PDA

View Full Version : I am so worried...

nigele
02-03-2003, 08:49 PM
We saw our ped today, since I noticed over the last week that every once in a while Thomas's left eye was pointing in a different direction than his right eye. The ped said there is something happening that is blocking the sight in his left eye and he is sending us promptly to a Pediatric Opthamologist. We see him tomorrow morning at 9:30. In the meantime, I am extremely worried. Our ped said it could be anything from a lazy eye to a cataract, which would require surgery. My sister was born blind and had four surgeries as an infant for glaucoma. She has sight now but is legally blind. I have been thinking over the last few months how awful it must have been for my poor mother to have to see her baby go through that. I am just stunned that this is happening and am on the verge of tears.

ddmarsh
02-03-2003, 09:03 PM
Oh my goodness I am so terribly sorry. Thank goodness you are able to get into see someone so quickly - I hope you'll post what they had to say as soon as you can. I will be thinking of you both tomorrow and pray that everything is ok.

Debbie

Rachels
02-03-2003, 09:26 PM
Oh, Lisa!!! I am so sorry. I really know how awful it is to worry that your baby has a serious health problem. Go ahead and cry, girl-- this was not what you had in mind!!! If there's anything we can do for you, please let us know.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

kathsmom
02-03-2003, 09:36 PM
Lisa,

I am so sorry to hear about this! I know that you have been through a lot lately with the apnea and reflux. I will be thinking of you tomorrow morning. Please let us know what the opthamologist says. Go ahead and cry if you need to. Just know that we are all here for you!

Toni

twins r fun
02-03-2003, 10:02 PM
Lisa,

I am sure you are really concerned-what a scary feeling. Hopefully you/your ped are just preparing for worst case and it will be something minor. Will be thinking of you guys and watching the board tomorrow for an update. Think positive!

Nicole

nohomama
02-03-2003, 10:10 PM
Lisa,

My older brother had four eye surgeries between the ages of three and seven to correct a lazy eye. I rememeber being frightened by the whole thing as a child. I can't even imagine how difficult and nerve racking it must have been as a parent.

I'm absolutely certain no one here would fault you if you had a good cry or two (or three, or four for that matter). Don't let your imagination get the better of you though. Get some sleep tonight and let us know what happens tomorrow morning.

Take care,

blnony
02-03-2003, 10:44 PM
I am so sorry, I really hope you get some good answers tomorrow. Please keep us posted. You'll be in our thoughts and prayers.
I really hope everything works out okay.

Sandy
02-03-2003, 10:51 PM
Lisa,
I am so sorry. What a terrible thing to have to go through. You will be in our thoughts tomorrow. Please know that we are all here to support you through this.

Sandy
mom to Alexander Thor 3/16/02

atlbaby
02-03-2003, 11:32 PM
Lisa,
What a scary time this must be for you waiting to hear what the doctor will say tomorrow. I do hope you get some answers!
Wishing you lots of good luck and support!

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01

Annette_C
02-03-2003, 11:36 PM
Lisa, I'm so sorry you, your DH and Thomas have to go through yet another health problem. Hopefully, it won't be as bad as you think and this too will all be behind you soon.
My thoughts and prayers will be with you and Thomas tomorrow morning. Keep us posted because we care very much.
BIG HUG!
Annette
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02

jojo2324
02-03-2003, 11:55 PM
Lisa, I am so sorry!! Please, please keep us posted on Tommy's diagnosis. I will be keeping you all in my thoughts. Please let us know if there is anything we can do. Big hugs to you and Tommy!

mamahill
02-04-2003, 01:38 AM
Oh Lisa - I have a slight inkling of what you may be feeling. Ainsleigh had a tendency to cross one eye until she was about 5 months old. The ped said if it didn't heal itself by 6 months, we'd want to begin talking about seing a pediatric opthamologist. That in itself freaked me out and I watched her every day. Her eye healed itself, for which I am thankful, but I was glad that Ainsleigh had the doctor she did because this doctor's son has had eye problems and she knows a mother's perspective in dealing with kind of stuff. It also didn't help my fears since I have an aunt, FIL and SIL with crossed-eyes (fixed with glasses). Perhaps this will be a fleeting thing. I've seen the pics of Tommy and just today I was thinking, "What beautiful eyes he has! They're beautifully framed with such lovely lashes." The girls will definitely go crazy for them.

