PDA

View Full Version : How much weight gain during pregnancy?

etwahl
01-11-2003, 01:08 AM
I'm feeling huge these days, and I know I'm totally in the normal range, but I need some reassurance. I've always been very paranoid about weight gain, and seriously thought I'd gain only 25 pounds total during this pregnancy. But I'm already at 26 and I still have eight weeks until my EDD. My guess is I'll hit that 35 lb mark after all. Should I be concerned? Will it take me forever to lose the weight? It seems I'm mostly carrying it all up front and very low, and DH says from the back I definitely don't look any different, but I'm still a little paranoid. I know breastfeeding can make you hold onto some weight for a while, right? I think I will be glad to have that mountain buggy and hopefully able to do lots of walking to burn it off.

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

abigailsmom
01-11-2003, 01:53 AM
Tammy-
I had Abigail in August and by Thanksgiving I was back into the larger sizes in my closet. That's with breastfeeding (aka grazing ALL day long), having a c-section, and without working out. I had Abigail at 38 weeks ( 8 lbs) and I had already gained 50 pounds. I gained that much despite the fact I worked full time as a server up until 4 days before I delivered.
Some people just gain a ton of weight no matter what they do and some (fortunate) people don't. As long as your OB isn't concerned and you feel healthy, enjoy the period in your life that you weight more than you ever thought you would and people who see you will see a radiant beautiful pregnant woman. Even having gained 50 lbs, I felt like a goddess of fertility b/c of the people I had around me that encouraged me. So as an end to this lengthy post... look at your beautiful, pregnant little self every time you feel down and remember what a gift you're creating.

JMarie
01-11-2003, 02:14 AM
I have gained - so far - about 40 pounds and I have seven weeks to go. I am also carrying in front and very low, and according to my OB's most recent measurements, Aidan is running SMALL for his 'age.' I know much of the gain has been from lack of exercise (I have been restricted from exercise since 12 weeks) and from my inability to take medication necessary to regulate my digestive system. I certainly haven't been eating any more than before - I haven't even had any cravings! I am terrified as well about losing the weight afterwards, especially since I don't know how my body will react to the sudden drop in hormone levels. If it reacts the way my GI doctor thinks it will, I might not have too much of a problem. I'll just spend the first three months in the bathroom all day and there goes the weight! Regardless of your gain, as long as your doctors aren't worried, you really shouldn't be either. I was reading the other day about a celebrity - can't recall which one - who gained 80 pounds during her pregnancy. I'm only at half that. I don't feel so bad. I know I will probably have to work out a little harder after the pregnancy in order to lose the weight, but I can live with that. As long as you and the baby are healthy, that's all that matters.

JMarie
EDD 2/23/03
Aidan Christopher

mama2be
01-11-2003, 11:36 AM
I am at 34 weeks as of yesterday and love love love food...so thought that I'd gain a ton of weight. I have always been on the small size till I met DH who cook and cooks...

I have gained 13 lbs from my pre preg weight...for months I only gained 1 lbs and then gained 7lbs and then to 9lbs then to 13lbs, (one scale at a local SAMS I think put me at 15lbs) but the day before yesterday at the MW appt I weighed 13lbs more, I don't think I dropped I think the SAMS club scale was wrong.

BUT to add to that...I was in a sales job and laid off weeks before conception...I went out to great restaurants everyday entertaining clients and was eating "very well", healthy, but eating fine cuisine everyday. So I supect that I lost that weight and gained my preg weight. I say that becaseu I really think my face, legs etc...are actually thinner than my immediate pre preg weight...

I am all out in front, and feel huge...my boobs are pretty saggy too and know I have gained there (they were always "just norm")...

I have craved very good foods for me thru out this preg though (thank god)...

gour0
01-11-2003, 11:42 AM
I still have nine weeks to go and I've already gained 41 lbs. I feel huge, too, but I'm not worried about it. And, I think you lose weight better if you do bf than if you don't, but that's just what I've read. It sounds like you are a very active person and I have no doubt you will bounce back very quickly. You hardly even look pregnant in any of your photos! I'm kind of jealous. :)

stillplayswithbarbies
01-11-2003, 11:47 AM
Before I got pregnant, I had lost 70 pounds on the Atkins way of eating. Following Dr. Atkins advice, I moved to the maintenance level while pregnant so as not to lose weight while pregnant.

