PDA

View Full Version : Jammies for the hospital, clothes to wear home

JMarie
01-15-2003, 11:09 PM
Okay, I know I'll be wearing the icky hospital gowns while giving birth, but what about when people come to visit? This is the first grandchild on DH's side and his entire family lives nearby, so I'm sure they will all be up to visit. That's fine with me, but I'd like to look my best, if at all possible. The curling iron, back-up make-up, and contacts are packed (those probably will stay packed...), but I don't know what to do about pajamas! I received a few flannel top-and-pants sets for Christmas that I could pack, but I'm afraid that if I wear the pants, I'll be throwing them out within the hour. Should I just pack the top, since I doubt I'll be getting out of bed, and just snag a pair of DH's boxers to ruin (or pick some up at Target?)? Or maybe just bring a comfortable shirt? I know not to bring my favorite comfy socks and to bring undies I won't mind throwing away, but what can I get away with? Also, what do you bring to wear home? I have these jeans that I loved up until about two weeks ago that I could pack, but will I (in all likelihood) be able to wear them then if I can't wear them now (Aidan is just too low - he pushes the band down and cuts off circulation to my legs)? Will I really care? Right now I just want to finish packing my bag so DH will stop bugging me about it. You'd think I was due this month, not next! TIA!

JMarie
EDD 2/23/03
Aidan Christopher

ddmarsh
01-15-2003, 11:20 PM
For the hospital I would probably just get a nice robe. Honestly I don't think I've ever bothered to put on my own jammies while there, I just covered up the hospital gown with a nice robe when people dropped by.

For coming home I've always bought a new, really comfortable outfit. A casual outfit like cotton drawstring pants (more than sweatpants but not dressy if you KWIM) and a matching top/sweatshirt. You really want to feel comfortable and cotton and an elastic waist usually go a long way to achieving that goal :).

Good luck -
Debbie

mamahill
01-16-2003, 03:03 AM
I just wore the hospital gown because it unsnapped at the shoulders and made bfing a lot easier. I took socks, but just wore the hospital mesh undies. I know a lot of people hate them, but I actually liked them (for the purpose they serve, not so much for everyday wear!). I wore home a maternity outfit. The pants were stretch cords, so I knew they'd be ok. You are definitely not as big as when you go in, but it's amazing what your bones do. You could always back the jeans and then another pair of pants, just in case (if you REALLY want to wear the jeans). I don't think you'll really care IN the hospital. I got dressed to come home and then changed right back into a nightgown once I got home. I say back a comfy shirt and then you'll have it in case you want, but you don't HAVE to wear it (but don't pack pants to wear IN the hospital because they'll just be too much hassle).

bnme
01-16-2003, 09:37 AM
I agree, the hospital gown is pretty convienient and comfy, especially if BF. I had brought a robe, but it was fleece and I found the hospital way too warm to be wearing it.

You will probably be getting up, unless you feel uncomfortable doing so. I had a C-section and was up by day two (actually the evening of day 1). They want you to walk around so I did that with visitors. (May be difft for a vag. delivery)

My problem was I had brought only pjs with pants and could not wear comfortably with incision and abdominal pain. My Mom ran out to get me night shirts that buttoned up and the were perfect -just make sure they are long enough that you are comfortable if you go this way (I am short so everything is plenty long on me). I'd bring a few alternatives, you never know what your gona want.

For going home I'd suggest something with a comfy waistband-And even if it doesnt fit you now thats probably OK --you'd be surprised how much your tummy goes down (mine went down drastically, but some how I only lost 10 of 30+ pounds)

Goodluck!

cara1
01-16-2003, 10:08 AM
Ditch the curling iron. I wore flannel pj's with button down front for easy boob access. The only thing that got stained was my underwear, and they washed out well. Comfy slipper socks were nice and cozy and easy to shuffle around in since I couldn't lift up my legs very well. I went home in maternity pants and a sweatshirt (the same thing I wore on the way in, actually). I was like you, wanting to look my best (I even packed earrings), but believe me, that will be furthest from your mind when you are actually there!!!

Momof3Labs
01-16-2003, 11:21 AM
Yeah, I packed the make-up but certainly didn't feel like bothering!

I brought some maternity overalls to wear home (they fit me through about my fifth month) and couldn't fit in them, so I had to wear what I wore to the hospital. Perhaps it was the 5-6 bags of fluids that they pumped into me!

I also brought my own PJs but didn't use them much - Colin spit up on them pretty early on. If you bring slippers, stick to slip-on styles; you won't be bending over to pull on slippers.

Looking my best really went out the window, because no matter what I did (hair, make-up, clothes), I was still all swollen from those fluids and super-tired from being in the hospital. And looking my best required energy that I simply did not have!

Lori & Colin 9/28/02

loewymartin
01-16-2003, 12:33 PM
I'm just like you - I wanted to be packed and ready!

