PDA

View Full Version : Advice: Add baby to dental plan?

jaime_n_jay
01-23-2003, 12:11 PM
Hi all! Hoping you can give me your thoughts on this. We are due on Mar 19 with our 1st and I was wondering if it is necessary to add the baby to our dental insurance plan when he/she is born.

I figure the baby won't even have teeth until the end of this calendar year and by that time we can add him/her. I have never even heard of someone taking an infant to the dentist, but you never know what emergency can arise. Advice, please? Thanks!!!

Jaime

darebear
01-23-2003, 12:46 PM
I went through the same debate with my husband with the dental and vision. My DS was born in July 2000 and I didn't add him until last January when he was 1 1/2. His ped checked his teeth and my dentist said not to bring him in until all 20 baby teeth are present(which they still aren't). If you can add the baby later I would wait.

Allison

sweetbasil
01-23-2003, 03:27 PM
Jaime,
As far as regular dental checks, a lot of dentists won't even see kids until they're four. That being said, my friend did have to take her 18 mo. old in for a teeth discoloring issue, so maybe if you decided to add baby on the plan for next calendar year....
Good luck!

Sandy
01-23-2003, 03:28 PM
I would advise waiting. One of our best friends is a dentist and he advised that most babies are usually about 1 1/2 to 2 yrs old before they see a dentist. I also checked with our pediatrician and they advised the same thing.