I have gained about 16 pounds and I am 30 weeks. I have not had trouble with cravings (well, except for that one night when we had to go in search of a hot fudge sundae at 9:30 PM) and I have not had trouble eating healthy foods. I have allowed myself a little treat now and then, and enjoyed some things that I would not have been able to eat before I was pregnant.

The baby is at 70th percentile for size right now and is on track to be a little over 8 pounds at birth. (according to the sonogram on Dec 31). I expect that I will gain maybe 10 more pounds? I don't really know.

My first pregnancy, 12 years ago, I didn't do anything special, just ate the way I usually did. I remember a lot of pizza and french fries and Dairy Queen Blizzards. :) I gained 33 pounds with that one and never really lost any of it. Not even during birth, even though my baby was 9lbs 8 oz. (and then continued to gain until I had gained 80 pounds total in the last 12 years) I am determined not to have that problem this time, and to get right back to losing after the baby is born. I have about 30 or 40 pounds (after baby is born, based on my prepregnancy weight) to go to get to my goal weight and I plan to be there by Christmas.

I started this pregnancy weighing 10 pounds more than when I started my first pregnancy.

I think our bodies do what they need to do and all we can do is make sure we are providing the proper nutrients to grow a baby.

...Karen
EDD March 21

jojo2324
01-11-2003, 12:14 PM
Initially I LOST weight, up until I as about five months PG. I was horribly sick the first four months and could not keep a thing down, except maybe some nutritious things like ice cream and chocolate. :9 Losing weight freaked me out a bit, and my OB tsk-tsking didn't help either. I was very small the whole pregnancy, but when I did start to gain it all went to my belly somehow. Like someone else said, my legs and arms thinned. I think I gained 30 lbs total, but ten of those pounds came in my last month. OMG! It was so tight and uncomfortable, especially in the summer. I wish I had gained more weight, just to offset the creature inside me pushing with all his force against my tummy. Also, it might have helped keep the stretch marks at bay. (My friend once told me that the striations of my stomach were like those of a cantaloupe...Gee, thanks!) But now I am back down to below my pre-preggo weight, and have been since about three weeks PP. I have pretty much been BFing exclusively, so I think that is why. I'm actually scared about weaning because I'm positive that all that weight is just WAITING to come slather itself back on me. I realize that I am very fortunate, but I couldn't be any flabbier in the gut. It's really gross. And then throw in a cantaloupe comparison and my body image goes down the toilet. But I think the general rule is, nine months on, nine months off. Just enjoy eating with no repercussiions!

Just wanted to add that I was a 36-38 D pre-PG, and now am about the same. But my boobs are much much floppier. Do you ever see those documentaries about tribes in Africa and South America? You know, where the women are topless while they go about their daily activities and their two-year olds just sidle right up beside them, grab a boob and latch on? Anyway, I asked DH the other night in a fit of hormones if I looked like one of those tribeswomen. He just burst out laughing. But then he didn't say yes or no...

Rachels
01-11-2003, 12:49 PM
Actually, nursing gobbles up zillions of calories. The initial weight comes off faster for nursing moms, in general. Abigail nursed like a fiend, and I was back in my jeans in 6 weeks. So were most of the moms I know who nursed frequently and exclusively. The old bod is not what it used to be, but nursing is good for you both.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

COElizabeth
01-11-2003, 01:17 PM
Don't worry! My sister gained about 45 pounds with both kids and both times got back into her size 6 clothing. In fact I think she weighs less now than before kids. It did take several months, though. I wouldn't worry too much even if you aren't one of the lucky ones who is in her jeans by her post-partum appointment. I gained 49 pounds and still have 18 and 3 sizes to lose at nearly 4 months post-partum (and I breastfeed exclusively and frequently!), but I am not too concerned since my sister definitely followed the "9 months off" pattern. After being so huge, you really will feel pretty thin even when you have a ways to go. Plus, your calorie burning will no doubt increase as you are carrying a heavier and heavier baby and then as he or she starts moving and you are chasing him or her around!

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

mama2be
01-11-2003, 06:43 PM
I think Elizabeth hit it right on the head...after we've felt so huge we'll be happy with whatever body we get immediatly after pregnancy :):):)...

Joanne my DH did something similiar...he came behind me as I was changing for bed and said "big boobs" (something I have never heard in my life (atleast when discussing me)...and I said, "they're hanging...their ugly"...the booger said nothing...:)

Momof3Labs
01-11-2003, 07:23 PM
Elizabeth, count me in as another mom who breastfeeds exclusively and frequently and still has weight to lose at 15 weeks post-partum! I have 10 pounds left to lose (gained a little over 35) and two sizes to go.

