PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on my registry list

natividad
01-08-2003, 12:41 PM
Hi ladies! I was hoping you experienced moms/dads could give me some input on my registry list. Below I am including the things that I "think" I will need based on a lot of research I have done and the various opinions I have read on this board, plus the Field's book. Can you OH SO helpful moms/dads once again give me some feedback? Anything I should add/delete? Thanks again!!!

P.S. Baby will be born early March
Naty

Clothing:
I have received/bought tons of stuff already so I only registered for one 5 pack bodysuit and one 5 pack sidesnap. I also registered for one of those Wear-a-Blanket sleepers. I already have about 6 footed sleepers, 3 gowns, several cutesy outfits, 4 pairs of socks, and 3 caps/hats

Bedding and Nursery items:
-2 large blankets
-2 packs of smaller receiving blankets (4 to a pack)
-2 Ultimate crib sheets
-4 crib sheets
-2 sheet savers
-1 waterproof crib/toddler bed pad
-1 Classica foam mattress
-Graco Nursery Time Pack n' Play
-2 Pack n' Play sheets
-1 Mobile for crib
-FP Sounds n Lights monitor
-Slant/Fin Germ Free Humidifier
-Hugster support pillow
-Nursery care Kit
-High Speed digital thermometer

Strollers, carriers, car seats, ect:
-Peg Perego Pliko stroller
-Soft carrier - Nojo Original Babysling (or should I get the Bjorn carrier instead?)
-Snugride car seat-5pt w/Latch
-Combi Urban Sling diaper bag (I had a really hard time deciding between the US and the Traditional). Hope I made the right decision with the US.

Feeding and Bath items:
I am planning to BF for as long as possible, plus pump for when I go back to work.
-Avent Newborn Starter Feeding set
-2 Newborn nipples
-2 Slow Flow nipples
-3 packs of Gerber Seal n Go Breast milk storage bags (these were recommended at the store over the Medela and Avent bags)
-Avent Isis Back to Work pump
-Bottle warmer
-Bottle drying rack
-Avent Electric Steam Sterilizer (I think there are two camps on this one - some think it is total waste. Reason I registered for it is that my appliances at home are really old - we're probably talking 80's here - and I don't trust my dishwasher to clean my bottles. I don't use my microwave except to pop popcorn so for this reason, I didn't go for the smaller, less expensive microwave sterilizer.
-First Years Bath Tub/Bath Seat Combo
-2 3 piece Washcloth sets
-4 Hooded towels with washcloth

Diapering items:
I am planning on CD, but I also registered at the store for:
-2 packs of Kushies washable liners
-3 rolls of Kushies flushable liners
-1 6 pack Burp cloths (should I have more of these?)
I don't need a changing table, pad or pad covers. The cloth diapers I will get online, but I am also stacking up on disposables for the first two weeks or so.

Toys and Misc. items:
I registered for several Lamaze/Learning Curve toys including:
-Inchworm
-First Mirror
-Soft Sorter
-Clutch Cube
-Crib Side Graphics
-Traveling Mobile
-What to Expect the First Year book

etwahl
01-08-2003, 12:48 PM
I'm also where you are right now -- trying to perfect my registry list, especially since my shower is on Saturday. One question for you. Are you registered at BRU? If so, what are the "sheet savers" under? I couldn't find them on the site. Maybe I'm just missing it somehow.

As far as the sterilizer goes, I registered for the same item. We actually have a new dishwasher, but it's not as good as I hoped it would be. We didn't buy a totally expensive one because we're selling the house this summer, but I just don't like it. I think I'll prefer to keep pumps and bottles separate just for that reason.

Also, I'm wondering about some of the other items you have under feeding and bath. What will you use the bottle drying rack for? I literally don't know, so I'm wondering if I'd also want one. I'm going to be a SAHM, but plan to be giving bottles 1-3 times a week, so I'm curious. When it comes to the feeding part of the registry, I'm still very clueless. Hopefully that will come with experience.

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

nohomama
01-08-2003, 01:11 PM
Here are just a few things that come to mind right off the bat:

The Slant Fin is and EXCELLENT humidifier. If I hadn't already owned one I would have registered for one too.

I wasn't a big fan of slings with lots of padding, like the Nojo. I had better luck with a Maya Wrap style sling I made myself. We also had a New Native Pouch sling that Lola's father loved. We both had difficulty using it as Lola got older. In terms of front carriers, I found the Bjorn a killer on my back so I'd recommend something more supportive like the Baby Trekker or one of the Kelty front carriers.

