PDA

View Full Version : Changing cat litter while breastfeeding?

etwahl
01-10-2003, 01:11 AM
Is it safe to change the cat litter after I've had the baby, if I'm breastfeeding? I didn't think it was a problem, but one of my friends thought it was a bad idea.

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

egoldber
01-10-2003, 09:22 AM
I did it. The risk with cat litter is from toxoplasmosis which can be transmitted from mother to fetus via the placenta. I wiould just make sure to wash your hands thoroughly (as I'm sure you do anyway!!).

If you are concerned about it pre-baby, you could have your cat(s) tested for it. If they are negative and your cats don't go outside or get exposed to other cats, then it isn't a concern for you at all.

HTH,

dd_ani
01-10-2003, 02:47 PM
It shouldn't be a problem, but you can get litter box liners to use to minimize exposure to cat litter. (I just use a plastic garbage bag, nothing fancy. Then you just take the bag off, seal, and throw the whole thing away.) You can also get one of those littermaid boxes that scoop and seal the waste into a container for you so you never have to come into contact with it. That would also help so you don't have to lift as much after the baby comes.

Another thing you can do is have your doctor do a blood test to check to see if you have been exposed to toxo previously. If you already have, it is not a big concern for you during pregnancy.

Good luck,

Michelle

etwahl
01-10-2003, 03:03 PM
I've grown up with cats my whole life, so I expect this not to be a problem. Both our cats are also indoor. However, DH insists that I not change the litter no matter what during pregnancy. My friend comes over to change it (we actually do have the littermaid) while he's away. I was just curious about the breastfeeding timing. I didn't think it was a problem (darn, I could have had another excuse to not change the litter for while!)

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

mama2be
01-10-2003, 06:48 PM
Tammy you might want your doctor to so the blood test...my vet mentioned to do this, DH is changing it so I didn't do it...but that might put your mind at ease...I doubt it is an expensive test...military would probably pick up the tab due to circumstance anyway...

Like you said...must say it is nice to not have that task on my list of to do's...:)...