You'll be in my thoughts tomorrow and I hope all goes well. Keep us posted - and cry woman! Don't keep that tension pent up. We're here for you. Let us be that shoulder for you. Best wishes...

newbelly2002
02-04-2003, 12:03 PM
Lisa, thinking of you. . ..That little beautiful boy is awfully resilient and he'll pull through whatever this is. You will too.

Let us know what happens. Paula

sntm
02-04-2003, 12:18 PM
Lisa! You must be there right now. Sending positive thoughts to you and Tommy. Hope this is something minor, but, if not, glad you caught it early. My mom is legally blind - I emphathize with your sister. Good luck...

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03

Melanie
02-04-2003, 12:39 PM
I'm sorry you have to go through this! If your son does get diagnosed with strabismus, please message me! I have this and would gladly give you any insight, if you'd like it. I wish my parents had known more about it when I was a child. It's not a terrible thing to deal with or anything like that. It just helps if the parents "get" what the condition is about.

Also, if they recommend surgery ASK the surgeon how often he has to do repeat procedures within 1 year. If it's often, go somewhere else! I had 5 surgeries within 2 years to correct what one terrible doctor did and my eyes are not perfect still. I wish I had asked that question! If you are in California, Jules Stein @ UCLA is wonderful.

Mommy to Jonah

gour0
02-04-2003, 12:46 PM
Lisa, I hope everything is going well for you both today. Please let us know what the Opth. said!

Karenn
02-04-2003, 12:48 PM
Lisa,
Thought about you all last night. Hope your appointment is going well.
Karen
Colin 6/18/02

Rachels
02-04-2003, 01:03 PM
I've been thinking of you, too. You'll get through whatever this is! We're here for you.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

nigele
02-04-2003, 02:47 PM
Thank you all so much for you kind thoughts. Unfortunately, we didn't get good news today. Thomas has a cataract and will have to have it surgically removed in the next 2-3 weeks. His lens will be removed and will need to be replaced with either an implant or a contact lens. We are seeing a doctor at Duke who will be able to determine whether or not he is a candidate for lens replacement (this is controversial to do in babies this young.) Otherwise, he will have to wear contacts for the rest of his life (the lens replacement is a now-or-never thing. If they don't do it when they remove the cataract, they cannot go back and implant a replacement lens.) He will also have to wear an eye patch over his good eye for a period of either weeks or even years to train the bad eye to function. DH and I are really upset and scared for our poor little guy.

Sarah, thanks for the compliments on his beautiful eyes. That is the sad, ironic thing - he has really gorgeous eyes. :-(

Edited to add: I just spoke with my Dad, who had two cataract surgeries and lens implants, but as an adult. He said that if we don't do the implants now, they CAN be added at a later time. I must have heard the doctor wrong on this because DH agreed with my Dad (DH went with us to the doctor this morning.) My Dad also said that the surgery is quick and painless. This is a HUGE relief to me! (Although Thomas will still have to be put under general anesthesia.)

cara1
02-04-2003, 02:56 PM
Lisa, I'm so sorry. It's normal for you to grieve now over all the things you feel you are losing. But remember that Tommy isn't really losing anything. In fact, he'll be gaining. (In the sense that he will have vision restored in that eye). Although his life will never be the same, he's young enough to probably never know the difference. He'll adapt so quickly, you'll be surprised. It'll just become his new way of life, and as you say, with the contact lens, will be able to see rather well when all is said and done.

Good luck with all that is to follow. We're all thinking of you.

twins r fun
02-04-2003, 03:22 PM
Oh, Lisa, I'm sorry - I was really hoping it would turn out to be nothing. At least you caught it early. Let us know when decisions are made regarding surgery. We'll be thinking of you and Thomas will do fine with it all-babies are so adabtable and resilient.

Nicole

Melanie
02-04-2003, 03:25 PM
I'm so sorry...I know this will be hard on you and your husband, but remember that kids are resilient. I'm sure he'll be fine or adapt to whatever happens.

Mommy to Jonah

Shirale
02-04-2003, 03:34 PM
Oh Lisa,
I am so sorry...poor baby. I wish you guys the absolute best and will be thinking of him.

mama2be
02-04-2003, 03:38 PM
Lisa,

If I can help in anyway give me a call...Thomas is so full of spunk that he will handle this better than most I am certain!!!

