PDA

View Full Version : Dreft? Necessary or not?

etwahl
01-27-2003, 06:38 PM
I know in the book, they say not to worry about it, which would be preferred, but I'm also thinking about the fact that eczema and extremely sensitive skin runs in my family and I'm wondering if that should be a factor that would make me consider Dreft for washing the baby's clothes. Of course it's definitely more of a hassle because that means washing baby's clothes separately, but if it is something that others have found helped, especially with babies who have sensitive skin, then by all means, I'd like to try it.

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

kathsmom
01-27-2003, 06:56 PM
Hi, Tammy!

I used to wash DD's clothes in a baby detergent, but over the years, I have become sensitive to fragrance. When my brother gave me their left over Dreft liquid detergent, I couldn't use it because of the fragrance. I just throw DS's things in with ours and I use All Free and Clear (or Tide Free if the All is not available). I have had no problems. Plus, the baby detergents usually cost more.

I hope this helps! If you have any questions about any skin sensitizing agents Dreft might have, you may want to go to www.dreftbaby.com or call 1-800-436-BABY.

Good luck with everything! Keep us posted as to what is going on!

Toni - mom to Katherine and Andrew

blnony
01-27-2003, 07:30 PM
I do use Dreft. I like it. I do wash DD's things separate, although I have washed a few of our things in it too, and I don't notice them smelling much different (I use Cheer for our things usually.) DD has very sensitive skin, (we have been using Kiehl's lotion and things b/c thats the only she doesn't have a reaction to) and the Dreft has never bothered her. Our Ped. recommended using it, and thats why I did at first, but I like it and how soft her clothes feel.
Oh, and DD is a spitter, so we always have enough to make a whole load of baby things every other day!:)
And..aside from the question, I hope you are doing good. I've been thinking about you lately, and I hope you are hanging in there!

Momof3Labs
01-27-2003, 08:15 PM
I have sensitive skin, too, so I stay away from fragrances - something Dreft has a lot of! We use Cheer Free for our clothes and Colin's.

It's up to you!

Lori & Colin 9/28/02

atlbaby
01-27-2003, 08:17 PM
I have very sensitive skin, so I've always used a fragrance-free detergent for my own (and DH's) clothing. I just continued to use it for Arielle's things once she was born, and figured if she needed something more sensitive I would switch to Dreft for her. Turns out she does have rather sensitive skin too (her bibs leave marks on the back of her neck :( ), but the All Free seems good enough for her! So, in the interest of convenience for washing everyone's things together, I'd try All Free first.

I should add that I do still wash all of Arielle's new things first before putting them on her.

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01

August Mom
01-27-2003, 08:28 PM
I use Dreft and wash DS's items separately. My pediatrician recommended that approach due to my son's eczema and we haven't had any problems. I have found that the best place to buy Dreft is Target, where they sell the 200 oz. bottle for $14.99. I too have never had a problem making a full load with DS's clothes. :)

August Mom
01-27-2003, 08:29 PM
What is Kiehl's lotion like and where do you buy it?

blnony
01-27-2003, 08:48 PM
The Kiehl's lotion is great. It isn't oily and it doesn't have any fragrance. It is absorbed easily too. We started using it after DD started breaking out with Mustela, Baby Magic and Johnsons. We use Aquaphor on the face, because she has a little eczema spot there and it seems to work well. But Aquaphor was too greasy for the body, and we were at the end of our rope, so to speak. I use Kiehl's products and love them, so I gave them a try for baby, and they are great. I kind of miss that "baby smell" but I really appreciate DD not having hives all over her body, and I think she does too!
I'm in North Carolina, and I can find them at Nordstrom's and Saks has them too. Also, you can order online at Kiehls.com. They have a flat rate shipping fee if you order online. They are a little less expensive than Mustela products, but a bit more than Baby Magic or Johnsons.

egoldber
01-27-2003, 09:08 PM
If your baby doesn't have any sensitivities then it doesn't matter. I have always used our regular laundry detergent on Sarah's clothes with no trouble.

If your baby is sensitive to fragrances, then Dreft would not be a good choice. You would need one of the "Free" detergents. If your baby is sensitive to harsh detergents, then Dreft may be a good choice, since it is a milder detergent than many others.

HTH,

etwahl
01-27-2003, 09:14 PM
Is Dreft milder than the "free" laundry detergents? I guess you never know about their sensitivies until they're here!!!

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

egoldber
01-27-2003, 09:16 PM
I don't know if it is milder, but it claims to be.

HTH,

brubeck
01-27-2003, 09:28 PM
We use Tide Free for everyone's clothes. Even if you choose to use Dreft there is no reason to separate out the loads: just do everyone's stuff together. Why make more work for yourself?

Also be aware of dryer sheets. There is no point in using a special detergent only to throw a perfume loaded dryer sheet in! We use Bounce Free and have had no problems with it.

atlbaby
01-27-2003, 09:32 PM
I've never been able to use those cute snuggle-bear dryer sheets for myself, but Bounce Free does the trick--love the commercials w/ the bear though :)

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01

etwahl
01-27-2003, 09:35 PM
That's a good point about the dryer sheets. I probably will separate the laundry for a while, for one reason because DH just stocked up on a bunch of liquid tide (not the free kind) and bounce scented sheets before he left...so I don't want to waste it all and it works fine on our stuff, but will consider using the Free stuff for all our laundry in the future if it works on the baby. Thanks for all the tips.