Lori & Colin 9/28/02

ddmarsh
01-11-2003, 09:15 PM
I always get a laugh when I realize several weeks after giving birth that I am *not* skinny - it is so true that you feel thin afterwards :). The good thing is by the time you're back on your feet a bit to realize the truth you're also feeling a bit more energetic and able to think about dieting, etc.

I gained 60, 40 and 27 lbs. respectively with my other children and now have gained 30 and, while I was hoping for less, in the end it really doesn't matter - it's so wonderful to have that beautiful baby that the weight truly becomes much less of an issue.

This time I'm looking forward to getting a breast reduction after I wean the baby eventually since this will be my last child!

Debbie

jubilee
01-12-2003, 03:49 AM
Looks like many of us are in the same boat! I'm at 26 weeks along, so 14 more to go, and I've gained 19 pounds so far. I also just did the one hour glucose tolerence test and it said diabetes. So for the for the rest of the pregnancy I'm on a special "food plan" (in otherwords, a DIET- oh, I hate that word!) and have to do the three hour test on Friday morning to see if I'm going to have to go on medication or something. Even still my OB expects me to gain 1 pound a week, so that's another 14 pounds- and will put me at 35 total. Quite frankly, I'll be pretty happy with that gain. With my first son I gained 60-70 pounds, and he was 9#13oz. The worst part is right now I'm getting people that say how big I am, that I look ready to pop, and other rude comments that make me wonder how I'll look in 14 more weeks if I look so "huge" now...

etwahl
01-12-2003, 09:01 AM
Thanks for all the personal stories! It really helps when others can relate to how you're feeling. It didn't hurt yesterday at my shower when everyone kept commenting on how good I looked pregnant. One of my good friends even asked when I was going to start looking pregnant (which I know was a little white lie, but still, it made me feel good!) I guess our bodies do what they need to do to house our little miracles, and that's all that really matters.

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

spu
01-12-2003, 12:27 PM
this may sound silly, but I miss my pregnancy body. anoyone else? Despite the fact that I was hidden on bedrest from weeks 18-36, I loved feeling pregnant and seeing my belly grow! (and now that I look at pics, wow - was I huge!)

I gained 50 lbs, and by week 10 pp, I lost all of it. By the time the babies were 20 weeks old, I lost another 8. I only lost 20 during the delivery, and the rest came off nursing twins, not eating or sleeping enough, and loads of night sweats.

Don't worry about losing it too fast. The extra fluids and calories will help you adjust to life with baby and help your body recover from the delivery. I had alot of night shakes and overall queasy feeling afterward for a couple of months because I probably should have eaten more. It's just so hard when you're trying to nurse twins, sleep, eat, take a shower. Stock up now on healthy munchies - esp. breakfast things that you don't have to cook or prepare and can eat with one hand after the baby is born.

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
charlotte & else

mcmorfit
01-12-2003, 05:36 PM
I'm liking being pregnant and all the added benefits - no period, great hair, skin (well almost) and just the sensations of feeling the wee one move. I'm at 34 weeks and have gained 31 pounds so far. The one thing I am going to miss - and this is going to sound CRAZY - are my comfy maternity clothes. I really haven't had to buy any tops, but the pants I bought are great! I know I can still wear one pair, but my Humpty Dumpty pants as my DH calls them will need to be folded up and put away.

Ellen

spu
01-12-2003, 07:40 PM
yes - the pants!! I loved not having to zip, button, or belt!

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
charlotte & else

C99
01-12-2003, 08:58 PM
I've heard that a lot of people *lose* weight faster when they breastfeed. When you breastfeed, you burn something like 800 calories/day.

I have no idea how much weight I've gained during this pregnancy, but a friend of mine gained 60 with her first one and lost it all within 8 months of that...when she got pregnant with her second one. She gained ~30 with her second and had lost it all and then some by 4 months after that. She breastfed both babies and didn't work out except for chasing after the kids.

HTH,
Caroline

caroliner
01-13-2003, 01:20 AM
You may lose it faster than you think. I gained 28 pounds and was back to my pre-pregnancy weight within 2 weeks. My body was no where near the same for a while longer, but the weight came right off. My sister had the same thing happen to her and lots of my friends did too. I wouldn't worry about it if you are in the recommended weight gain range.