PDA

View Full Version : Tammy, I have a strange suggestion for you...

nohomama
01-14-2003, 11:01 PM
Feel free to poo poo this idea... I was musing the other day about what an evokative (sp?) sense smell is and how an odor can immediately bring to mind a particular experience, person, or place. The smell of bread baking...Gramma, the scent of evergreen...Christmas, etc. There's actually quite a bit of literature written on this phenomenon and the reasons for it.

My idea is this...take Evan's pillow case, t-shirts, or whatever and seal them in ziplock bags. After your baby is born, you can put these items near her/him so that s/he can get to know Evan's smell.

I think I recall you mentioning that you were going to record Evan reading children's stories so that you could play them for the baby. This would be another way for the baby to know Evan. Odors DO pass through the placenta so s/he may already be aware of what Evan smells like.

I know this may sound like an odd idea. I just thought I'd mention it. When my partner's father passed away several years ago, we brought home several pieces of his clothing as remembrances. Most of the things Daniel actually wears but one t-shirt got put in a ziplock for some reason. To this day, it smells like his father. I know it makes Daniel happy to know he can "sense" his Dad around. At the very least, I thought you might find it comforting to have Evan "around" until he returns home safely.

jojo2324
01-14-2003, 11:44 PM
I think that's a wonderful idea. Smell is so powerful. Every once in a while I'll sense this certain something and it just brings up memories of my grandmother. I have to resist the urge to sniff around and ask how the smell was acquired! But it makes me smile every time.

etwahl
01-14-2003, 11:57 PM
Thank you both for thinking of me. That's really sweet. I think that's a nice idea. We never did get around to recording DH on tape, but I guess we still have time, since they changed the schedule yet again. He has to be on the ship tomorrow from around 10am-5pm, but then he can leave and not have to be back until Thursday night. So it's a short reprieve, but one I welcome nonetheless.

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

jojo2324
01-15-2003, 11:56 AM
That's wonderful! I'm glad you're getting a little bit of extra time.

gour0
01-15-2003, 02:17 PM
And, the smell was mothballs. Go figure! :)