I'd register for at least a dozen burp clothes. We went through them like water.

I went looking for the Soft Sorter at a fabulous locally owned toy store and couldn't find it amongst their selection of Lamaze toys. When I asked the owner why, he said they didn't carry it because any of the shapes fit through any of the holes due to the fact that it was soft. I thought that was a good point and ended up buying a Fisher Price hard plastic shape sorter at a consignment store for $3.

I'm not a huge fan of the "What to Expect..." books. I'd also register for the Sears Baby Book.

Other than that, I'll have to ruminate to see if I think of something else. Hope you find some of that useful information.

natividad
01-08-2003, 01:25 PM
Hi Tammy!

I am not registered at BRU. The sheet saver was suggested to me as a way to "save" your actual crib sheet from baby's spit ups, etc. In essence, they look like cotton pads that you attach to the crib (or is it the mattress?) and they will go under the baby's head. I am not sure how useful they will be, but they were inexpensive so I thought I would get 2 - for when one is in the laundry and the other one in use.

The bottle drying rack is just a small plastic rack with sticks for placing bottles upside down. You can also dry nipples and other feeding items. I suppose the Avent sterilizer will also dry the bottles so again, I am sure how much use I will get from this.

I guess you learn as you go :-)

HTH,
Naty (March 03)

Momof3Labs
01-08-2003, 01:37 PM
Hmmm...

How about something like the Gymini or the Boppy 5-in-1 for playtime? Even the littlest babies seem to like these.

A bouncy chair? Colin hated his, but a lot of babies love theirs!

A swing? I'd highly recommend one.

An exersaucer - a must, in my opinion!

Definitely at least 12 burp cloths/cloth diapers - we sometimes go through that in a day! I'd also register for more receiving blankets - we go through a lot of these also as they are truly multi-purpose! Get some knit stretchy ones for swaddling.

The sheet savers are wonderful (the ones that tie on, right?), but I don't think that BRU has them online. The brand is Especially for Baby (I checked ours last night).

Tub - my favorite is the Eurotub. I'm not familiar with the one that you chose, but something to think about.

I'd register for more onesies in different sizes - maybe one five-pack in 0-3, 3-6 and 6-9 month sizes.

If you are pumping when you go back to work, I'd skip the Isis and go with a PIS. Also skip the slow flow nipples - it is better to try to keep a bf'ing baby on the newborn nipples.

How about the Baby Einstein videos? Does BRU carry them?

That's what comes to mind right now - I'll let you know if I think of more!

Lori & Colin 9/28/02

natividad
01-08-2003, 01:43 PM
Thank you Sarah! I had a feeling that I should registered for more burp cloths. I will also look into the carriers you mentioned. In all honesty, I am not crazy about the Baby Bjorn. The company may have done all the research in the world, but I just think it is unnatural for a newborn to be carried in such position. If I got the Bjorn, I would use it when the baby develops more muscle support. Thanks again!

Naty (March 03)

mama2be
01-08-2003, 02:03 PM
I too am working on my registry today after I got a call from my girl friend last night begging me not to let her guess what I wanted from everyone...:)

I too can not stand my "what to expect" book...I find it is filled with recipes and a bunch of crap-ola...gee wish I was smart enough to have packaged a book that everyone gets 5 of when they are pregnant that is just filled with recipes. Due to this I have no desire to get the "what to expect in the future" books. Also I think such an item could be purchased 2nd hand a consignment and thus frees you up to get a gift that you could really use.
Books I would like..
Happiest baby on the block
Baby Whisperer
Dr Sears
And the one that Beth (Egoldbear recommended recently)-name escapes me

Even if BRU has Baby Einstein I am steering folks towards Costco for those since they are $99 for the set of 10 DVDs...

I am also letting my hostess know what i do have so if soemone asks she is able to tell them, "oh she has all of her diapers" etc... etc...She is a good enough friend to appropriatly tell her how to steer folks BUT only if they ask....

Your registry looks very good...a lot more detailed and better than mine. I want wierd things...
sterling pacifier holder (please no input I want it...sterling fan here) love heirlooms...and random things...

Poor baby will have no toys but he'll have a sterling pacifier clip and christening shell from his god mother to keepsake forever.

