PDA

View Full Version : Tricks of the Trade!

spu
01-17-2003, 07:07 PM
I thought it might be fun to post our favorite "tricks of the trade" - or any short-cuts, tips, tricks, or other creative or sanity-saving ideas... Sometimes all the books in the world out there don't help when it comes down to reality! :)

So grab a cup o'coffee, or a martini! and let's have some fun.

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
charlotte & else

mamahill
01-17-2003, 07:23 PM
The only trick I have is that I bought cheap ribbon from Michael's and tied tiny bows (about half an inch across) in several colors (white, cream, pink, purple, blue...). We use KY Jelly and stick them on Ainsleigh's head whenever we go out. Since doing that, NOBODY has commented on how cute our son is (even when she's wearing pink, come on!). Oh, and the KY is clear and water-soluable so the bow comes right off in her bath. You wouldn't believe how many times I hear, "Look at that bow!" She has bows to match everything, and white always works!

brubeck
01-18-2003, 12:05 PM
My biggest trick is learning how to BF while sitting in the desk chair with a pillow across my lap, thus allowing me to use the computer at the same time. Guess what I'm doing right now? :-)

Another 'trick': I still use a bath sling for my 2 year old! She lies down on it and it is soooo much easier to wash her hair and her bottom that way!

If I think of any more I'll post again.

KathyO
01-18-2003, 09:20 PM
This is a great idea for a thread, but I am mentally utterly bankrupt at the moment! Give me some time, I'll remember something...!

Cheers,

KathyO

COElizabeth
01-18-2003, 11:01 PM
Great idea, but a lot of my "tricks" are from all of you! Here is one I came up with to help me organize photos, however. Every week (though we may go to monthly soon), I take a couple of photos of James with a sign in the picture that says something like "James, December 20, 13 weeks." That way, when I get my photos developed (and I always go to some place that puts the negative number on the back of the print), I can know when the photos were taken. This is a huge help if I don't get around to putting them into an album (or even getting them developed!) for a few weeks or months! I include the photos with signs in my album, but if you don't like the looks of them, you can just use them as "markers" and still be able to know the time of your other photos within whatever interval you choose. I also keep a calendar in DS's room and mark down important dates like "meeting great-grandparents" so when I get those photos back I can go back and check the calendar to put the correct date in the album. I am admittedly pretty obsessive about dating photos right now, but I think the signs would be helpful even if you just put a sign in one photo per roll. I once spent an entire drive across several states in an RV with my aunt putting several years' worth of photos of 3 children in albums (neither of us was driving!), and this would have been very helpful to avoid having to ask, "which baby is that?"

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

nigele
01-19-2003, 01:06 PM
Elizabeth,

That is a really neat idea! We have a digital camera which has been a godsend with a baby. We are able to take 3 or 4 shots of each "pose" so we are assured that DS is smiling in at least one shot! We have our photos printed online and have the date and a caption printed on the back, which is great for staying organized.

megsmom
01-21-2003, 02:42 PM
I was having a devil of a time keeping Meg's mittens on (when it's a high of 6 in MN you need your mittens!). I put her mittens on first and then her coat and that way she couldn't sqirm out of them. Of course, it was my mom who suggested it, but it worked!

Jen
mom to Meghan 7/13/01

cara1
01-21-2003, 05:00 PM
I use those mesh lingerie bags for DS's socks so I don't lose those tiny little socks in the laundry.

atlbaby
01-21-2003, 11:39 PM
I bet given that you live in MN--are you serious about a high of 6?? I'm freezing here in NJ!!!--you know a lot more about outerwear, but I got Arielle Land's End mittens/hat/bunting, and the mittens are fabulous! They are extra long--I thought they were the wrong size when I opened them, they are so long--and the part by the wrist is snug so they can't be yanked off. Plus, they are easy to get on.

Now Arielle doesn't hate her mittens like she hates her hat, but I would think even for a mittens-hating child the Land's End ones would be great!

Hope this is a bit helpful--even for next year!
-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01

jojo2324
01-22-2003, 12:46 AM
This is the only trick I've stumbled upon:

Open baby mouth. Insert breast. Quiet (and sleep) will possibly follow.

That's it. I can do a lot with one hand while I BF though...Eat, pump, read a magazine, sign for a package, pour myself a drink, sometimes a few of those at one time. It's amazing...In the beginning I could barely lift my arms to hold him. :D

Annette_C
01-22-2003, 11:49 PM
One trick (if you can call it that) that works for me and Sabrina is that when she gets really tired and cranky but will fight falling asleep (especially in the crib) is that I sit her in her highchair (I have the BabyTrend), tray removed, back reclined, strapped in, and I rock her back and forth (the chair has casters)while singing to her.
That trick always works in putting her to sleep and the best part is that she takes even longer naps in the chair that she would normally take in the crib.
Annette
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02

nigele
01-26-2003, 02:14 PM
I thought of two things I do to make my life easier:

I have a loose-leaf notebook packed with clear sheet protectors. I put all of my baby product instruction manuals, warranties, etc. in this notebook. That way, I can quickly find what I'm looking for.

Thomas loves to bash on the keyboard when I sit him on my lap to read the boards. DH took an old keyboard and put it in front of the real one on our desk so Thomas can bash away without deleting what I have just typed. This works great!

mama2be
01-26-2003, 04:34 PM
Great idea to start it...great ideas within it...

blnony
01-27-2003, 11:53 AM
The only "trick" I have is deodorizing the diaper champ. We use lysol spray but I also put a few tablespoons of baking soda in the bottom of the champ and a few Tblsp. in the bag. It has made a huge difference with the smell. Our champ didn't really smell up the nursery, but it had a strong odor when the lid was opened to change the bag. I only have to put the baking soda in the bottom about once every two or three weeks not everytime I change the bag.

LD92599
02-07-2003, 10:11 PM
Lisa:

I loved your idea of putting directions & manuals in the plastic sleeves and binder..I went and bought a binder (already had the sleeves!)..proceeded to locate all of the manuals for the equipment we've already received..i went a step further and stapled/taped the receipts to the manuals as well.

I would certainly recommend this for anyone and appreciate you posting your suggestion.

Laura
19 Days left! Yikes!
Due: Feb 26th, 2003