PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a book...

TLC1994
01-27-2003, 11:42 AM
Hi -

I was just wondering if anyone has heard of or read a book that can somehow help you "plan" the sex of your baby. I know, I know - it's really NOT possible to do - but I'm still curious to look at the book.

I have no idea how this book helps you do this - different positions or what - but a friend of a friend supposedly used this method and it worked (probably just coincidence, I'm sure!). I just don't want to ask my friend about it because I'd rather not have others know that I'd like to get pregnant again.

Anyway, if anyone knows anything about this, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks!!

mamahill
01-27-2003, 03:41 PM
I saw this on Amazon, but I don't know if the sex really can be planned...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/038548562X/ref=pd_ts_b//002-5451413-2240800?v=glance&s=books&n=4676

Good luck, though! And let us know if it works ;)

TLC1994
01-27-2003, 03:56 PM
Thanks! I saw that too and then noticed my local library has a copy, so I'm going to pick it up soon.

Looks kind of interesting...

egoldber
01-27-2003, 04:39 PM
I actually have read that this works to a VVVEERRRYYYY limited extent. The thing is that male sperm and female sperm swim at different speeds (and I always forget which is which). So depending on when you ovulate and when you have sex, you can, to a minuscule degree, slightly alter the odds in favor of one gender baby or another.

I have read about this quite a bit on the ParentsPlace "Trying to Conceive" board.

HTH,

Rachels
01-27-2003, 05:34 PM
I know about this. Male sperm swim faster but female sperm live longer. If you abstain and then have within a day or so of ovulation, you're more likely to have a boy, because those boys will just swim right up there. If you have sex a few days before you ovulate and then not again, you're more likely to have a girl, because the boy sperm will have died off. It's not foolproof, but it does increase the likelihood of one or the other. Check out Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler. It has great info on how to chart your cycles, so you know when you're going to ovulate.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

mama2be
01-27-2003, 06:26 PM
I have heard the same thing as Rachel...Males swim faster live shorter
Females swin slower but live longer.

I pretty much am clock work and know when we conceived and based on this it made sense that I am having a boy...:)...

ScrapNancy
01-27-2003, 09:28 PM
These methods are by no means foolproof. I have conceived twice while doing the whole fertility "thing" - Clomid, Basal Charts and OPK tests. With timing like that it would stand to reason we'd conceive boys but we've conceived one of each. So I really wouldn't hassle it.

Nancy EDD 5/16/03

TLC1994
01-28-2003, 10:03 AM
Thank you all for your replies. I always get such good input on these message boards!

Right now I'm just curious to read about this method. Unfortunately, I don't run like clockwork :P so it may be harder for me to actually chart everything. But we'll see...

My husband and I already have a beautiful little girl and another one would be just fine, and then again so would a boy. It really doesn't matter, I just thought this book would make interesting reading.

Thanks again!!

Rachels
01-28-2003, 10:56 AM
Charting is easy, actually, and SO helpful if you don't run like clockwork. I was absoutely clear when I was ovulating, knew exactly how long my cycles would be, etc. Toni Weschler's book explains it really well, but let me know if you have questions!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

mary b
01-28-2003, 02:09 PM
Hi, I just wanted to say that my friend used the "how to choose book" and it worked for her.. She had 2 girls and wanted to see if they could conceive a boy and sure enough.. she is due in May..

Mary

Melanie
01-28-2003, 02:27 PM
We have the Shettles book, and while I concieved before we finished reading it, if we backtrack, then it was proven by Ds, too.

Mommy to Jonah