I also registered for the item that Rachel recommended to put in a grocery cart/public high chair...there were three listed in that post though I prefered the one Rachel got becaseu it came in black and white since I listed it under my registry I chose the 2nd one since it was $20 less...but would love one of those!!!

HTH...

natividad
01-08-2003, 02:04 PM
Thank you so much for your input! I thought about the Gymini, but decided not to register for it since we are truly lacking space in our townhouse. I should have mentioned that we have an extremely small 2 bedroom townhouse and we just don't have the room for a lot of stuff. Should I really go for the Gymini though? I was just planning to use a blanket on the floor with toys for tummy play.

I am still debating on the swing. Don't know much about the exersaucer. Again, we have a very small home so space is definitely an issue. Also, I am trying to get what I really need, instead of what I really want :-)

I liked the Eurotub, but it was too big for our bathroom. I also do have the Einstein tapes on my registry, but did not include them on my post since I wanted to get the input on the other more essential items.
Thanks again!

Naty (March 03)

COElizabeth
01-08-2003, 02:21 PM
A swing anecdote... I have a friend who was in a small apartment and also trying to save space. When a friend offered the couple their baby swing, my friend's DH said, 'I thought we agreed not to put any more furniture in our place." She said she didn't think of the swing as furniture and convinced him to throw it in the trunk of their car just in case. A few days later, she came home to find DH reading the New York Times with the baby happily swinging away. He looked up and said, "This is the best piece of furniture we ever got!" Think of it as a trade of space for time - time to have your hands free to take something out of the oven or even possibly eat for five minutes without holding the baby!

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

twins r fun
01-08-2003, 03:23 PM
I would add a 2nd matress pad. When your 1 year old throws up his entire solid food dinner, you'll want to change everything!

Along the line of what others have said, I would make room for a swing. When he's getting too old for the swing, take it down and get an exersaucer. This will give you 15+ minutes of sanity for 10 months-well worth a corner of your house! We have a small townhouse also and were worried about it being overtaken with baby stuff. But once your life has been overtaken, you figure what's one more spot in your house!

Nicole

CherylT
01-08-2003, 04:05 PM
The Gymini I have folds and snaps in half when not in use (I store it behind the couch). I would really recommend this - both my kids loved it (unlike the swing and the bouncy seats). It's actually a very safe place to keep baby when you have to run to the laundry room, bathroom, etc. since it is on the ground (that is provided you don't have dogs/cats/toddlers :)). Best wishes to you...

Cheryl (aka CT)
SAHM to Lilli 9/20/00 & Alec 10/21/02

sweetbasil
01-08-2003, 04:18 PM
Naty,
I'd have to echo Lori on a couple of things- couldn't have made it without the bouncy seat, boppy, shopping cart seat, gymini, and LOTS of diaper cloths, diaper table pads, washcloths, and socks (the second thing to go in the wash when baby has diaper problems). Also, I'd go with a waterproof mattress pad for baby's crib, and I got another 2 (long, skinny pads) for myself-- I was a BF mom and a major milk producer, so it kept me from washing OUR sheets every day after getting soaked in milk during the night :) Also, I had the Avent Isis for a while, and after getting a prescription from my ped., got the Pump-In-Style & LOVED it!

Kellen would not eat in his high chair OR sit in the swing- they both lasted about 5 weeks at our house. There's just no way to know that kind of stuff before your sweet little one makes his/her

I'm not a big "What to Expect" girl, either. I did purchase "Caring For Your Baby and Young Child, Birth to Age 5" by Dr. Shelov from the ped's office before Kellen was born, and it's been really helpful.

One great thing that BRU has is a "teething spoon." I started letting Kellen chew on it when he was pretty young, and he's great with utensils now. It was able to reach back there where the teethers couldn't. Also, stacking cups are always a great thing for little ones to have to play with. Finally, LANSINOH was a must have for my nursing- I had my mom go out and get a tube of Lansinoh and a curved side sleeper for baby before we got home from the hospital.

This is so exciting to think about...again! I wish you the best :)

cara1
01-08-2003, 04:34 PM
Okay, here goes...

As for the Avent starter set...since you're registering it doesn't really matter, but it is a rip off. It's cheaper to buy each of the items in the kit separately. I agree that all you really need is newborn nipples if you will be BF.

We too are short on space. I'd recommend a bouncy seat (that vibrates!) over a swing any day. Too hard to move the swing into the bathroom while you shower, but the bouncy seat was easy to move anywhere. Hold off on the exersaucer if you're worried about space. It can be used for longer than the bouncy, but you may not need it.

