PDA

View Full Version : Bargain alert for baby clothes and equipment

mary b
01-30-2003, 08:43 AM
Wasn't sure if I should put this in the baby clothes section but since it is also for equipment, thought I would put it here. Anyway, I just wanted to let everyone in on a great bargain tip I have found. They are called "Mom's Sales" and several organizations do them usually in the Spring (before garage sale season starts) and the Fall (after it's over). In the Cincinnati area, there are about 15 of them in the month of March alone. Organizations from churches, to mom's groups to Mother of Twins club have these sales. They usually are on Saturdays and start around 8-9AM. They are extremely organized and they are basically a giant garage sale for kids clothes and equipment. I have found so much at these sales, I typically dont go to consignment shops because the prices are much better here. At the sales in the fall, I got 2 Gymboree winter coats for $10 each that have worked out great and also Christmas outfits. THey are great for both everyday stuff and the special occasion clothes that can get pricy quickly.
Of course, you need to be in the mood to dig. Here are a few tips on successful Mom's sales:
(1) If it starts at 8, get there at least 15 minutes early to get in line.
(2) Go through your kid's wordrobe first and take a list with you of items you need.
(3) Take some extra bags or laundry baskets with you.
(4) If you can, take a friend or some extra hands (DH refuses to go!)
(5)They are usually cash only!

I do still go to garage sales but it's nice to have one place to get so much accomplished in a short period of time.

You can either look on-line for Mother of Twins clubs, call information, look in local paper for garage sales which will list them and call local chuches. Once Igo to them, I usually get on the mailing list so that I don't have to scout them out so much.

Sorry so long, but I love them and wanted to pass info along to everyone!

Mary

mama2be
01-31-2003, 12:38 PM
This sounds like my kind of thing...I guess you just look int he paper for them, or is there a web site...how do you know when they are...

mary b
01-31-2003, 01:47 PM
Hi Neve, yes, check the garage sale section of your local paper and you can do a web search of "Mother of Twins" and there will usually be a web site and a contact name you can email. There are alot of different organizations that have these besides the Mother of Twins, like churches and Mom's Clubs. Once you find them, then get on the mailing list so it will be alot easier for you to find them!
Good luck, I absolutely live for these sales, I have gotten so much good stuff!!
Mary

bonbon98
01-31-2003, 01:52 PM
For parents in the metro Detroit area, here's a website that lists the Mom2Mom sales in the spring & fall:

www.mom2momlist.com

I go with my MIL and we usually end up with a van load of stuff.

HTH

mama2be
01-31-2003, 02:29 PM
Bonnie...one of my dearest friends has an Emma and an Evan :)...

Emma was first, and Evan's sex was unknown, they ahd a girl name picked out ,Olivia, but no boy name...I actually came up with Evan for them!!!!!

Just wanted to share...love the names together!!!

Momof3Labs
01-31-2003, 03:06 PM
These sound so wonderful, but I tried to go to one when I was about 8 months pregnant and the line around the building and out into the parking lot scared me off! They didn't offer a shorter "stork" line LOL.

Maybe it's just because we live in such a young community (there are 35 kindergarten classes in our district.... and that number is expected to grow)!

Lori & Colin 9/28/02

mary b
01-31-2003, 03:09 PM
They do need a stork line! Ha. I agree, they can be overwhelming and aren't for everyone. you really need to be a bargain hunter type of person who doesn't mind crowds!

bonbon98
01-31-2003, 05:49 PM
Thanks Neve! Congrats on your upcoming little bundle of joy!!

gour0
01-31-2003, 06:22 PM
Thank you sooo much! Think I'll wait until after ds is born!