PDA

View Full Version : How often do/did you really use your changing table?

flagger
01-30-2003, 02:15 PM

mamahill
01-30-2003, 02:49 PM
While I don't use my changing table for EVERY change, I'd say I use it for MOST changes. Unless I'm too lazy to go to her room. But then, our changing table is a chest of 4 drawers with a contoured changing pad on top. DH stained the dresser a dark cherry, which we had purchased at an unfinished furniture store for $200. We bought nice silver knobs and it looks pretty nice. Nobody guesses it didn't come with our whitewashed cherry with cherry accents crib. I wouldn't have bought a changing table on it's own because it didn't seem practical for us (due to space and budget). Also, the dresser is a little higher than most changing tables, which I liked because I don't feel like I'm leaning over to change her. HTH

KimberleyDawn
01-30-2003, 02:58 PM
I lived in a 2 storey when I had DS so unless I was actually upstairs I didn't use mine! I had all my changing supplies under my washroom sink downstairs and changed the baby wherever. Also, my son was a mover so his crib was much easier when we were upstairs once he got bigger. If money is tight I wouldn't bother with one and would just buy another dresser (never too much storage space!) and put a change pad on it if you don't want to use the crib, floor, sofa, table...

Kim

blnony
01-30-2003, 03:00 PM
We also have a dresser/changer combo. We use it for every change. Its a long dresser so there is plenty of room on the top for changing supplies and a rumble-tuff dresser changing pad. We didn't buy a separate changing table because it seemed impractical and didn't have any other uses. This way we also have great storage and more room in the nursery.

Sandy
01-30-2003, 03:24 PM
We also have a dresser / changing pad combo and use it for most changes but not all. We have found that it works great and didn't need an actual separate changing table.
Sandy
mom to Alexander Thor 3/16/02

dd_ani
01-30-2003, 03:48 PM
DD is 11 months now and, while I haven't used it for quite _every_ change, it has been very helpful. When she was little, we did use the changing station on the pack n play a fair amount, but the changing table has been it for the last few months. I know a lot of people don't ever use theirs and I probably wouldn't have even gotten one if I hadn't seen one at a garage sale around the corner for $10, but I am so glad I have one now.

It depends upon your individual situation, but I find it is much easier to keep her confined to one small area than having freedom to crawl everywhere. Plus, we have dogs, so there is always some fur on the carpet (not to mention the 4 legged, wet-nosed assistants who LOVE to supervise diaper duty! :)). And since I have had back problems, the lack of bending over has really been helpful.

Michelle

Rachels
01-30-2003, 03:55 PM
We use a dresser with a contoured changing pad, too. We use it for every change. Abigail knows what to expect there and picks her legs up as soon as we lie her down.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

flagger
01-30-2003, 03:57 PM
I was wondering about those that bought or received an actual changing table. Everyone I know used it rarely but used dresser tops, the bed, sofa, etc.

Shirale
01-30-2003, 04:37 PM
We also bought a dresser/changer combo. We use it for every change that we are in the house for. Once in a while we'll change her somewhere else, but for some reason she wiggles more if she is not in her regular diaper changing spot!

kathsmom
01-30-2003, 04:43 PM
Hi, Flagger!

I did not use a changing table with DD. we really didn't have the space or money to buy one. However, with DS, I told my DH in no uncertain terms that we were getting a changing table. We looked for a dresser, but the ones at the baby furniture store were way out of our budget, and we really didn't get a chance to check out other places. We found a floor sample changing table at a locally owned baby store when we were testing out strollers. It was about $150. It is wood with 2 shelves and a drawer. We live in a ranch house, so we use the changing table for EVERY diaper change. My back can't take changing him on the floor or on the bed.

I have a friend who converted her old changing table into a toy storage area. She got bins/baskets and put the toys in them on the shelves. She has it in her playroom.

Are you considering purchasing one or are you interested in a dresser?

Good luck!

Toni

flagger
01-30-2003, 04:48 PM
We thought about it, but we had a table built with a shelf for storage and two doors to keep her out when she gets older. We met a furniture builder at a craft show and I am waiting for the weather to warm up so I can fine sand it and stain it.

We talked about the CT, but decided we wanted something that would get more use than just the CT. Most of them seemed very very flimsy to me and or impractical for any other use.

atlbaby
01-30-2003, 05:30 PM
We have a CT/dresser combo, and I use it for every change while we are at home. We live in an apt, so it's not a big walk to her room though! :)

However, I'm not the most coordinated of people, so when I do have to change Arielle on someone else's CT (or on her diaper bag changing pad) if Arielle is in a different position relative to me, I get really confused and it's so hard for me to diaper her! I'm so used to all the set-up on her CT I have a hard time adjusting!

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01

AngelaS
01-31-2003, 08:59 AM
I use mine every change. We have a changing pad on top of her dresser and it's in the upstairs of our two story home. I mostly use cloth diapers and part of my 'post baby workout' is walking up and down the stairs for every diaper change. :)

It worked--at 6 weeks post partum, I weighed 5 lbs less than when I got pregnant. LOL

newbelly2002
01-31-2003, 10:15 AM
We used a dresser with a changing pad on top with the theory that we can always use the dresser later (my sister refinished my old dresser, put on drawer knobs. It looks great!). Over here, we bought a second-hand changing table from Ikea. The top folds out to be a changing table and then folds back into a dresser later. There is a set of shelves underneath with two doors.

I love it and really can't imagine not having a changing table. As someone else mentioned, I have everything set up, know where it is, and Dante knows what is going to happen. It also allows changing times (since there are so many!!) to be play times too. We have lots of hand and feet games that we've started playing while we change/dress/undress him.

And since he started getting wiggly, I'm very thankful that we have a wide surface. Interesting is that the changing table designs here are a little different. Most surfaces are a big square and the baby lays with h/her head back against the wall as oppose to the traditional style I have seen [and had] in the US where the baby lays lengthwise to your body. Does that make sense? This gives Dante room to turn in both directions which sometimes makes pulling on pants a little easier!

Paula

juliasdad
01-31-2003, 12:37 PM
We, too, use a dresser combo unit with a contour changing pad; we use it for every change at home. I agree with Flagger that most dedicated changing tables seem flimsy and impractical; I suppose if one has a large enough house, it may be nice to have a changing table stationed somewhere as a secondary place for changing. But that's not us!

-dan