PDA

View Full Version : A discussion board for SAHP?

flagger
02-04-2003, 10:43 AM
I am just trying to get a feeling for anyone's thoughts on creating a discussion board targetting Stay at home parents? This morning I registered a domain for such a thing, but it was cheap so I won't lose much if it fails to take off.

I know there are quite a few SAHPs here and at other boards, but there is really no such discussion place that I found that offers a discussion specifically for stay at home parents. I first thought about doing one for dads, but I would want moms to participate as well. It is all about marketing and getting listed in the right search engines along with a good ranking.

I know of some other boards, including this one which I think is great, but the ones for stay at home dads I found to be lacking. I went through mothering.com discussion boards but found them a little too preachy for my taste though there was good information.

Anyone have any thoughts on this idea of mine.

bnme
02-04-2003, 10:52 AM
I think it is a great idea. I unfortunatly won't be a SAHM anymore once DS turns 3 months, but maybe down the road...

Anyway, I haven't had much luck with any other boards due to their annoying formats! I've heard some have good content but I can't ever figure them out. {Parents Place, for example, with all the archived boards and introductions at the begining of each and how you have to click into each msg).

My advice is not on topic but to have a good format! I think the format here is very good and easy to navigate. I also like how there are general topics where any one can feel free to ask a question (Feeding/Strollers etc) and then the lounge for more personal stuff. I think this makes more people comfortable jumping in and adds value to the board.

flagger
02-04-2003, 11:07 AM
Format to me is everything. And ease of navigation. There are lots of message boards out there, but trying to read through them becomes an exercise in frustration. (Couple that with a squirming baby in your arms ;) )

There is some very good forum software out there similar to what is found here that makes ease of reading tantamount. One message board is like an email list, another is merely a message board. The idea is very similar in format to this and mothering.com but with a different target audience.

Like I said this is a great resource for research before baby and after and the Lounge is great for all of those personal stories which makes the web so fulfilling. I envision areas for playgroup information by region once it grows. I went back and forth though on just for stay at home dads versus parents.

newbelly2002
02-04-2003, 11:49 AM
I think it's a great idea!

I've tried the Parents Place board which I have heard so many great things about but truly my eyes glaze within two minutes of looking. The format hear is, for me, the most user friendly I have run across. I also like the mix of personal and practical information.

Go for it and I'd love to join (will WAHP be allowed "in"?)!

Paula

flagger
02-04-2003, 12:13 PM
>Go for it and I'd love to join (will WAHP be allowed "in"?)!

Of course. The focus will be on those who have the luxury of staying at home, but everyone will be welcome.

There have been some threads here that give me ideas for individual forum headings like "How to entertain day in and day out?", "I'm out of my mind", etc.

I am thinking of registering a couple of other names and having them point to the host domain. Should be a week or so before it is live. As I said before, once DD is born, I will have to let it run itself. :D

mama2be
02-04-2003, 12:14 PM
I can't speak for the endeavor but just wanted to give my two cents about the parentsplace board...how anyone can have the patience to stay on that I will never know. I find the format crazy and always thought I was doing someothing wrong...the pop up ads kill me and I swear my computer freezes and needs re-booting everytime I go on them...or activate a site from there....It is a pain in the derrierre!!!

blnony
02-04-2003, 12:35 PM
I think it is a good idea. This is really the only message board I visit. I hate the format of PP and Mothering.com was a little weird to me also. (More content related wierdness than format)
I think SAHP or even WAHP face a lot of isolation, and it is really a luxury to find support esp. on the web where its convenient. Sometimes I don't always agree with some views here, but its nice to be exposed to them so I can really examine issues, methods and parenting skills more throughly, most SAHP don't get to enjoy that type of interaction at all.
I am excited to see what you come up with.

Karenn
02-04-2003, 12:45 PM
I think it would be great. I too love the format of these boards and haven't been able to find any others like it where I "fit in." Like others have said, I think the format would be key. There seem to be a zillion boards out there, but none of them which I have to patience to read. (Except of course, anything related to baby sleep!)
Good luck.

Karen
Colin 6/18/02

mamahill
02-04-2003, 01:35 PM
"those who have the luxury of staying at home..." Haha, you make it sound like I'm sitting here typing on my diamond keyboard - LOL! If only...

I tried to follow a SAHM board for a while (ParentsPlace, I think?) and I found that it was entirely too confusing and by the time I had logged on, the ladies had come and gone, so any questions I might have had got lost in the archives.

I'm intrigued, though. Way to go, Mr. Flagger - look forward to seeing your work!

flagger
02-04-2003, 01:45 PM
Ok I didn't mean it like you were sitting at home eating bon-bons. I just realize financially there are huge hurdles for having one parents stay at home.

We just made the decision of what sacrifices we were willing to make to make it happen. I also don't want it to be preachy either and put out a message that says those who put their kids in day care are the devil and are not welcome, blah blah blah.

The idea is simple to read, post and get answers but targetted to a niche.

My only complaint about this forum is the message tree. I prefer reading in order of post and always look to the end of a thread for the last message posted. There are ways to show which message is in response to which post but I have to work on programming that. :)

Thanks everyone for their comments. Your input is appreciated.

flagger
02-04-2003, 02:01 PM
Thank you so much for your input. Have you any ideas of forum headers you all would like to see? My thoughts were playgroup locations/discussions by region/state/city. Things to do with when your all alone with baby (shortened of course), etc.