I'm here if you need me...
Hugs to the lil' guy

megsmom
02-04-2003, 03:38 PM
Darn it. I wish too that you were told otherwise and that Tommy didn't have to have surgery. I guess the only bright side of it is that something can be done and little Tommy wil bounce back probably like nothing ever happened. I always think about the poor children in the third world who would otherwise just go blind. Duke is one of the best medical centers in the country so you can trust he is in good hands.

My prayers are with you,
Jen
mom to Meghan 7/13/01

gour0
02-04-2003, 03:43 PM
Ok, now I want to cry too! I'm so sorry. I always hate to hear when babies need surgery... I hope they decide to do the lens replacement, but agree that he will adapt no matter what is decided. Wish there something more I could say. :(

mamahill
02-04-2003, 04:08 PM
Oh Lisa - I am so sorry for such disappointing news. Best wishes to you and DH as you prepare for this. Extra hugs to Tommy.

A side note - I've worn contacts/glasses since I was 6, and although it's a pain, it isn't too terrible. At least my vision CAN be corrected. I'm just thankful I wasn't born 200 years ago, because I would have become the village idiot in no time, flat!

You'll be in my thoughts. Keep us updated. And he will STILL have those gorgeous eyes - they'll just be fixed now!

jojo2324
02-04-2003, 04:13 PM
Lisa, I am so sorry! How heartbreaking! If there is anything you need, please don't hesitate to ask. It sounds like you are in good hands, and it's good that you can take care of it now when things are able to be repaired as opposed to later down the road. Little consolation, I'm sure, but Tommy is a strong little boy with a great mama...You can pull through it! I'm keeping you both in my thoughts.

blnony
02-04-2003, 04:25 PM
Lisa-
I am so sorry that you and precious Thomas have to go through this. The doctors at Duke are so wonderful, I think he is in great hands. I have several pregnancy complications and they were wonderful there.
He is a handsome little thing, and a little eye problem is going to make a difference.
Again, I am so sorry that this is happening and I will pray for him to get well soon. Let us know how things are going.

MartiesMom2B
02-04-2003, 04:49 PM
Lisa:

I'm sorry to hear of the news that Thomas has to get surgery. However we are fortunate enough to live so close to great medical facilities such as Duke.

Let me know if you need anything at all!!!

Sonia
EDD 4/14/03

atlbaby
02-04-2003, 04:53 PM
Lisa,
I'm so sorry for what you and your family must be going through right now. It sounds like it is a good thing that this was noticed now though! Please know that our thoughts and prayers are with you and of course Tommy!

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01

Rachels
02-04-2003, 04:55 PM
Oh, Lisa! I'm so sorry. He's still going to be gorgeous, and better able to see! But go ahead and grieve hard that you all have to go through this. Call if you need a sympathetic ear! Thomas is lucky to have you-- your attentiveness and good mothering allowed this to be caught early!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

sweetbasil
02-04-2003, 07:22 PM
Lisa,
Your family will be in our thoughts and prayers over the coming weeks...I have a friend who had cataract surgery at 8 mo (she's 25 now) has worn contacts since before she was two, and you'd never know. She said it was tougher on her parents than her, since she was so little. You guys take it easy- so sorry you have to go through this :(

kathsmom
02-04-2003, 09:38 PM
Lisa,

I am so sorry to hear that Thomas has to have surgery. There are 2 things in your favor: they caught it soon and it can be treated, and you have access to some of the best medical facilities and doctors in the country. I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.

Let us know if there is anything we can do!

Toni

Annette_C
02-05-2003, 12:15 AM
Lisa, I'm so sorry Thomas has to have surgery. I had an emergency today and couldn't get to the computer to check your posting until now. My eyes filled with tears while reading your update. I can't believe all the things this beautiful, little guy has had to endure already! He is in good hands, though, and I will pray that all will go well.
I'm thinking of you all and sending warm hugs of comfort,
Annette
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02

sntm
02-05-2003, 06:47 PM
Lisa -- so sorry to hear that Tommy will need surgery. Not a great way to set you up for your birthday. Keep us updated as to how things are going. He's is great hands at Duke.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03

egoldber
02-05-2003, 09:07 PM
Lisa, I just had the chance to read through this. You poor thing! But hopefully Thomas' surgery will go without a hitch and then he will feel much better! Thinking of you!