We have the Gymini, and I can honestly say I think this is a very over rated toy. I put DS under that thing every morning for the first few months and I don't think he got too much out of it. As he got older, though, I detached the toys and put them on other things like his stroller. This he liked.

One of those head rest things for the infant car seat.

I second the idea for the shopping cart safety seat. I love my BabyalaCart. Best thing EVER. But not available by registry.

Plan ahead, too, don't forget to register for things you will need in a few months, too, such as...

bibs (both small drool ones and bigger ones for solids...my favorite one for meals is Bumkins from the One Step Ahead catalog...the best)
spoons
sippy cups, bowls
high chair or equivalent (we don't have a high chair, we use The First Years Reclining Feeding Seat for home and for restaurants)
travel high chair/booster seat

nohomama
01-08-2003, 10:32 PM
Some additions:

I'm a minimalist, which is helpful since our place is small. There are a lot of things people have suggested that we lived without. I'm not arguing the merits of any of the suggestions but you CAN survive with very little. I would advise holding off on large items you won't be using from the start.

How could I have forgotten a bouncy seat!!!!! Definitely register for one. I think most of the inexpensive ones are garish. These two aren't $20 but they aren't ugly either.
http://www.babybjorn.com/mainframeset.data,en
http://www.combi-intl.com/combi/9710.htm

I second the suggestion a nursing pillow of some sort. The nice thing about the 5 in 1 Boppy is that it doubles and a toy.

jubilee
01-09-2003, 09:03 PM
As for books, look into "Your Baby's First Year, Week by Week" by Glade B. Curtis MD. I've been reading it already and really like it. (They also have a Pregnancy Week by Week book that is good.) If you get the ultimate crib sheets, my understanding is that you'll only need one regular crib sheet just to make the side of the crib look right. The ultimate sheet protects the regular sheet, so you won't be changing it anyway. And also, would you need the waterproof pad with the ultimate sheet? And someone had mentioned once that if you're having a boy that extra baby washcloths are great as a cover-up while changing the diaper, so when I registered I asked for 12-16 washcloths.

egoldber
01-09-2003, 09:36 PM
In general, I think that your list is pretty complete and wouldn;t worry too much about adding stuff. You'll figure out what you like and need as you go along. But that being said...

Personally, I am more on the minimalist side as well. But I would recommend a bouncy seat and a swing. In those early days it is handy to have as many places as possible to be able to put your baby down while you go to the bathroom, etc.

Unlike many folks, I did not really think that the Gymini was worth the money. A blanket on the floor with toys amused my DD just as much as the Gymini ever did. And many babies (like mine) are overstimulated by all these new toys that make noise and have a zillion toys and lights on them. But I also never had an exersaucer and never missed it.

I never used a sterilizer or a warmer.

I DID like the WTE the First Year. I think it is a nice overall reference. If you liked WTEWYE, then you'll like WTETFY. We scoured it CONSTANTLY during the first few weeks. I also really recommend Burton White's "The First Three Years of Life" and Ellyn Satter's "Child of Mine: Feeding with Love and Good Sense". Those are the only three books I really look at all the time. I read a few sleep books too and of all those I recommend Marc Weissbluth's "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child", but he's not for everyone. I am not a big fan of Dr Sears, he's too "squishy" for me, but a lot of people do like him.

The Nojo sling generally gets poor reviews. Something like the Maya Wrap sling or Kangaroo Korner sling are generally considered more versatile. Many DH's like the Bjorn, but it has a limited lifespan, and they are readily available at consignment stores.

If you're using the Ultimate Crib Sheet, you really don't need 4 crib sheets. Two is probably plenty (1 is OK, but I would never have the guts to do that). And you don't also need a waterproof mattress pad.

If you're going to go back to work, I would recommend an electric pump like the Medela PIS. The Avent Isis, while OK for occasional use, is really not suitable for those women who need to pump enough milk for their babies to take all day while they are at work.

Personally, I wouldn't register for a bunch of stuff for when your baby is older. You don;t know how fast they'll grow and you will develop preferences over time for how you prefer to dress them, feed them, they will have sippy cup preferences, etc. I would concentrate on the basics.