I brought my bathrobe (dark color so if I bled through it wouldn't really show) and used that all the time. I would take it off once I got back into bed, but wore it over the nursing gowns while walking around. I brought a few pairs of socks too and slippers. I had Alia at 5am, and didn't get into my room until around 3pm, so I wanted a shower very badly! I brought my makeup, curling iron etc. and did use the curling iron, but for the day I went home. I feel awake once I have a shower, so for me, getting back into routine helped, which for me includes mascara and blush :-)

Pack a comfortable outfit for coming home. I packed a pair of pants I wore around months 4-6 and a long button down maternity shirt. If you are breastfeeding, don't forget your nursing bra for going home. Actually, I started wearing a bra the second day as my breasts were to heavy to go without one! Also, wear the hospital underwear until you go home. You'll be amazed at how much you'll "leak" over the first few days and you won't want to wear your own stuff.

Good luck with your delivery!

Michelle - Mom to Alia Jailin born 5/16/02

abigailsmom
01-16-2003, 01:59 PM
I had d c-section and I can second the no pants thing... I didn't want anything touching my stomach. I bought button-up gowns and I went home in a maternity dress that had the ties (to tighten around the middle). I wore that for comfort not looks:). My best friend just had her child (vaginal) and said she was glad she didn't have any kind of pants b/c of the swelling, she liked the idea of a dress also. JMHO & HTH!

mama2be
01-16-2003, 03:38 PM
...right when I get my clothes all packed, comfy comfy, comfy, they did yet another segment last night on Sarah Jessica Parker the day she left the hospital...

Wouldn't you know girlfriend is in high heels, skirt, scarf etc...

Anyway just joking (well actually not she was dressed tht way...)...I'm tempted to come home from the birthing center in my PJs...but that will be within 12 hours of delivering so I just might do it...IF the car breaks down that will be the least of my worries :)...with my luck all of the neighbors will be out to greet us upon arrival and I'll be in PJs!!!

atlbaby
01-16-2003, 05:33 PM
I had this pretty maternity/nursing nightgown and robe (I think from Motherhood) that I wore when my parents&inlaws came--for pics/video--and I just had the 'undies' (if you can call them that! LOL) the hospital gave me on underneith. To go home I brought my favorite comfy pre-preg old navy sweats--not with elastic cuffs so they felt a *little* more for outdoors :)
But you know despite the fact that I had a bag full of things to keep myself occupied w/ during labor (cds, magazines, journal etc) I was so uncomfortable through it all (6am-11:26pm!!) I touched nothing...but I would probably pack it all again 'just in case' :)
Rumor has it the an important game in the world series was on that night, though I have no idea--DH watched it though, grrr!
-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01

MartiesMom2B
01-17-2003, 01:55 PM
Yeah, I saw that segment on Sarah Jessica Parker too. Yeah Right!

I was almost in tears when I saw Catherine Zeta Jones on tv and she's due in April too and she didn't even look pregnant. How frusterating.

Oh well I say go home in your PJs. My view is comfort is top priority.

Sonia
EDD 4/14/03

newbelly2002
01-17-2003, 04:37 PM
I'll second the dress thing for going home. I delivered vaginally and even the THOUGHT of pants/shorts sent (and still sends!) chills up my spine. I had a maternity jumper with ties that worked well.

As for jammies, I spent forever looking and finally found a nice nightie days before I delievred. Woudln't you know I never put the $#^n thing on?! I stayed in the hospital jammies and occasionally used my own robe. But then I didn't use make-up, curlers or even a blow dryer on my hair. Perhaps another good reason not to allow visitors :)

Good luck!
Paula

Melanie
01-17-2003, 09:56 PM
I was so tired (long labor) that I didn't even think to put on my nursing gown. I just wore theirs until I left in stretch maternity pants and a large button-down shirt. I wasn't planning on a hospital birth, so I was packed all wrong! Nothing for an overnight stay at all. Things that I used or missed and had to send someone to get were: shampoo (would you believe they didn't have ANY?), toothbrush/toothpaste, hair pick, hair band/scrunchie to get hair out of my face quickly, comfy slippers (you really don't want to walk barefoot in a hospital!), nursing bra and pads, extra long/big maxi pads (that did not even cross my mind, I had to go shopping for them after a few days when the ones from the hospital ran out), nice big dark robe, and warm socks.

Mommy to Jonah

beckyr88
01-18-2003, 02:18 AM
I just wanted to add that I received the MOST comfortable pjs--those Karen Neuberger ones that were one of Oprah's "Favorites". They were a gift, so I don't know how expensive they are, but if at all possible, I would recommend these. I think they come in button down tops (I have a T-style).

I plan to get another pair, I love them so much (DH gets mad because I put them on as soon as I come home from work--can't help it!).

Hope it helps!
Becky
EDD 2/23/03

CherylT
01-18-2003, 06:18 PM
Ooh - I had a pair of these too. Mine shrunk terribly however. They were so soft and comfy at first and I was so disappointed that they didn't seem to be made to last even one winter season. I guess you could hang dry them, but I wouldn't think they'd be very soft that way (and what a pain!).

