PDA

View Full Version : I'm scared - baby having surgery this week

spu
01-12-2003, 07:53 PM
My DD else is having surgery this week for a double inguenal (sp?) hernia. She's 5.5 months old, and my little one will be put under general anesthesia. Needless to say, I'm a little terrified. They say it's a rather quick procedure, and has to be done or it could become an emergency later on. There's so much to think about in situations like this. Fortunately, since I'm nursing, she can eat up to 3 hours prior. We've withheld starting solids incase she has any reactions to the foods.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or stuff I should do/not do, or think about? I have no idea even what to ask at the hospital about recovery, feeding, etc.

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
charlotte & else

todzwife
01-12-2003, 08:22 PM
So sorry to hear that! I don't have any suggestions, I just wanted to wish you (and your little one) good luck!
Shandelle ;)

twins r fun
01-12-2003, 09:11 PM
Hi Susan,

I think I've already told you my story-Caleb had the same surgery at 3 months. I think one of the worst parts is the wait while they can't eat-our surgery (like many) was pushed back so it ended up being longer without food than it had to be. And at 3 months you know babies aren't easily distracted from hunger! The other worst part is the moment you actually have to hand them over :(. It is a simple procedure, but still nerve racking. Ours was quick -enough time to eat lunch in the cafeteria + about 20 minutes of waiting. Recovery was easy, Caleb was somewhat uncomfortable and wanted to be held for the first 12 hours or so, but would sleep when held (he had to stay in the hospital overnight). It also took about that long for him to resume eating like normal. After that, it was honestly like nothing had happened. We had absolutely no complications, you can't see the scars at all, and there has been nor reoccurrance of the hernias.

Will Else's be outpatient or is she staying in the hospital? Will be thinking of you guys. Let me know if you have any questions..

Nicole

Rachels
01-12-2003, 10:01 PM
Susan, what day is her surgery? I've been thinking of you and can imagine how scared you must be. When I thought Abby was facing imminent surgery, I was a wreck. Let us know when it's going to be so we can send healing thoughts...

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

mama2be
01-13-2003, 12:34 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with you...she will do great I know!!!!!
PLease keep us posted on the date of her surgery, you know we are all there for you!!!

sweetbasil
01-13-2003, 01:04 AM
Susan,
I'm so sorry you have to go through this. Our DS had a minor surgery at 14 months, and it was a scary thing (for us) to face. We got a little anesthesia mask for him to hold against his face, so that when we got to the hospital and it was the real thing, he wasn't scared. But probably at 5.5 mo, Else won't have any worries.... Your family will be in my prayers!

jojo2324
01-13-2003, 01:35 AM
I don't have any words of comfort, but I had an inguinal hernia operated on a few years ago...I was a bit older than Else though! I just wanted to send some hugs your way, a big bear one for Else. Please let us know how it goes!

Sandy
01-13-2003, 03:04 AM
Susan,
I don't have any words of advice but wanted to let you know that you and Else will be in our thoughts. We're keeping our fingers crossed.
Sandy
mom to Alexander Thor 3/16/02

Annette_C
01-13-2003, 12:38 PM
Susan,
My thoughts and prayers are with you and Else. I know it's hard now but just think how much better she'll be after the surgery. Sometimes, by concentrating on the positive side of the situation helps us deal with the negative.
Sorry about my nickel psychology advice.....just trying to help.

Annette
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02

atlbaby
01-13-2003, 12:44 PM
Susan,
We haven't met yet--I just started posting here last week--but I wanted to send you, Else, and the rest of your family lots of well-wishes and good luck. Please keep us posted on how things go, and know that we will be thinking of you all!

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01

KimberleyDawn
01-13-2003, 12:53 PM
Susan,
Hugs and prayers to you and your family. Please keep us posted.
Kim

nohomama
01-13-2003, 01:36 PM
Susan,

I've no idea what to say to allay your fears. Good luck with the surgery. I hope all goes well and that everyone is feeling better once it's over.

Take care,

Magda
01-13-2003, 03:27 PM
Want you to know that you and your family are in my toughts.
Elaine

darebear
01-13-2003, 03:44 PM
Kids are strong, she will do great. My DS had surgery when he was 14 months, and he had anethesia(sp?) and I was a nervous wreck. The entire procedure took 15 minutes because it was in his mouth and since he had teeth they had to put him under. Are they going to let you go into the operating room until she is asleep? I was able to and I am not sure if I would recommend it. I would definately try and have someone there with you, to help with DD while you are getting her admitted. It took some time for the anethesia to wear off but once it did and he was fine. When we left the hospital they gave us a special number to call in case we had any questions and they also called later that night and the next day to check on him.

Allison

mamahill
01-13-2003, 04:00 PM
Just wanted to wish you and the little one well this week. I'll be thinking of you and hope all goes perfectly.

dogmom
01-13-2003, 04:04 PM
Susan,

I'm not a Mom (yet), but I am a nurse. It must feel very overwhelming for you, it would for me. Here's the things I can think of as a nurse.

Although your 5.5 month old girl looks so tiny to you to for general anethesia, your pediatric surgeon and anesthesiologist have seen so much smaller babies. I know that wouldn't give me a lot of comfort, but it would give me some.

No one is going to expect you to know all the questions to ask, or even remember what you are told. The nurse or doctor is required to give you WRITTEN instructions afterwards that cover all the questions you should have. (Feeding, what to expect, what to call about, recovery, pain control) They should also give you a phone number with a contact, usually a nurse, for after.

It can be really helpful to bring a friend with you, not just a family member. Sometimes someone outside the family can "hear" things a little better because he or she isn't so focused on the baby, but on you and the baby.

As a mom to be I promise to think of your little girl this week.

I hope some of this helps.

J.M.
EDC- TODAY!

spu
01-13-2003, 05:49 PM
thank you all so much for your warm thoughts and wishes. We're scheduled to go in this Thursday. Wednesday, I'm going to stay home and hold both babies all day.

I'll keep you posted once we come home.
thanks again!

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
charlotte & else

sntm
01-14-2003, 10:57 AM
I'll be thinking about you and else. if I remember rightly, she will be at Children's in Boston. you can't get much better. if they will let you, see if you can hold her while they administer the inhaled anesthesia. they can then carry her back. regardless, most nurses and docs who work exclusively with kids are really really good at keeping them comforted. let us know how things go.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03

newbelly2002
01-14-2003, 01:14 PM
Susan--

THinking of you and Else. . .. let us know how things go. And Shannon is right, Children's is fantastic.

Paula

Shirale
01-14-2003, 01:28 PM
Susan,
You are Else are in my thoughts as well. I hope everything goes well- please let us know how she is doing!

gour0
01-14-2003, 02:01 PM
I'm thinking of you as well. I hope you three have a good day today. Try to have positive thoughts.