PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camera suggestions

jeepdad
01-23-2003, 02:17 PM
Hi. We are expecting our first (6/8/03) and want to get a digital camera. We have a digital camcorder, but the still photos are only good for web posting and such. Any suggestions? I'm thinking in the 2 to 4 megapixel range, with optical zoom. I have read several reviews of Canon's new G3, and while it looks great, I am unsure of if I need that much camera.

Thanks!

gour0
01-23-2003, 02:23 PM
We got the Kodak easy share cx4300 because it had good reviews. Haven't had it very long, but it is easy to use.

etwahl
01-23-2003, 02:27 PM
I highly recommend going to www.cnet.com and reading all the recommendations and reviews there. You can also see actual user opinions which is helpful. Sometimes the editors will rate a camera pretty high, but then you can look at the actual users opinions, and if only 75% of the users like the camera, you might think it's not as good as the editors say it to be. Cnet is definitely my first stop when it comes to researching electronics like this.

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

flagger
01-23-2003, 02:48 PM
Two places I can suggest for side by side comparison are Steve's Digicam's: http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html and Digital Camera Review: http://www.dpreview.com/

Also if your are considering buying online always make a stop at http://www.resellerratings.com

We bought the Canon G2 in November and are completely pleased with it. We wanted a camera in the 4MP range that would make 8X10 prints we could submit for the annual Weimaraner calender. Some sample shots using auto mode from last month's ice storm here can be found at: http://www.flaggshipweims.com/dec2002ice.htm

Like most digital cameras the built in flash has its limitations so our next purchase is a Canon Speedlite external flash sometime before the baby is due. The differences between the G2 and G3 were negligible for how we were going to use it. There should be some deals on the G2 to be found online and in brick and mortar stores.

I also used several different online vendors for extra batteries, a UV filter and a 256 MB Compact Flash card.

HTH Sorry this rambles on and on.

PS: I really want a digital SLR camera but that $4500 price tag is a bit out of our league. :)

C99
01-23-2003, 02:50 PM
I found most of the information on C|Net to be old or confusing, but someone recommended this site to me and I thought it was fantastic:
http://www.imaging-resource.com The guy even has side-by-side photos taken with different cameras so you can compare picture quality.

I bought my camera last summer, so prices have gone down and technology gone up since then, but I had inititally decided on the Olympus Camedia C-2040 zoom. Unfortunately, I couldn't find it when I went to buy it and ended up with the Olympus D-510 Zoom, which I think is 2.1 megapixels.

I've been really happy with the Olympus D510Z. One thing that I really like about the Olympus cameras is that they are truly "plug-and-play." The camera stores all of the download software within the camera so when I download the photos onto my laptop, my laptop just treats the camera like a plug-in device and pops up a file menu. I can copy the images directly onto my hard drive and delete them directly off my camera.

As I said on another thread, I upload the photos to Snapfish.com when I want to get printouts of the photos and let them worry about printing them out on photo paper and mailing them off to the computer-illiterate.

HTH
Caroline

dd_ani
01-23-2003, 05:35 PM
One feature to DEFINITELY consider is the movie feature. I will admit - I told DH we would _never_ use it since we have a digital camcorder, but I wouldn't be without it now! :) Ours is an older one, so we only get about 15 sec clips, but they are great for times when you want to get that cute little thing DD is doing! (And besides, who ever wants to watch hours of camcorder movies?!)

This feature was especially nice for the hospital stay and any other time you don't want to have to bring along a lot of equipment. Just put it in your pocket and go. Plus the clips are small enough to put on DD's website for out of town family to share.

One downside to this is the amount of space it takes up of the memory chip. But you can get bigger chips and adjust the resolution on most cameras to give you a happy medium.

As far as deals on cameras, we have had luck with ordering off the internet. Pricewatch.com will give you a price comparison of different models and stores. (Use the electronics tab to find digital cameras.) Just, of course, try to check the vendor out before you order.

Good luck!

Michelle

egoldber
01-23-2003, 11:23 PM
Have you looked at used cameras? We got a used Nikon D1 (to use all our Nikon lenses from our film SLR) and got it for about half retail. That was over a year ago, so I assume that the deals are even better now. I would assume that Canon has similar good deals on used digital SLR bodies.

HTH,

egoldber
01-23-2003, 11:31 PM
When we had Sarah, we went 100% digital because of the sheer quantity of pix we began taking. Over 5000 pictures later, that was probably a good choice on our part. :)

With a digital camera, the most frustrating thing, I think, is the shutter lag. That is the time between when you press the shutter and the camera actually taking the picture. You will be amazed at how many adorable poses you miss due to shutter lag.

As long as you get adequate megapixels (2-4 is fine), then the next big thing for me is getting the FASTEST camera you can afford.

Another thing to think about is does your family have a redeye problem? I have light eyes and always get redeye with an on-camera flash. Sarah's eyes are light also, so we get best results using a device to attach an external flash to the camera.

FYI, we have two Nikon digital cameras, a Coolpix 990 and a D1. The 990 is no longer manufactured, but the Coolpix line of cameras are all very nice. If you have a lot of lenses from a film SLR camera system, then you may want to look at getting a digital SLR at some point to be able to use those lenses.

Leica makes a compact digital camera that is supposed ot be the fastest on the market these days. If I were buying a camera today, that is what I would buy.

As far as on-line ordering we have been VERY happy with B&H Photo in New York. They have everything, have veyr competitive prices and are extremely reliable. http://www.bhphotovideo.com

HTH,

flagger
01-24-2003, 11:01 AM
One other thing to note if you have never owned a digital camera is if you get it before the baby is due practice shooting and shooting anything and everything in all sorts of lighting conditions.

One of the HARDEST habits to break is that internal thought of "Oh I don't want to waste another roll of film". In superfine mode with the least compression in AUTO, I can put 123 shots on a 256MB CF card. I have yet to fill it up. That habit for an SLR user is still hard to break.

You can always delete and then shoot more later when you review your pics on the LCD. I keep telling myself even pros shoot rolls and rolls of film for 4-5 great shots.

dd_ani
01-25-2003, 12:18 AM
I don't know if it will help with your cameras, but with ours (Sony) if you hold the button down half way, it take immediately when you depress it fully. (Does that sentence make any sense?)

Of course, we didn't know this for months because DH was insistent that he "didn't need no stinking manual." :)

Michelle

egoldber
01-25-2003, 11:52 AM
This "helps" but is not full proof. And I also find that if I hold the button down too long before snapping the shutter that the camera is no longer focused on what I had originally focused on when I snap the picture.

We only have this problem on the Coolpix. Ours is now 3 years old (we bought it used) and the newer ones are much faster.

Our D1 is instaneous, but with it's price tag, it ought to be ($2600 used).

HTH,

jeepdad
01-28-2003, 06:33 PM
Just curious what online vendors you used for the camera and extras, and what extra's you got.

Thanks!

flagger
01-28-2003, 08:04 PM
>Just curious what online vendors you used for the camera and
>extras, and what extra's you got.
>
>Thanks!

A Canon G2, 52MM adapter ring and UV Filter from BuyDig.
A spare BP-511 equivalent battery from Thomas Dist
A 256MB CF Type I and Card Reader from MyPcMax