Cheryl (aka CT)
SAHM to Lilli 9/20/00 & Alec 10/21/02

egoldber
01-18-2003, 10:29 PM
I also packed a dress to go home in and I was very happy with that choice. Also, I just wore hospital jammies and was perfectly happy with that.

HTH,

JMarie
01-18-2003, 10:44 PM
I'm noticing quite a few suggestions for packing a dress to go home. I don't have dresses, but I do have a couple skirts (knee-length). My only concern is that it's February and in Chicago, so that would also mean packing my knee-high boots. However, I was just at Target picking up last minute items, and now they have Liz Lange maternity and this really cute ponte knit dress (it's also in the newest Fit Pregnancy magazine) - I just might pick it up. Now, another question - did most of you have DH stay with you, or did he go home to sleep? Thanks for all the advice - I actually had to pack at 1:30 Thursday morning because I was having contractions! They stopped and no Aidan yet, but he is apparently anxious... They sent me home and now I'm just trying to avoid bedrest - one more episode and I'm in bed! Thanks!

JMarie
EDD 2/23/03
Aidan Christopher

Melanie
01-20-2003, 06:43 PM
I made him stay on a tiny couch and he was soo uncomfortable! They had a nice long one in the delivery room, but not in the one we stayed in! Oh well, I can NOT complain b/c it was a private room.

I'm glad he stayed, we were both so exhausted, but starting somewhere in the wee hours Ds was up crying for hours (duh-he was hungry! I had no clue what I was doing!).

Mommy to Jonah

C99
01-20-2003, 07:21 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking that there's no WAY I'm going home from the hospital in a dress in March in Chicago. The hospital I'm delivering at is less than a block from the lake and it is damn cold with the wind. Yoga pants seem a lot more comfortable than tights + dress. I have the ponte knit Liz Lange-for-Target jumper, btw, and it's really cute and comfortable but it was badly designed -- it's got a back zipper that no pregnant woman can get to. My husband has to help me in and out of it every time I wear it.

Caroline

parkersmama
01-21-2003, 10:39 AM
My dh has stayed at the hospital with me and the baby both times. The first time I had a c-section and it was days of being there but it really helped. He was a lot more caring than the post-partum nurses! I didn't really find them (after either birth) very comforting or helpful.

I've worn a dress home and a pair of pants with a shirt home and both seemed to work fine. As long as you can tolerate the elastic around your waist, someone else should be able to help you get the pants on if you're having trouble bending over.

As far as those underwear from the hospital, I found them extraordinarily uncomfortable! They bind and cut into you in all the wrong places. I wore them for the first few hours and then changed into my own panties and used their pads. I didn't have any problems with bleeding/staining but I know that some people do. I'd at least take your own underwear in case you're not having heavy bleeding and would feel more comfortable in your own. That way you're prepared either way!

I agree with whoever said that all that "labor stuff" was a waste. It was hard to lug around and we used almost none of it. Oh, yeah! Don't forget that dh will need to pack a little bag of his own if he'll be staying over night. If he wears contacts, be sure he packs the stuff for them and his glasses. It's hard to wear contacts through a long, hard night of laboring! Also, a few small snacks for him wouldn't be a bad idea so that he doesn't have to leave the room for too long to search out food.

Good luck!

Denise
mom to:
Parker, 9/1/1997
Wesley, 3/9/2000
and #3 (a girl!) due 4/29/2003

Magda
01-21-2003, 08:41 PM
Our hosital wouldn't allow DH to stay overnight once Connor was born, much to my dismay. It was very scary that first night by myself. He wassupposed to be gone by 9:00 pm.

bnme
01-22-2003, 09:59 AM
My DH didn't stay over-night. He left between 9 and 10. Part of me wished he had becuase it was a bit scary to be alone, plus difficult for me to move around, get out of bed to pick up baby, etc because of my c/s.

In the end I think it was better that he was home getting a better-night sleep. My hospital discouraged DHs from staying and there was only a slightly cushioned rocker that he could sleep in. Not too comfy! If you are sending baby to nursery I would have DH go home - you won't be alone with baby that much to warrant his being there. But if baby is rooming in I think it would be tough w/o DH there to help

JMTCW

August Mom
01-24-2003, 05:12 PM
I took a long night shirt that buttoned at the top for easy nursing. However, I never wore it. I wore nursing gowns supplied by the hospital. Between my bleeding and my son's spit up, I sometimes needed more than one per day. I did use my slippers whenever I got out of bed. Also, I used my makeup and curling iron on the day we left the hospital for the going home pictures and video. I took a pair of knit pants with matching maternity top and my favorite maternity dress with me. I wore the dress home and was very comfortable. Also, I wore the hospital's mesh underwear home and throughout the first week or so when there was still a lot of bleeding. Good luck.