PDA

View Full Version : Shannon-- just in case you're on the boards

Rachels
01-14-2003, 09:59 PM
I have a medical question. Abigail has to have an abdominal ultrasound (checking kidneys and gallbladder) tomorrow and an upper GI next week, and for both tests I've been told not to nurse her for 4 hours beforehand. It's going to be grueling. Do you know-- does it really need to be 4 hours? There's a HUGE difference, for example, between 4 hours and three. And I was just wondering what the rationale is to not feed her. If you're on the boards at all and happen to know, I'd love your feedback. Or if anyone else knows...Thanks!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

nigele
01-14-2003, 10:03 PM
Rachel,

How did the visit today go? Thomas had an upper GI (for reflux) and I am pretty sure the hospital told me he couldn't eat for 3 hours before the test. Unfortunately, the test came back negative and we had to go on to a more invasive test which turned out to be positive. I know it will be hard not to nurse Abigail for 4 hours but it might make the test more accurate.

Good luck.

Rachels
01-15-2003, 12:10 PM
The ultrasound went well. Lisa, can you tell me about the upper GI? What's it like? What happens? How traumatic is it for a baby?

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

mama2be
01-15-2003, 01:13 PM
OH Rachel huge relief...I've been thinking aobut you and Abigail!!!
Did they give you a prelim report or are you having to wait for the rad to read them...

Rachels
01-15-2003, 01:22 PM
Thanks, Neve! Well, the whole report will come from the radiologist, but they did tell me they didn't see anything to worry about. They checked her bladder, kidneys, gallbladder, spleen, and liver. That's the kind of news I like!

Abigail was so brave. She's such a good kid. She was not happy about the ultrasound. I think it was scary-- dark room, strange person, cold gel...but she hung in there. In typical fashion, she didn't cry very much, just made some little whimpers that sounded like, "Well, I don't really like this. I'd rather not have an ultrasound right now, please." But then she was pretty rattled and upset afterwards, and spit furiously all the way home in her carseat.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

nigele
01-15-2003, 06:58 PM
Rachel,

I'm so glad the ultrasound went well. The upper GI is really easy - nothing at all to worry about. When Thomas had his, we had to bring a bottle for him so they could give him the barium. I try to give him a bottle with EBM *maybe* twice a month and he is not really interested so I was really nervous about him getting the barium down. I was also really nervous about not being able to feed him for four hours beforehand (I looked at my notes and it was four, not three hours.) Like Abigail, he nurses throughout the night. I didn't know how I would manage but somehow it worked out perfectly - when he woke up that morning I kept him distracted by playing with him, bouncing, etc. At the hospital, they took him in almost immediately, which was a big relief. They filled his bottle with barium (I brought a slow flow nipple and they had to enlarge it since the barium is so thick.) I had to take off all of his clothes except his diaper then lay him on the x-ray table, give him the bottle then we waited for him to drink it. I got to stand right next to him the entire time. He mostly chewed on the nipple, pulled the bottle out of his mouth to smile at the doctor and rolled around. They made the hole in the nipple even bigger which leaked it into his mouth even though he wasn't really sucking. The doctor periodically turned on the x-ray machine and finally announced that we were done. I think it took 15 minutes total but Thomas was happy the entire time - he didn't even mind swallowing the barium. I worried a lot before the test and there was no reason to! We have gone through some scary medical tests but this one was really easy. You have absolutely nothing to worry about. I hope this helps!