PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE...Suggestions for basic parenting books

SASM
01-14-2003, 12:23 PM
Okay...the baby is due in a week and now it is really hitting me! We are going to be first-time parents in a WEEK and I have NO IDEA how to do that!!!! Are there any really basic parenting books out there that were a God-send to you?? I realize that parenting comes naturally but OH, AM I GETTING SCARED!!! I would love a good book to do a quick reference check instead of running to the phone to call Mom, the pediatrician, or my girlfriends.

Sorry...I am just having a moment...

Thank you, in advance!

Sharyn
EDD #1 01.21.03

Shirale
01-14-2003, 12:41 PM
I totally understand what you are feeling!!! It took me so long to really feel somewhat competant...I used the What to Expect the first years book and while it is certainly not perfect, it does have a ton of great info, esp for first time parents- even stuff on how to bathe, hold, burp etc...I found it very helpful for the first couple of months but haven't looked at it in a while!

Melanie
01-14-2003, 02:04 PM
Dr. Sears "Baby Book" was opened many a 3 a.m. in the early weeks at our house!

Mommy to Jonah

egoldber
01-14-2003, 02:44 PM
I also really liked WTE The First Year. I think it is a great basic reference. It is a big book, but initially I would just concentrate on the section called "The First Six Weeks". You can read the other stuff as you need to.

I remember reading this book when I was about 7 months pregnant. I just couldn't BELIEVE all the stuff that was in there and thinking how am I EVER going to learn all this????? But I also remember flipping through it when Sarah was about 6 months old and thinking, "yeah, I know that, I know that, I know that.." and had a hard time finding things I DIDN'T already know. You will pick it all up very quickly!

HTH,

Rachels
01-14-2003, 04:16 PM
Have to second The Baby Book by Sears. It's great. And come here! I've gotten most of my questions answered by this group! Sometimes what you need is just reassurance, and the moms around here dish out plenty of that!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

sweetbasil
01-14-2003, 05:33 PM
Our pediatrician recommended "Caring For Your Baby and Young Child, Birth to Age 5" by Dr. Shelov. It has answered many questions for me, and I've been able to avoid several visits to the the ped. as a result. Best wishes!

mama2be
01-14-2003, 10:47 PM
Oh Sharyn...bless your heart, you're going to do great. I still have 5 weeks to go and have started to panic so I can not even imagine how you feel right now. There are so many emotions...excited, afraid, scared, want it to come, and then yesterday i thought I hope he's late I still have so much to do...

Yikes...are your bags packed????

atlbaby
01-14-2003, 11:22 PM
Another book in addition to the 'WTE the first year' that was given to me as a gift is called 'The First Twelve Months of Life, your baby's growth month by month.' It's written by The Princeton Center for Infancy and Development, and I found it really informative. It explains a bit about the psychology behind their development at month, which I really enjoy learning about.
I kept a few books right by the rocking chair so whenever I was nursing and had a question I would scan the indices of all these books! :)

Good Luck--you'll do great!

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01
PS--Thanks so much to Sarah for helping put Arielle's picture up!!!

spu
01-15-2003, 07:09 PM
I really enjoy the Mayo Clinic Complete Book of Pregnancy and Baby's First Year. I haven't read Dr. Sears' baby book, but I have his nutrition book and I really like the tone. The Mayo Clinic book has a really comforting voice. It doesn't make you feel like at each month, your baby should be doing "x" or else... I

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
charlotte & else

Shirale
01-15-2003, 08:05 PM
Rachel-
Arielle is just adorable, great pic!!! I love that name, that was one of the ones we were thinking of actually!!

atlbaby
01-16-2003, 12:27 AM
Shira,
Thanks so much!
I just saw this now, but I'd written you in the Around the House forum on the Books thread that I love Amira's middle (well, entire!) name Layah and that I've been thinking of using it in the future! I think we live in the same general area, are you in NYC? Maybe we could email sometime...
-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01

mspacman2
01-16-2003, 02:26 AM
The Mayo Clinic book is great for just reading while nursing. I agree it is very reassuring (and the price is right). But it is so HUGE! My other favorite book was Your Baby's First Year by the American Academy of Pediatrics. It crams lots of info into a tiny, compact paperback that you can clutch in one hand while trying to insert a thermometer in a moving target with the other :)

sntm
01-16-2003, 11:40 AM
You used to be able to get the Mayo book free from State Farm Insurance, even if you don't have insurance through there. Check their website.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03

C99
01-16-2003, 11:45 AM
I think you can look up the basic theories of parenting (as translated in sleep options) on Babycenter.com at http://www.babycenter.com/general/parentsleep/baby/3581.html

I'll probably be reading Dr. Sears', Dr. Ferber's and Dr. Ezzo's books myself.

egoldber
01-16-2003, 06:18 PM
Just wanted to point out that Ezzo is not a doctor. :)

http://www.babycenter.com/refcap/8369.html#0

SASM
01-16-2003, 06:58 PM
Thank you, girls, for the great suggestions!!! YEAH...I have been spending a lot of time at the library and Barnes & Noble checking out these books while I wait for the baby!! I am so happy that you are giving me something to do (I never thought that I'd say I MISS WORK) :-)

Sharyn
EDD #1 01.21.03
5 days to go!! - although I think that it will be a lot longer. It looks as though this baby is quite comfortable hanging out in there for a while :-(