PDA

View Full Version : Pictures

suzette
01-30-2003, 08:13 PM
I'm looking for suggestions on where to go to have my 4 1/2 month old photographed. I've heard the Picture People are very good, but I don't have any local. Does anyone use JCPenney's or Sears regularly? Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Suzette

twins r fun
01-30-2003, 09:14 PM
We always use Sears and have been pleased with all our pictures except one (bad lighting on a Halloween shot). I find you have to plan ahead and tell them what you want, though. I bring my own props and tell them exactly what backgrounds I want and work with them on the poses. I don't really like most of their props or ideas! Both JCP and Sears show you all the backgrounds and some portrait ideas on their websites. Maybe if you go somewhere better you don't have to work so hard, but these guys are affordable for me! If you get the enhanced lighting at Sears they come out looking excellent-very professional-this is what we usually do. The standard lighting doesn't look as nice, but it is okay if you want something cheaper. Look for coupons for either Sears or JCP on the websites. They also both have a smile savers plan that saves you sitting fees (worthwile if you go more than once in 2 years). I looked at both and went with Sears because I liked their backgrounds better-more fabric ones as opposed to printed screens. I haven't tried anyone else to compare, but I know Target also has some portrait studios.

Nicole

nigele
01-30-2003, 09:16 PM
Suzette,

My two best friends told me to avoid Picture People but I went anyway and had a really bad experience. I will never bother to go back even with their "free" coupon offers. I have had DS's pictures taken at Sears and although I usually have problems, (pictures printed the wrong size, etc.) their customer service always corrects them promptly. The photographer we use at Sears is really great. I also have a friend who swears by J.C. Penney.

Good luck!

mamahill
01-30-2003, 09:17 PM
The only problem with the Picture People is that while they have GREAT deals, they make you sign a release. They're owned by Hallmark and can then use the pictures they take for any of their products, without having to pay royalties. On the one hand I would be flattered to have my baby on a greeting card. On the other, it's a cheap way to get models! My husband is a photographer and made me promise to never go there. Bummer, too, because they've got those free sitting/print things all the time. I know you said you didn't have any nearby, but I thought I'd throw that in anyway. I don't have any experience with JCP or Sears, but a friend of mine always goes to JCP and has had a pretty good time. I haven't heard her complain. Do you have Kiddie Kandids? I've heard good things about them too. Or sometimes your BRU will have a studio of some kind in there.

nigele
01-30-2003, 09:18 PM
Hi Nicole!

What is the "enhanced lighting" at Sears? They never offered it to me - do you have to special-request it?

Thanks,

blnony
01-30-2003, 09:57 PM
We use JCPenney and its been fine. The only thing is they rush you through like cattle and the pictures are printed on these sheets and you have to cut them out yourself. I thought that was weird, but they weren't expensive either. They look good, but the photographer kept calling my daughter Megan, which she smiled at. I don't know why because her name is Audrey!LOL! I guess she just felt like a Megan that day.:)

Momof3Labs
01-30-2003, 11:28 PM
We had a bad experience with Picture People, too. Of all the pictures they took, very few came out, but we didn't know that until we went back that evening to pick up the photos. The photographer stayed behind the camera and didn't even know how to get Colin's attention. It was a waste of time (we had a coupon, though).

But we LOVED Kiddie Kandids (it is in our BRU)!! They did a great job of getting Colin to smile, and you could see the pictures instantly on their computer. So we knew when we had a good shot with a particular pose. We sat down right away and picked what we wanted (you can buy by the sheet), and they were even able to edit the photos (we made one full-body shot into a close-up). The pictures were ready in 15 minutes. Oh, and no sitting fee, so if your baby has a bad day, just go home and try again. They also didn't require an appointment, so we went at a good time for Colin.

Can you tell that we loved our Kiddie Kandids photos??

Lori & Colin 9/28/02

August Mom
01-31-2003, 02:45 PM
We've only had DS's professional photo taken twice, but we had one great experience and one horrible one. We first went to The Picture People on the recommendation of another new mom (and we had a coupon for a free 8 x 10 and no sitting fee). That was at 3 months so timing was everything. Having timed DS's feeding perfectly :) we arrived at The Picture People. DS was in a great mood, smiling and laughing. Then we waited and waited and waited. It was finally our turn. By then DS wasn't in a great mood. We did wind up with 1 picture where he was smiling (the first pose), but it had a shadow behind him and there was some discoloration in one of the corners. None of the other poses were good. My thought was "I could have done a better job myself." I also was annoyed because I had to do everything at the studio. I had to pose him, pull his pant legs down, pick dark pieces of fuzz off the background blanket, etc. Plus, the photos are $15 per sheet. They do have cute props, though.