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

blnony
01-27-2003, 09:50 PM
I've never used dryer sheets for the baby, and I've never heard of Bounce Free? Can you get them at Target or somewhere like that?

etwahl
01-27-2003, 09:54 PM
You don't find the clothes to be staticky without the sheets? My clothes always come out stuck together if I ever forget to put the sheet in.

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

Rachels
01-27-2003, 09:55 PM
We're a Tide Free and Bounce Free family!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

blnony
01-27-2003, 10:05 PM
I use air dry or low heat, and nothing seems very staticky. I've noticed that baby clothes, from anywhere (Baby Gap, Old Nay, Gymboree etc.) tend to shrink, so I just dry them very slowly without much heat.
But I use Bounce sheets for our stuff. Just not the babe's, although I have thought about using the Snuggle Pure & Gentle because I have a friend who uses them for her son.

Edited because I don't think there is really an Old Nay, but Old Navy is a real store:7

etwahl
01-27-2003, 10:10 PM
Good to know about the shrinkage. I'm going to probably wash all our baby stuff this week. I can't wait to then get it all organized and put it away! Even better to try them out on the baby. The clothes are SOOOO cute.

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

egoldber
01-27-2003, 10:15 PM
I also use Bounce Free. You can pretty much find it anywhere. I have seen it at the grocery store, as well as Target. I buy mine at Costco.

HTH,

abigailsmom
01-28-2003, 01:54 AM
We still use dreft even though Abigial isn't sensitive to other detergents b/c it gets EVERYTHING out of her clothes. We have had cereal, spit-up, and diaper blow-outs that sat for a day or so... and it all still comes out in the wash. That has been enough reason to stick with using that and occasionally the Dreft stain remover spray-stuff.
JMHO

sweetbasil
01-28-2003, 10:46 AM
For us, Dreft worked best for getting diaper and spit-up stains out of DS's clothes, too. I stuck with it until he was about one, and then just threw his clothes in with our cooler-wash delicates, etc.

I used to use fabric softener with our clothes before DS was born, but then heard about studies similar to this one: http://www.consumerreports.org/main/detailv2.jsp?CONTENT%3C%3Ecnt_id=18539&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=18151 which says that liquid softeners make clothes more flammable. I've also read that the dryer sheets make towels less absorbant, so we've stopped using them with our bath laundry.

gour0
01-28-2003, 12:02 PM
I used Dreft before for myself. I just liked it. I still have some in Texas, I think... it just didn't make it to Michigan! I don't think I'll worry about what we use unless a problem presents itself. I hope you're only washing the gender nuetral clothes for now! :)

etwahl
01-28-2003, 12:09 PM
Well I haven't washed anything yet, but I so want to wash everything. A lot of the girly clothes we have were bought in SF on sale, no refund, so those don't matter. There are the babyGap stuff that I guess I shouldn't wash, as I understand they have a good return policy? I can't imagine taking back all these cute clothes people have given us.

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

gour0
01-28-2003, 12:15 PM
Well...considering dh is a Marine...he might not appreciate having ds dressed in a dress. :P

etwahl
01-28-2003, 12:43 PM
Actually he was the one who said we can use the clothes even if it's a boy...of course I'm not sure he was serious :) But seriously, there's not one dress in the bunch, just a bunch of really cute sets.

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

gour0
01-28-2003, 12:59 PM
Sorry. Just couldn't resist! I say go with your gut. If it doesn't bother you... I think it's just annoying to have people call your baby by the wrong gender. It seems to be a major pet peave of parents everywhere. :) Wish English had a gender nuetral pronoun!

etwahl
01-28-2003, 05:46 PM
Of course it would bother me :) :)

No, I actually wouldn't dress up our baby in girl clothes if it's a boy. But I just don't want to take them back either, they're so cute! :) I agree though, whatever sex it is, I will make sure to buy gender appropriate clothes. If it's a boy, I guess that's a good excuse for me to go on a spending spree!
Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

cara1
01-28-2003, 05:59 PM
I don't think I'm saying anything here that hasn't already been said...but our dermatologist recommends All-free or Tide-free or one of the frees. We actually switched to it years ago for DH who has eczema and atopic dermatitis. Also, no dryer sheets!

brubeck
01-28-2003, 09:58 PM
I just put all of our 'normal' detergent and sheets aside and pulled them out again to use when my daughter turned 1 and her 'skin sensitivity' had diminished.

brubeck
01-28-2003, 09:59 PM
I get mine at Albertson's, the same place I buy the Tide Free.

Shirale
01-29-2003, 02:17 PM
My Mother bought me a couple of the huge Dreft's at Costco- so I use that! I happen to love the smell and I use it for my udergarments too b/c I find that it is less irritating than anything else I have tried! One of the big containers lasted us a 9 mo! (and I do laudry a lot!)