PDA

View Full Version : Found the PERFECT Pediatrician in RALEIGH : DR NECHYBA

mama2be
01-22-2003, 02:27 PM
Last night I went to an open house to "interview" a ped here in Raleigh who came higly recommended from a DR's wife here in the area. Lisa from these boards (user name nigele...I think) and her hubby also attended. Lisa, having baby Thomas, was looking for a new ped, also walked away from this liking this guy a lot.

I never would have known what to ask if it were not for you all..but was awakened by many things that I never would have asked but was thrilled to hear...here are a few (and this should proably go under Flagger's post about questions to ask as well)...

This practice encourages you to come to them and does not punt you to the ER, infact since they are across from the hospital they'll hep lock etc...there and send you over to be admitted if needed.

They have Saturday and SUNDAY hours!!!!

There is no phone tree...you get a live person when you call

If you've been up all night with the child they have "walk in" appts first thing in the morning 8:30-9:30 you don't even need to call...you just show up in the lobby...

Their office does not close at 5:00- or 5:30 they stay until the last sick child is seen...

There is no typical "answering service" in the evening, when you call you get a nurse!!! she is not a gate keeper if you want the doctor she pages him/her directly.

They go to both Rex and Wake Med...our two largest hospital in Raleigh.

There is a new trend where Doctors are charging to return calls after hours...they do not do that!!!

They give you a rather large medical reference book too

I just thought he was super dooper...I asked him a quetion about the Amby Hammock and he is actually researching it on line and going to get back with me to see if it is a product worth purchasing.

He was the Chief Resident at John's Hopkins...

I am just thrilled...and wanted to post those extra things to think about for folks...:)

Their number is 881-9009 and known under the practice of "carolina peds"... editied to add...OOOPS I think they are known under "Carolina Kids"

MartiesMom2B
01-22-2003, 07:20 PM
Neve:

Where is his office located? I am starting to look for Peds. My DH went to school with a local Pediatrician, but I feel its in our own best interest to shop around and compare.

Thank you so much for posting this. I was about to send out a post about Raleigh area pediatricians!!

Sonia
EDD 4/14/03

mama2be
01-22-2003, 08:23 PM
Sonia,

He is right across from Rex hospital on Blue Ridge in building 2605 (on the second floor)...there are two buildings that look identical there, he is the one closer to the fairground (more south)...

He has only been in Raleigh for about 7 months, but the practice is established. He was as I think I stated the Chief Peds resident at Johns's Hopkins. I missed his first 15 minutes of introduction but my friend told me that so hope that part is accurate.

Lisa might also beable to give you some insight on him, being a mommy she knew more what to look out for than I did...but I know at the end of the evening she was also thrilled and really excited about him. Before the meeting she advised me to interview several folks...after the meeting she said, "your search is over...you don't need to look further"...so I was thrilled with that!!!!

Edited to add...he said the only main insurance that he could think of that they do not take is Cigna...but of course make sure before hand...

Keep me posted on what you think...I hope in one month or so I can give you more first hand knowledge of him...but I swear I would bet my last penny that he won't dissappoint me...

HTH...I don't know how oftent hey do these open houses...but I'd try to hold out for one of his since you ahve alittle bit of time...I assume that they rotate duties of leading these...

blnony
01-22-2003, 09:21 PM
Not to add any confusion or disinterest, but we use Cornerstone Pediatrics in Cary and have been very happy. We mainly use Dr. Wilson, but have seen others esp. when DD was hospitalized with jaundice at Rex. They also have a wonderful lactation consultant who was very helpful. I'm sure the other ped. mentioned here is great, I am just trying to give other choices in the area.
We have BC/BS and haven't had any problems with insurance.

MartiesMom2B
01-23-2003, 08:59 AM
Thanks for all the recommendations. I definitely will check everyone out. I live in N. Raleigh though, and Cary might not be the most convenient place to go for a Pediatrician, but it's nice to know that there are good Peds in the area.

I hope everyone in the area stays safe and warm. What's up with all this snowy weather lately? I didn't move from the D.C. area to be in snow! ;) (Acutally I like snow, I just don't like the way people can't drive in the snow)

Sonia
EDD 4/14/03

mama2be
01-23-2003, 12:06 PM
Sonia,

I know it cripples this town...my midwives just called and actually canceled my appt for 7:30 tonight...I was like WHY?????? So what we got alittle bit of snow. She said she can't get out of her driveway, I personally think in her line of work she needs a new vehicle then. I mean it is a samll practice that actually births babies...not just a clinic to see folks...

I too moved from DC..alexandria Va, and had lived in Annapolis awhile. My parents live in Mount Vernon...

MartiesMom2B
01-23-2003, 02:28 PM
Neve:

God forbid you go into labor if it snows or sleets. You may end up having a home birth with your husband as your midwife!

I grew up in Olney, MD and moved to Fairfax after college where I dated my DH. He hated the DC area so much so we moved down here (he went to State). I do like here, I just think it's funny that this area is so totally unprepared for this weather!

Sonia
EDD 4/14/03

mama2be
01-23-2003, 03:41 PM
Oh I know...I mean this is not bad and to have canceled my appt just blows my mind!!! especially since it is at 7:30 tonight!!!

NOw the ice storm was a huge issue I can give them that...I acutally awoke that morning and panicked...granted I still ahd about 2 1/2 months but I swear I had a hormonal cry...."what if"....

Ice storms scare me to death from working at Fairfax hospital in the ER...we had one several years ago up there and I can't tell you what a mad house the place was, I mean ambulances had to be sent out to help ambulance crew that fell trying to help people who fell...it was crazy!!!

Where are you delivering at...who is your OB...are you all set...

nigele
01-26-2003, 03:10 PM
I want to second Neve's opinion about this ped - he is fantastic. We had an office visit this week and he spent a lot of time with us. He helped me come up with a plan for sleep training DS and I felt like he really listened to me and gave me advice geared toward our special situation - he didn't just dole out the standard sleep training advice. We had been going to another ped for six months and I wasn't crazy about her so I decided to interview several doctors until I found one I absolutely loved. This Dr. is only the second one I interviewed and I knew my search was over within the first five minutes - I am thrilled with him!

MartiesMom2B
01-27-2003, 12:05 AM
Lisa:

Thanks! I'm definitely going to call this week to see when the next open house is. I do have 3 months left so if they only do an open house once a month I have time!

Thanks again!

Sonia
EDD 4/14/03

nigele
01-27-2003, 10:31 AM
Sonia,

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions!!

Lisa