Our next trip was to Sears. It was great. We had to wait a few minutes after our appointment time, but not too long. The photographer did a great job posing DS and getting him to smile. Plus, you can see the photo right away and have the photographer retake that pose if you don't like it. I liked all the poses! That's the downside, you want to buy one of each. :) Plus, Sears has great coupons. I bought each sheet for $3.99. You do need to pick out your own backgrounds and props so visit the website before you go.

Mommy to Justin
8-14-02

twins r fun
02-01-2003, 12:13 AM
Lisa,

Sorry must have missed this when you posted it. Maybe all studios don't do the enhanced lighting-the coupons don't mention it. You can't get it if you are doing the portrait package, only when buying by the sheet. The enhanced lighting sheets are $3 more (which makes them almost double the regular lighting price when using a coupon). I've always asked for it when I want it, but even when I don't the studio is required to take a certain number of poses with enhanced lighting and a certain number without. Maybe if you've never been told about it, your studio doesn't have it. If you can get it, it makes the pictures turn out a lot nicer-more soft and subtle like you would get at Olan Mills or the equivalent.

Nicole

Melanie
02-01-2003, 01:44 AM
Thanks for the endorsment, I think I will check them out for our Valentine photos next weekend instead of Picture People. I had a great experience at Picture People the first 4 times, but the last 2 were not great.

Do you know what the kiddie kandids pricing is? They left that off of their website of course! Plus they didn't have any online coupons...hrmph...The free sitting fee will definitely get me lured in next weekend.

Mommy to Jonah

dd_ani
02-01-2003, 02:14 AM
We use JC Penny's a lot. They have a lot of convenient locations (and close to the doors at the mall even! Picture People are always right in the center as far away from the doors as possible, at least in our area!!) and Penny's does an ok job.

They are usually pretty nice, but sometimes they are short staffed and can run a bit late. This is especially true near the holidays. If you try to go on off hours, like weekday afternoons, this is usually less of a problem.

On the plus side, they do have coupons all the time for free pictures/cheap sheets of photos. Yes, you do have to cut them out, but I am ok with that.

One thing with either Penny's or Sears, go for the picture club membership. For like $35/2 years you never pay a sitting fee for any member of your immediate family. We have tried to go just about every month for at least the first year for dd. With the membership and the coupons (usually you can get 1 8x10 free and 3.99 to 4.99/sheet), it is not very expensive, if you can restrain yourself from buying every cute picture for every relative :). Plus, it is nice to get a picture of the whole family from time to time as well.

Another nice thing about Penny's (maybe other studios do this too?) is the ability to see your pictures on the computer screen and order immediately. Much different from Olan Mills (rip off) where they order the pictures for you (a set of each pose), then weeks later you come into view (be coerced into buying much more than your free baby package) the pictures and can order more (at exorbitant prices). Penny's does always print extras, just in case you want to buy them when you pick up too. (For some reason, this practice really annoys me. Do all studios do this?)

Good luck!!!

Michelle

Momof3Labs
02-01-2003, 09:53 AM
The Kiddie Kandids by us is priced at $15/sheet - not cheap, but no sitting fee, so if you have a bad sitting it doesn't cost a penny.

Lori & Colin 9/28/02

suribear
02-01-2003, 12:53 PM
with picture people you HAVE to get a good photographer - that makes all the difference. i've had anywhere from wonderful to awful experiences, and that was the deciding factor.. ask around for recommendations if you use them.

i love kiddie kandids props and they do a great job! the only concern i had was that the pictures weren't as sharp and as they are all digital (As many studios are today) they may not have the longevity of regular prints. i even read that in their own newsletter(in not so many words) and elsewhere.

that's why i still go to picture people. even with regular prints, you have to be careful about not exposing them to sunlight, but they just seem sturdier. (i'm a scrapbooker and take my pictures very seriously LOL)

i wish kiddie kandids wasn't digital..

btw, i think no matter where you go, you need to find a good photographer. and franchises vary from one location to the other.
Kris

suribear
02-01-2003, 12:56 PM
oh, picture people always prints out the pictures before viewing, in packages! (then you make more if you want) i think it's b/c parents are more likely to buy them if they are ready to go, plus it's hard for us to imagine them being thrown out.

Kris