PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions for books on discipline

Elaine
01-26-2003, 03:11 PM
I'm looking for recommendations on books you have read that you thought were good methods of discipline. My daughter is 14 mo. old and definitely beginning to test her boundaries. Some days I already feel like I repeat "No" a hundred times! As I'm expecting another baby in May, I would really like to find some good advice on strategies to deal with things like "selective hearing", tantrums, etc. Preferably methods you have tried and found effective!

Some books I've considered: 1-2-3 Magic by Thomas Phelan, The Discipline Book by William & Martha Sears, and Discipline the Brazelton Way by T. Berry Brazelton. Any comments on these specifically, or others you've read is appreciated! Thanks.

egoldber
01-26-2003, 04:32 PM
I really like the books by Burton White. He spends a long time taking about discipline and testing by toddlers. His main book is called "The First Three Years of Life". He doesn't have a discipline book, per se, but he has another book called "Raising, a Happy, Unspoiled Child" which talks more specifically about toddler issues.

I think his ideas are helpful and practical. Other moms in my playgroup have also found his ideas to be helpful.

HTH,

ddmarsh
01-26-2003, 04:34 PM
I am a huge fan of 123 Magic - I have found it to be simple, direct, supportive and successful. I heard the author speak a few years ago and he was so wonderful - he made you feel like we all make mistakes and could laugh at ourselves a bit.

Debbie

KathyO
01-26-2003, 04:38 PM
It's a bit early (and I haven't read the book yet myself), but a friend whose relaxed-but-firm approach to parenting I admire was highly recommending "Making the Terrible Twos Terrific".

Cheers,

KathyO

Melanie
01-26-2003, 06:17 PM
We have the Dr. Sears one and I like it so far. Ds is just 14 mo., but it even addresses this age.

Mommy to Jonah