PDA

View Full Version : Website Hosting

raynjen
01-23-2003, 07:25 PM
Hey you guys, I was hoping someone can reccommend a couple of good companies to host a family website. I know nothing about creating websites so I need something very simple. We just moved to Okinawa, Japan from the States and all our family lives in Texas. Since we have a young daughter we figured the easiest way for everyone to keep up with her progress is by the internet.

We mainly want a password protected site that we can post pictures on as well as some text. We have been using Shutterfly to post pictures on, but want something more personal. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Mom to Noelle (10/25/01)

P.S. We are willing to pay up to $100/year. We would like it to be more adaptable than most of the "freebie" sites such as Yahoo and ivillage. Thanks again!

egoldber
01-23-2003, 10:26 PM
With Yahoo, if you pay a fee, you can get a website with more features and fewer/no ads. This is true of a lot of sites. Many of them have crappy "free" pages and much nicer stuff if you pay a few dollars.

HTH,

flagger
01-23-2003, 10:49 PM
Take a look at AMZWEB http://www.amzweb.com/hosting.html

They are the virtual host we use for our doggy website. They have some really affordable plans based on anticipated traffic.

Sandy
01-24-2003, 12:19 AM
You may also want to try:

myfamily.com

We use it for our family and it does require a password to get it. It is a free site so you do get some advertisement and popups but not too many. It does have some really neat features. Some of the ones that I can think of off the top of my head are:

1.) sends e-mail notification when new content is added to the site i.e. pictures.

2.) Family calendar for special events and birthday, anniversary etc.. reminders

3.) has online messaging.

We have find it to be a nice way to keep everyone in touch and up to date.

Sandy
mom to Alexander Thor 3/16/02