PDA

View Full Version : Wetting through the diaper

raynjen
01-23-2003, 07:44 PM
In the last week or so my daughter (15 mos) has been waking up in the middle of the night screaming. When I check on her I find that the diaper is soaked through and so are her PJs. Since this just started is it something I need to be concerned about (paranoid I know, but I keep thinking of juvenile diabetes) or is she just learning to "hold it" longer and is letting it all out at night. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much, you guys are great!

Jennifer Matherne
Mom to Noelle (10/25/01)

Thank you for all the suggestions. We are living overseas so are kind of limited on the American brands (Pampers or Huggies). Since the size 4 Pampers are falling off her I think we will try Huggies instead and hope for the best. We've tried the Japanese Pampers but they hold even less! They have some other brands, but I can't read any of the packaging and so am reluctant to spend roughly $15 a pop to find out which ones work. Lets hope for Huggies!

Melanie
01-23-2003, 09:19 PM
Have you tried a different type or size of diaper and this is still happening?

Mommy to Jonah

egoldber
01-23-2003, 10:24 PM
What size diaper is she wearing? It could be time to go up a size.

HTH,

Rachels
01-23-2003, 10:45 PM
I agree-- probably time for a bigger diaper. As for juvenile diabetes, you don't have to worry if she's otherwise well. Also, JD usually includes baby breath that smells strongly of acetone, apparently. Have a sniff and put your mind at ease!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

raynjen
01-23-2003, 11:09 PM
I don't think its time for a new diaper size. She is about 20 pounds and is in the Pampers size 3 (which goes up to about 28 pounds). The "tapes" still meet in the front of the diaper. Plus this isn't a problem during the day when I check and change her diaper fairly frequently, just at night where she goes a long stretch between changings. Also, my husband accidently bought the wrong size for her last week (size 4) and it was HUGE on her.

Any other ideas?

Thanks, Jen

Mom to Noelle (10/25/01)

egoldber
01-23-2003, 11:17 PM
Well, my DD started wearing a Pampers 4 around 7 or 8 months. The 3's technically still fit her, but weren't containing any more. I have always had to switch DD to a larger size LONG before the size range indicated on the package.

Another thought, is she drinking a lot at night? If so, you might want to try and spread her liquids more evenly through the day.

HTH,

sweetbasil
01-23-2003, 11:55 PM
Jennifer~
This happened to our DS around the same time as you've experienced, and my mom said it happened to my sister and I as babies. She double-diapered (since she CDd), and I went up to Huggies Supreme for quite a while. We weren't giving him drinks before bedtime or anything, he just started storing it up or something. We'd change into the Supremes right before bed, then first thing in the a.m. back into regular Huggies. For what it's worth, it stopped happening before he turned 2. Good luck!

mary b
01-24-2003, 02:29 PM
Hi Jennifer, I haven't had this problem yet with wetting but I did want to respond to you.. I too have a Noelle and her birthday is 9-24-01. I just wanted to say that we have called the ped more in the last few weeks than ever! She has been waking up screaming alot in the last few weeks and we are trying to figure out if it's 1 year molars, napping too much etc.. It has been a frustrating month for us and I think it is so hard after your child has slept through the night for months and now we hear her every nite!

Hang in there and I hope the bedwetting problem clears up,

Mary
Mom to Noelle 9-24-01.

dd_ani
01-24-2003, 02:45 PM
You might try a different brand of diaper. We went through this a few months ago with our dd and a change in diaper brand/type did the trick. (We went from Huggies to Pampers, but you might try the reverse.) Perhaps they should start making/labeling diapers in different absorbancies like they do maxi pads: light wetter, day wear, heavy use, and holy cow! :)

Good luck,

Michelle

Tracey1
01-24-2003, 04:08 PM
We had this same situation with my DD about a month ago. She's also 20lbs. and was in Pampers size 3, which fit fine. Suddenly she started waking in the morning completely soaked, right through her pajamas. After several nights of this, I tried the size 4 and no more leaks! They're pretty big on her, too - the tapes almost overlap, but they fit tight in the legs and no more leaks. I still used the 3's for a while during the day (to finish up what I had) and they worked fine, they just couldn't hold up for the 12 hour night.

HTH!

cara1
01-27-2003, 01:58 PM
Have you tried the overnight diapers? DS started soaking through his diapers, and now we use LUVS overnights. No more leaks.