I start to get stuffy, and I am convinced it has cut down on the number of colds that turn into sinus infections, and I think it would also help with existing infections. My doctor once gave me a "recipe," but now I don't bother with the exact proportions and just mix up some warm salty water with a couple of dashes of baking soda. Hold one side of your nose while you squirt up the other. You may have to do it a few times, but you should get a lot of gunk out. It's pretty messy, but it makes me feel much better. Hope you are well soon!

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

nohomama
01-07-2003, 09:41 PM
Poor Rachel. Woe is you.

I've always found essential oils really helpful for colds. The oils themselves are antibactial so can help prevent a secondary infection as well as stimulate the body's own ability to fight off infection. Lavender, Eucalyptus, and Tea Tree are all good for this. Thyme is a good inhalant for sore throats and Marjoram will help reduce the shivers and aching assciated with a cold.

The easiest way to adminster the oils is in a hot bath. 5 drops of neat (undiluted) essential oil should be sufficient for a tub of water. Make sure to aggitate the water to dispurse the oil before you get in. You can also apply the oils neat to the soles of your feet. This works reflexively (as in reflexology). If your skin tends to be sensitive, dilute the essential oils in a tablespoon of carrier oil first. Any food grade oil will work. Whatever you do DO NOT take the oils internally. This should only be done under the supervision of a physician familiar with aromatherapy. It's common practice in France where prescriptions for essential oils are filled at the pharmacy.

The one caveat to all this is that essential oils tend to cancel out the benefits of homeopathic remedies. Some people use both, separating the aromatherapy treatment from taking a remedy by at least an hour and/or using a smaller amount of essential oils.

Aside from that, lost of liquids, lots of steam (warm mist humidifier, shower, or bath) and lots of rest, will eventually cure what ails you.

Hope you feel better.

todzwife
01-07-2003, 10:11 PM
Does Vicks or another menthol rub help? I don't really like to rub it on, but I just hold the jar up to my nose and it does help. I agree with the salt water thing too, even though it makes me gag having it run back down my throat (maybe I didn't do it right...tee-hee) Good luck. You poor thing! Get better!
Shandelle :)