Any ideas would be most appreciated.

mamahill
02-04-2003, 02:12 PM
How about something along the lines of kid-friendly meals? Especially for different stages (Ainsleigh can eat a lot more now than she could several months ago, and I expect she'll be eating more varied foods later on). Or even suggestions for making home-made baby food (something I always intended to do, but didn't quite get to). Heck, anything having to do with food has my vote!

Also, maybe a 'Deal-Time' section, where parents can pass along deals they have found either online or at local stores. And if you really want to get down and dirty - coupon swapping!

I'm going to go on the assumption that whoever is staying home probably takes care of the majority of the household chores - maybe a section on home maintenance/care. As in, what to do when the child finds your lipstick and decides to add art to your walls? Or the section could be where people ask anything home related (even remodelling questions - this is particularly on my mind as we begin a kitchen makeover - cabinet resurfacing, tiling the floor, adding cannister lights, etc.).

And finally (aren't you sorry you asked?!), what about a 'Just for You' section. Discuss things like hobbies/talents we're developing or looking to learn.

These are just ideas I'm tossing around. If none of them make it, my feelings won't be hurt! I look forward to seeing the finished product!

bnme
02-04-2003, 02:14 PM
$ Saving Tips & How to handle the transition from career to SAHP

twins r fun
02-04-2003, 02:33 PM
I love all your ideas, Sarah! And can't seem to think of any of my own right now, but will keep pondering it.

Nicole

flagger
02-04-2003, 02:41 PM
I like almost all of those mamahill. As far as household chores, I like getting lipstick art off the wall. However I think you have to limit home related at some point. There are other boards for remodelling.

Don't want to try to be all things to all people, but certainly something worth thinking about if the traffic could support it.

As hard as some boards are to navigate, nothing is more depressing to administrator to see a dead forum with no responses.

DDowning
02-04-2003, 03:12 PM
I would love to join this discussion board. I will not be returning after Carson's born and would be interested in your online community.
Looking forward to the details...

Deidra
Carson EDD 6-9-03

Shirale
02-04-2003, 03:40 PM
Great idea Mr. Flagger!!! I too look forward to hearing all the details. Being a SAHP (M in my case) is a luxery and a privelege, but it can also be lonely at times. :-) The ideas given here are great- I too gave up on Parent Place b/c it is just too annoying...anyhow Good luck and Thanks!

flagger
02-04-2003, 03:47 PM
For those interested.

The forum will be similar in style (note not content) as the following. It is very similar in style to mothering.coms forums but it is the content I will focus on as being different.

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/index.php

In fact, it is their software the comes preinstalled with the domain I registered.

If anyone has time. Take a look through the threads and see if they are easy to read (not talking about comprehension as it is pretty geeky stuff), just as far as ease at which to follow the flow of info.

atlbaby
02-04-2003, 04:40 PM
It sounds like a wonderful idea! I too got frusterated with some of the other parent boards. This board is such a wonderful group, so a SAHP board would surely be filled with great info. and support too!

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01

ddmarsh
02-04-2003, 11:05 PM
I was involved with a long-time SAHM group that operated as a discussion list. It was very informal and people poste things from what was going on to how to do this or that regarding parenting. Over time we really developed a great friendship. One thing that added to that was that it was private, in that someone couldn't just jump in but had to be added - it really created greater freedom to know one another over time.

Just a thought -

Debbie

flagger
02-05-2003, 11:48 AM
Thanks again everyone for their input.

It may be seen as competition, but I asked the same question at the mothering.com/discussions board as well. The admin or mods will delete if they so choose. I figured the more input the better.

If anyone else reads this any has any thoughts, they would be most welcome. I hope to be live by March 1st if not sooner. I may make a soft opening before starting a marketing campaign for those who want to test it out and offer input before then.

If anyone else has any comments, please share them.

I thank you again. I figure once the baby comes, I will entrust it to others while I spend time with my new one and hopefully it will run itself while I am away. ;)

nigele
02-05-2003, 12:51 PM
I'm with you, Neve! I don't even bother with them.

nigele
02-05-2003, 12:55 PM
"those who have the luxury of staying at home..."

Flagger - you are in for a big surprise!!

C99
02-05-2003, 01:13 PM
I agree. I run a BBS for women and the fact that it's private really laid the groundwork for community-building.

Caroline

flagger
02-05-2003, 01:29 PM
What about a section that is not viewable to those not registered? I hate to have anything that seems exclusionary or has valuable tips that lurkers might miss out on. A forums lurkers will always be a bigger number than active participants.

There are some forums that won't let you read until you register and others that won't allow anonymous posts. From a person who hates spam or the thought of an email being sold to the highest bidder, I like the option of those who wish to post anonymously.

There will be lots of issues to work out before a launch date, and I want you to know that all of your input is appreciated.

Someone mentioned a section for WAHP or opportunities. Is this important? Can you have one without it becoming free advertising or spam on your board? No one wants to see "Come work at XYZ corp" threads in every forum on a board either. ;)

flagger
02-07-2003, 11:47 PM
The site is now in the Beta testing phase and under construction. If anyone wants to take a look and help build or offer ideas you can email me at [email protected] and I will send you the link.

I will publicly post it on March 1st.

Thanks again for everyone's help.