PDA

View Full Version : ? about progressing to labour.

KimberleyDawn
01-29-2003, 01:29 PM
At my weekly (37w2d) appt. yesterday my dr. made a comment that I didn't think to question at the time but now I'm wondering about it. I had in internal and the dr. told me "the baby's head is right here, your cervix is very soft but you are not dialated yet". So what does this mean? Is this good news & maybe labour soon in coming or does it mean nothings going on yet?

Kim- EDD: Feb.16th

COElizabeth
01-29-2003, 01:46 PM
You can't predict! You could start dilating soon, or you might not. One good thing is that if you did have to be induced for some reason, having a soft cervix makes it easier to get things going, but other than that it doesn't really mean much. It IS progress, so I guess it means something, but it just doesn't tell you when you will actually go into labor!

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

cara1
01-29-2003, 02:07 PM
Right, it means both. Three things need to happen for labor. The baby's head needs to be down (not just face down, but all the way down into the pelvis), the cervix needs to be effaced (soft or ripe), and you need to be dilated. Many us walk around up to 2 cm dilated for weeks before delivery. Others don't dilate much ahead of time, and do it all at the last minute. So, yes, things are progressing. But could be tomorrow, could be a month. :) Good luck.

newbelly2002
01-29-2003, 02:33 PM
Does the baby really need to be down in the pelvis? Is that what's called "dropping" or is that something else?

DS didn't "drop" until I started the pushing phase. I also was less than one cm. dilated and the contractions were less than 3 minutes apart.

Just curious. And good luck--hope the time goes quickly!

Paula

mamahill
01-29-2003, 03:08 PM
Don't you just love how unpredictable labor is?! The Monday before I delivered I was at my appt and I had had several hours of contractions before the appt. The OB examined me and said, "You haven't dilated, but your cervix is soft. You could go another 3 weeks." I just looked at him and said, "Whaaaa?" Then he said, "Or you could have it tomorrow, we never know for sure." Ah, such confidence-inspiring! I went into REAL labor that Saturday, and out she popped on Sunday. So maybe you should check back in with us in a couple days (I had her at 37w4d!)... ;)

KimberleyDawn
01-30-2003, 02:47 PM
Thanks ladies! Don't get me wrong I love being pg (no pg symptoms until 3rd trimester) but I also want it over now! My 1st baby (ds is 11yrs) was 9lbs 7oz (6 days late) and I was hoping to stay way clear of that weight so obviously laboring sooner to me is better (LOL)! I find that since there is a huge age gap between my kids I'm having a hard time remembering how labor goes (yes, time does take the edge off)!

Kim- EDD: Feb.16th