PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone had this happen around 34 weeks?

etwahl
01-27-2003, 11:19 AM
I got a scare last night. I woke up in the middle of the night, and felt nauseous, and my stomach was rock hard and also very warm. I did my kick count, which was fine, but my stomach was still staying really hard. I called my midwife and she told me that since I had no blood or unusual discharge that I was most likely fine, but to just drink a lot of water and go back to bed. My stomach stayed hard most of the night, which just scared me. I'm feeling a little better this morning. Have a headache almost like a hangover. And I felt some heartburn last night, which is unusual for me, as I haven't had to deal with it at all during the pregnancy.

Has anyone ever experienced this? Does it sound normal? Of course I was ready to call my friend and have her take me to the hospital, but was glad I called the midwife first.

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

newbelly2002
01-27-2003, 11:49 AM
Sounds like BH contractions to me. I had them throughout most of the pregnancy. Everyone kept saying that they were painless, but I beg to differ. And sometimes they would last for hours. I sometimes had the nausea and heartburn, but attributed that to Reflux. Take solace in the fact that this is your body's way of preparing. And to be honest, with all the BH contractions that I suffered through, I felt relatively prepared for the real thing when it did finally come.

It was smart though to call your mid-wife. They told me to keep tabs on it and if it ever reached more than 5 or 6 in an hour to call. My problem was that they never released!

Good luck and try to take a nap today. Sounds like a rotten night's sleep.

Paula
Mom to Dante 8.1.02

etwahl
01-27-2003, 11:58 AM
Interesting. I've actually had BH since the 2nd trimester, I just didn't know they could last for hours at a time! Jeez! I'm still feeling a little nauseous and off. I guess I do just need to take it easier today, drink lots of water, and hope it goes away. Unfortunately I do have to get my teeth cleaned this morning. Ugh!

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

twins r fun
01-27-2003, 12:37 PM
Tammy,

Definitely drink TONS of water-maybe you are slightly dehydrated and that is making you nauseous. I went into preterm labor and had contractions throughout my pregnancy. When they would get frequent I could make them stop by drinking 3 or 4 glasses of water, one right after the next. It's hard to do, but it always stopped the contractions. I also concentrated on preventing contractions by trying to drink a glass of water every hour I was awake. It's amazing what dehydration can do to your uterus.

Nicole

Shirale
01-27-2003, 02:02 PM
I don't want to be overly neurotic- but I had Pre-eclampsia and then ecclampsia during delivery and the headache and heartburn are actually also signs of HELP syndrome- (elevated liver count or something)usually along with swollen hands/face. I would definitly go see your MW and make sure your blood pressure is steady and that there is no protein in your urine...I am sure you are fine but it can't hurt to check your BP! Hope you are feeling much, much better now!!

newbelly2002
01-27-2003, 03:11 PM
That sounds awful!

In my case the heartburn and such was due to a gallbladder problem. I had an attack 3 weeks before delivery. It resembled HELP in almost all ways--liver count, pain, etc.

Just keep in touch with your midwife and trust your insinct.

Paula

Rachels
01-27-2003, 05:55 PM
It does sound like BH, but I'm also wondering if your baby could have rotated head up or head down. Sometimes that can do it. It might be worth having your midwife check the baby's position. At 34 weeks, there's still plenty of time to fix it if your baby went breech.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

JMarie
01-27-2003, 06:20 PM
I had this happen at 1:30 in the morning last Thursday and ended up in L&D getting checked out until 5 AM! Aidan wasn't really moving, so that's why we had to head to the hospital. Of course, once we got all hooked up to the monitors, he just started kicking up a storm and moving around so his heartbeat couldn't be tracked. The nurses were great, my OB came in to check me 'just in case' (even though the nurses told her not to come...), and I am feeling so relaxed about the actual labor now - the hospital staff was just so wonderfully reassuring! Apparently, it's all normal, as long as the baby is still moving around. But I agree - it is SO uncomfortable!

JMarie
EDD 2/23/03
Aidan Christopher

etwahl
01-27-2003, 06:28 PM
The good news is I'm feeling much better today! I'll definitely get my midwife to tell me what position the baby is in on Friday (I've never asked about this). Luckily as soon as I woke up and felt weird, the baby started to kick. That's one thing I've found somewhat interesting during this pregnancy. Whenever I think about the baby, or wonder when I'm going to start feeling movement again, that's when he/she starts kicking up a storm. It's almost like the baby can read my mind and wants to reassure me that she's okay. It's great actually! I wonder if this is possible :)

But it was especially weird last night because my belly was super warm. In fact, it was the first night I went to bed without a bra since I got pregnant(trying to let my skin breath) and all I could feel was my boobs resting against my very, very hot belly.

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!