PDA

View Full Version : Flying solo next week...Any advice for me????

megsmom
01-09-2003, 11:11 PM
I am going to visit my folks next week in MN with Meghan while dh is on a business trip. We have a connection in O'Hare (no direct flights) but with a 90 min window between flights. I think I have this worked out but would appreciate any advice you guys have to give.

A friend will take me to the airport and hopefully be able to help me inside with the bags/gear and dh will pick me up so I don't need to worry about long term parking and shuttles. I will put Meg in her carseat on the plane and in the airport will tote it in the carseat backpack tote while I push the lightweight stroller which also carries the diaper bag. I guess my main concern is installing the carseat. Normally when we travel together, dh installs the seat while I hold Meg. I do know how to do it on my own, though. I'm hoping to get a flight attendant to help me if this is possible, if not, I think my only other option is to lap belt Meg into the other seat while I install the seat quickly. Is this safe I wonder? Also, I know American got rid of early boarding with parents of small children (dumb policy I think). Will they make exceptions for parents lugging squirmy toddlers and bulky carseats? I know I should call them and will tomorrow, but it would be great to hear about any experiences out there.

Jen
mom to Meghan
7/13/01

egoldber
01-09-2003, 11:27 PM
Jen, at her age it's perfectly safe to belt Meg in while you install the carseat. It's much safer than her running off in the plane, LOL!! And while asking the flight attendants for help is a good idea in theory, the reality is that the flight attendants are VERY busy pre-flight and are not always readily available.

Since Meg has a seat, did you order a meal for her? Make sure to call the airline and order a toddler meal. And don't underestimate the value of the contents of the seat pocket for entertainment value. Sarah has spent many a flight happily looking at the in-flight magazine, the Skymall catalog and playing with the barf bags!!! And the safety card is always a favorite, with its bright colorful pictures!

I will probably be chastised for this, but my experience is that it is much easier to install a convertible carseat forward facing, rather than rear facing in an airplane. So if you can't get it to work rear facing, forward facing may be much easier.

I enjoy changing planes in O'Hare because there is a lot to see and do. Although 90 minutes actually doesn't give you a lot of time between flights espcially if you need to change terminals.

HTH,

darebear
01-09-2003, 11:42 PM
I usually fly American, most times without out DH and I have had mixed experiences. They will not let you board early unless you are flying first class. One time I had the co-pilot ask if I needed any help getting on, another time I asked one of the first class flight attendants to help me and he said no and then stood right in my way serving drinks. I guess it all depends on the crew. Other passangers are usually pretty helpful also when they see all you are carrying. I normally will sit DS in the carseat while I fold up the stroller to be gate checked, or if they make you put it through the x-ray machine. I also sit DS forward facing, because otherwise the buckle sits right under his legs and he gets uncomfortable. Good Luck.

Allison

darebear
01-10-2003, 12:16 AM
Something else I thought about, try not to wear anything that will set off the metal detectors, because they will pull you aside most likely before you have a chance to gather your bags off the belt. And also it depends on the airport, but I flew from NYC to Houston a couple of weeks ago with DS and people wearing anything except sneakers had to take their shoes off and put them through the x-ray, including my 2 year old. That happened in both directions. He happened to set the machine off also so they took him aside and wanded him.