PDA

View Full Version : What's the best way to introduce a

Annette_C
01-17-2003, 10:47 PM
I would like to introduce a lovie to Sabrina. She's been sleeping better now but when she loses her pacifier during the night, she starts whining for it. I'd like to replace the attachment to the pacifier with a lovie.
I would really appreciate some advice on how to go about it from mothers who have gone through the process.
Beth, I know you've suggested a lovie in your replies about sleeping issues, would you mind giving me some tips on how you did it? Do I need to place the object close to her during the day as well as night? How long does it usually take before the baby shows interest in the object? I ask because Sabrina has many toys and stuffed animals but hasn't shown any special attachment to one of them in particular.
TIA!
Annette
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02

gour0
01-17-2003, 10:58 PM
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dcforum/DCForumID5/693.html

they just talked about this! here's the link.

Here's the 'lovie' my friends son has.

http://www.slumbersounds.com/baby-doll.htm

The Ookie - Baby's First Doll from Baby Emporio

Item #:00001

Part Doll - Part Security Blanket. Recommended for infant to 2 years. Approximate size is 14"H X 16"W. Made of the softest 100% flannel material and trimmed with silky satin poly. Machine wash and dry in gentle cycle.

Meet Ookie - the Dutch name for Little One. Europeans often place an Ookie in baby's crib after birth, creating a quick bond between child and this elflike doll. Ookie will soon become one of baby's favorite fantasy friends. The knotted hands are easy for baby to grip. Embroidered Ookie name on every doll.

A unique doll with old-world charm that will be a treasured gift.

Compare At: $14.99, Our Price: $11.99
Shipping Weight: 1 lbs

Yellow (YEL)
Buy Item Blue (BLU)
Buy Item Pink (PNK)
Buy Item Mint (MNT)
Buy Item

This is the best price I've seen. At www.babycatalog.com

egoldber
01-18-2003, 12:08 AM
Unfortunately, I didn't do it deliberately, it happened. We were given a toy as a gift and I put it in her crib, thinking it looked cute. (Contrary to all SIDS advice I know, sorry, mea culpa...) One day I walked in on her sleeping and she was curled up with it, sucking her thumb while she slept. I thought that was cute too, so I encouraged it, only later realizing the lovie benefits.

If you want to deliberately encourage a lovie, I would recommend it to be:

1) cheap
2) small
3) washable
4) easily replaceable
5) buy LOTS of them
6) have them everywhere (I have one in the nursery, on our main living space and in the car).

If I were you, I'd audition some candidates for Sabrina, see if there's any she seems drawn to for some reason, and then encourage it by leaving it with her at all times. Some things that babies seem drawn to are: silky/satiny toys, fleece toys, toys with tags.

I have three lovies, but there is definitely a hierarchy with Sarah. One is CLEARLY her favorite. Another one is pretty good and the third one is definitely third tier. They look basically identical, but the third one (that I bought several months after the first two) definitely FEELS different, like the fleece used by the manufacturer was a different lot or something, and she can ABSOLUTELY tell the difference. Hers are rather large and I have tried to substitute several smaller, similar lovies over the months with no success.

HTH,

newbelly2002
01-18-2003, 06:07 AM
I have a small square of a blanket trimmed with satin with a small soft bearhead in the middle. I too thought it looked sweet in the crib and it had velcro tabs to atttach it to the crib rails. Same as Beth, one day I came in and found part of it in Dante's hand while he slept. The next day he had pulled it loose from the rail and had it tucked beneath his arm.

My sister had a piece of rabbit fur (which upsets her now to no end because she later had rabbits as pets) tucked beneath her nose throughout most of her childhood. She didn't know it but my parents had bought a large piece and just replaced hers when it got too ratty. I'm not recommending fur, but do be sure to have something replaceable as Beth suggested.

Good luck!
Paula

Rachels
01-18-2003, 11:45 AM
Abigail fell in love with her receiving blankets, which I'd been scooping up with her anytime we sat down to rock or nurse or snuggle. I think that if you hold something soft close to you both during your quiet, snuggly times, she'll start to make the association.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

sweetbasil
01-18-2003, 11:40 PM
My grandma bought a "Taggie" for DS, and I made one for my best friend's new baby soon after. She has made three duplicates, so her little girl has one in the car, at great-grandma's house, in the bed, and the playroom. They're great for tactile stimulation, and it's so fun to watch babies select a particular ribbon to be their favorite....http://www.taggies.com/
HTH!

Annette_C
01-18-2003, 11:50 PM
Thanks, ladies, for all your helpful replies.
Sorry I didn't realize the topic had been recently discussed in another forum. Thank you for the link Stacey!
Sabrina had received one of those half-blanket, half-teddybear (like Paula described) as a gift. After reading your replies, I decided to incourage an attachment to that blankey.
I had it around Sabrina at different occasions today and, tonight, I placed it in her crib. I hope it works!
If it does, I'm going straight to JC Penneys to get 3 more! :)
Thanks again,

Annette
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02

Edited to say: Julie, your reply came as I was posting mine. Thanks for the link, it looks like something Sabrina would like (she LOVES tags!). If she doesn't take to the blankey, I'm going to order a Taggie!

Rachels
01-19-2003, 11:35 AM
LOL! Abigail loves tags, too. Wonder what's with that?

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02