PDA

View Full Version : Are there other SAHD - Stay at Home Dads here?

flagger
01-21-2003, 04:52 PM
Our situation is totally reversed. We have been traveling the country as her job moves her from project to project. Since 1999, we have moved from Houston-Denver-Houston-Massacushetts-Oklahoma to now near Charlotte, NC. Her compensation and per diem for her being on a temp assignment is such that I haven't worked since we left Mass.

It is difficult to explain to employers why you only worked 6 months here, three months there, etc. So with that, we ended up after several years of no success, suddenly becoming pregnant.

Her plan is to go back to work as the breadwinner 6-8 weeks after the baby is due (not before driving to Texas to show off the baby to our folks) and I will be it.

There are a couple in my neighborhood but I wonder if there are any SAHD on this board or are there other message boards for SAHD and talking about their unique situation? Google is not much help.

Personally I cannot wait for our new bundle of joy. She will be our only child as we are both close to our cut off year for wanting to start having kids. I had older parents and I always wanted to be young enough to enjoy my child. I know nothing every prepares you what is to come but I feel our relationship is stronger than it is has ever been. For those of faith, I feel we truly were not ready all those years we were trying and finally the man upstairs said okay.

If you are lurking you other SAHDs, I would like to hear from you. Either here or through email at flagger /at/ dslr.net.

SAHM are of course welcome to comment too. :D

egoldber
01-21-2003, 06:38 PM
I know that both the ParentsPlace and Mothering message boards have "dad" areas.

I would also go to local parks and try to happen upon other dads. Other places where I would go to find mommies are: classes during the day for parent and baby (like Gymboree, infant swim classes, signing with your baby, etc.), local library reading story time, also Borders and Barnes&Noble often have well attended reading times.

HTH,

Momof3Labs
01-21-2003, 09:29 PM
My DH is a SAHD while I work, and I am a SAHM while he works. :-) He is a fireman and is on 24 hrs, off 48 hrs, so we are alternating our schedules so that, for now, one of us is always home with Colin. His support network? Other firemen (several on his shift stay with the kids on their days off) and our next door neighbor, a police sargeant who stays with the kids during the day while his wife works, then he pulls the night shift 3 days a week.

Not sure that this helped, but you are definitely not alone!

Lori & Colin 9/28/02

JMarie
01-21-2003, 10:08 PM
DH and I are in the same boat as Lori and her husband, to an extent. I work 7-3 and Steve works 4-12 so that we won't have to go the day care route. He is very excited about being a dad and being able to really participate in the care of his son. He and his father have such a phenomenal relationship, so I think that's what he wants to pass on to our son - he's already talking about coaching little league! I don't think I could be a SAHM, even though that is what I always envisioned I would be (my mother was a SAHM, one of the last of her generation). Steve, on the other had, would be a wonderful SAHD! I think our 'split schedule' will be best for our son. Good luck with your little one!

JMarie
EDD 2/23/03
Aidan Christopher

Rachels
01-21-2003, 10:58 PM
I agree-- check www.mothering.com/discussions. It's a great resource.

How do you like Charlotte? I live in MA now, but grew up in Charlotte.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Annette_C
01-22-2003, 12:22 AM
Welcome aboard!
I'm a SAHM but DH is very involved with our DD. He's lucky enough that can work from home (for a few hours a day anyway) and, therefore, takes advantage of it. DH and DD have developed a great relationship and it works great for me for two reasons: one, I'm happy he gets to enjoy his one and only child (we're no spring chickens); two, it gives me a break! :)
I can only think of another dad here on the board that posts regularly, Juliasdad.
I know I speak for the rest of the crew here when I say that we'll be happy to help out with answers and such whenever we can. :)
This is a great board for support, advice and friendship!

Annette
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02

flagger
01-22-2003, 07:53 AM
We love Charlotte. No snowblowers running at 4AM! Growing up in Houston, the humidity here last summer was not as bad and didn't last as long Houston's.

Also the traffic is a breeze compared to Houston. It is nice that Ms. Flagger is 15 minutes from her office though. This is the longest we have stayed in once place since we started these temp moves.

newbelly2002
01-22-2003, 11:06 AM
Like others here have already said--welcome!

I'm a writer, working out of the home for 4 hours a day. My DH is a researcher/student who also does freelance for the other portion of the working day. We are incredibly lucky in this arrangement as we are both home "full time" and equally sharing (well, except for the breastfeeding. That one's all me!)the raising of our son, while salvaging our careers. It's hard to be disciplined, but we're trying to make it happen. DH asks often if there are men on this board--perhaps he will make an appearance now and again.

Till then, good luck with the waiting!

Paula
Mom to Dante 8/1/02

Rachels
01-24-2003, 11:54 PM
Chuck, just saw that you're on MDC also! If you haven't already, check the Dads forum. There's a new SAHD thread.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

newbelly2002
01-25-2003, 03:38 AM
MDC?

Goodness, I thought I had all these abbreviations down. . .
Paula

Rachels
01-25-2003, 11:19 AM
LOL! :) MDC is Mothering Dot Commune-- the message boards at www.mothering.com/discussions .

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

newbelly2002
01-25-2003, 11:46 AM
Whew--I looked it up on Google out of curiousity and pulled up "Men's Divorce Centre." I was getting a little nervous. Thanks for putting me at ease!

Paula