HTH,

natividad
01-12-2003, 12:56 PM
Hello,

I just wanted to thank you all for giving me such useful feedback! I have decided to take the Nojo sling off my registry. After thinking more about it, I have also taken off the bottle sterilizer and replaced it with guess what...A SWING! :-)

I am still not getting a Gymini or an exersaucer because I just really do not see the need [or space] for these items in my home. Plus, I am more of a minimalist myself. I had already bought the Satter and White book based on Beth's recommendation some time ago, but I am still keeping the WTETFY book. Again, thanks to all of you who responded. You are super!

Naty (March 03)

natividad
01-12-2003, 01:09 PM
Ooops, I also forgot to mention that I had originally registered for a bouncy seat, but forgot to include it on my original list. I went with the FP Kick N Play.

Naty (March 03)

luvbeinmama
01-14-2003, 02:40 AM
-4 crib sheets -- I WOULD GET 2, NO NEED FOR FOUR W THE SHEET SAVERS
-2 sheet savers
-1 waterproof crib/toddler bed pad - IF YOU MEAN A WATERPROOF MATTRESS PAD, I WOULD SKIP IT, GET A REGULAR PAD AND A VINYL COVER FOR THE MATTRESS ITSELF IF IT'S NOT WATERPROOF ALREADY (SOME MATTRESSES ARE)

-Avent Newborn Starter Feeding set - PROBABLY A GOOD START
-2 Newborn nipples - YOU DON'T NEED THESE, EACH BOTTLE COMES WITH THIS SIZE NIPPLE
-2 Slow Flow nipples - MY 3 MONTH OLD STILL ISN'T USING THIS SIZE... TOO MUCH FOR HER

-1 6 pack Burp cloths (should I have more of these?) - AT LEAST 12, PROBABLY 24... I USE FLATFOLD DIAPERS.

-Soft carrier - Nojo Original Babysling (or should I get the Bjorn carrier instead?) - LOVE MY BABY BJORN!!!!!!!!
-Snugride car seat-5pt w/Latch - ALSO GET MIGHTY TIGHT (SEAT BELT RATCHET TIGHTENER)... MAKES INSTALLING WITH PROPER SNUGNESS MUCH EASIER!!!!

5 pack sidesnap. - ONLY USED THESE ONCE WHEN I HAD TO LEAVE HER DIAPERLESS DUE TO A BLOODY RASH. I WOULDN'T BOTHER.

one 5 pack bodysuit - REGISTER FOR DIFFERENT SIZES AND KEEP IN PKG UNTIL YOU NEED THEM, JUST IN CASE.

SLEEPERS ARE THE BEST OUTFITS IMHO! UNLESS IT'S HOT, THEN ONESIES.

DEFINITELY GET A SWING!!! DD DOESN'T CARE FOR THE BOUNCY SEAT. EXERSAUCER CAN WAIT.

SORRY THIS IS SO CHOPPY, TYPING ONE-HANDED W/ SLEEPING BABY!

HTH!

Ang6
01-14-2003, 04:47 PM
Hi,

Don't forget to get a bouncer. My friends and I all love the Fisher Price Kick and Play bouncer. You'll use this for feeding, watching TV, etc. for months and months to come. The best baby item by far, in my opinion.

You'll probaby want more burp cloths. The cloth diapers actually work much better because they're more absorbent.

Also, I hear the Medela Breast pumps are much less painful.

Good luck and congratulations!
Ang :)

blnony
01-14-2003, 05:40 PM
I just have a few things to add.

DD never liked her swing, but she loves her bouncy seat. They aren't that expensive and you don't really know ahead of time what your baby may prefer.

I agree, use cloth diapers for burp cloths. They are more absorbent, and cover a larger area.

I didn't like the Avent bottle brush, but you can use any brush with the Avent system (even if they say otherwise). I preferred the sponge ended ones from Target. They did a much better job cleaning nipples and pump parts.

I never used t-shirts. DD still wears footed sleepers all the time. She can get socks off even if I glued them to her feet, so its much easier. I didn't like the gowns, but others really like them.

Also, for toys, DD loves Tucker the Turtle by Lamaze. Its a great toy and its always been her favorite. But she didn't even notice any type of toy until she was a couple months old, so I wouldn't worry too much about toys now.

Another item that I swear by are the white noise machines. There are several different types out there, but this really made a difference in my DD's sleeping. We have one that clips onto the crib by the mobile. DD is 5 months old and we still use it. You may want to check into these, I've read other posts here about how pleased some are with these machines.

Good luck. It's so exciting preparing for you child!