PDA

View Full Version : Questions for the Pediatrician - first time parents

flagger
01-20-2003, 12:29 AM
This may have been covered before, but I missed it in the search.

We are going to interview our first pediatrician tomorrow afternoon at 1600. This is an MD that our OB suggested first going to see as many of his patients have been pleased with him. It is possible they had been colleagues as they are both from Massachusetts.

Anyway, we have received several suggestions for questions to ask, but I thought I would ask new friends.

What are some questions to ask during the pedi interview? What did you wish you had asked beforehand? What answers would make you run, not walk, far away from?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give us.

Flagger

SAHD to Cocoa Lafleur
EDD 05-23-03

For privacy reasons, we are not using our daughter's real name online

Rachels
01-20-2003, 09:17 AM
Here's a link to a good thread on this topic. HTH!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dcforum/DCForumID30/354.html

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

flagger
01-20-2003, 10:06 AM
Thank you Rachel. I am thinking of compiling all of the questions from that thread with ones others have suggested into one long form.

Thanks again.

flagger
01-20-2003, 04:10 PM
Here is a list of questions compiled from that other thread and from other sources I received. Just if anyone is interested in reading:

What are your normal office hours?
Which hospitals do the pediatricians in the group use?
Does he take your insurance?
When I am scheduling routine appointments, how far in advance do I need to call to schedule?
Ask if your pediatrician makes house calls?
Will you be available to come to the hospital after delivery?
Does the practice perform lab work, such as X-rays, in-office?
What about procedures like suturing?

ON-CALL COVERAGE

Ask about the doctor's call coverage.
Are you satisfied with your answering service?
Who takes your call if you're not available? (A Doctor to answer questions 24/7?)
Does the pediatrician just see patients on weekdays, letting an emergency room take weekend call coverage?
Does the practice offer a "mom line" -- a baby-question hotline staffed by nurses and available throughout the week?

FEEDING

What's your recommendation on feeding - in other words, does he say you should only feed milk/formula for the first 6 months?
Ask your pediatrician how he/she feels towards breastfeeding?
Ask the pediatrician how he/she feels on letting a baby "cry it out" at night, once they're more than a few months old?
Ask your pediatrician about feeding schedules?

ANSWERING QUESTIONS

Can you discuss anything with the doctor, and be certain your
concerns won't be considered frivolous? (orange poop notwithstanding)

NOTES FOR YOU TO TAKE

Is the physician board certified?
Affiliated with the American Academy of Pediatrics?
What is the doctor's manner in interacting with you and your child?
Does the physician seem to have a natural affection for children?
Speak in language children can easily understand?
Take note of the office and its staff: Do receptionists, clerks and nurses seem friendly and caring?
Also get a general idea of how large their practice is?
How difficult is it to get to the office (i.e., parking - will you spend 45 minutes driving around the parking garage to get a spot to park at $3.50 an hour)? Think also about schlepping strollers and/or baby carriers.
Find out the pediatrician's attitude towards working mothers.
================================================== ===========

That's about it. I am sure there are others, but I felt like compiling before I head off to the office. Thanks again for the link.

flagger
01-22-2003, 10:53 AM
I just wanted to let any one reading and those who provided the questions that we found our Pedi on Monday. He spent an hour with us and didn't flinch as I grilled him with the worst case scenario types of questions. Everything that came out of his mouth (and the way he was with the new mother prior to our appointment) were right in line with our philosophy.

There are some things he would acquiesce with as far as parenting, but wouldn't budge on the car seat issue. (Like we wouldn't use one, as if!!! I guess some of his prior clientelle wouldn't though)

I called the hospital he was affiliated with in Mass and they told me to tell him they are begging for him to come back.

Thanks again for all the help.